2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Fuel Pump Replacement- Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 06:49 PM
dskup
|
Default Fuel Pump Replacement- Is it worth it?

Howdy folks. I have 2002 Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7L 4WD, 90K miles. So far it's been a great truck and I plan on keeping it as long as I can. But for the last year, I've experienced a starting problem. Thanks to this forum, I determined it's a bad fuel pressure regulator. I've dealth with it by turning my key a couple of times and waiting for the pressure to build before starting. As yet another Minnesota winter approaches, it's getting a little more tempramental. Sometimes I have to crank a bit to get 'er going.

I've been quoted $700 to replace the pump/filter/regulator assembly. I do a lot with my vehicles, but I don't know if I'm up to dropping the tank and all that... especially in winter.

Is it worth it with 90K? The pump works fine, once the vehicle is started. But am I approaching the filter clogging or pump failure time frame anyway? Or do I milk it until the pump fails? I do a fair amount of traveling on the open road in the Dakotas (North and South that is) and don't want to get stuck. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to burn out the starter.

Many thanks for your advice!

Dan in the Northland

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:16 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

fix it, 90K is still young in the overall life of the engine.
it'll last 200K easily if you take care of it

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:03 PM
bpark8824
Champion

90k isn't that many miles. You should be able to get 200 if you take care of it.

...pretty much what batman just said

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:30 PM
dskup
|
Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick answer guys. But what I'm really trying to decided is if I should wait for the pump to actually go bad before dropping 700 bucks. What's the worst that could happen? I'm thinking I could burn out a starter? How long does this fuel pump typically last?

I'm I the only one who thinks the combining the regulator, filter, and pump in one module, contained in the fuel tank is a BAD idea? I wonder if they changed that in Gen 3?

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:34 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

I think I have a similar thing going on. It takes a bit to start up.

Old 11-28-2008 | 08:44 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by dskup
Thanks for the quick answer guys. But what I'm really trying to decided is if I should wait for the pump to actually go bad before dropping 700 bucks. What's the worst that could happen? I'm thinking I could burn out a starter? How long does this fuel pump typically last?

I'm I the only one who thinks the combining the regulator, filter, and pump in one module, contained in the fuel tank is a BAD idea? I wonder if they changed that in Gen 3?
No it seems like a bad idea to me. If it where on the frame rail it would be a 15 min, 25 dollar fix. Since they had to put it in the tank its a 2-3 hour $700 fix. I would just fix it and be done with it. I wouldn't risk damaging anything else and this way you will be good for winter.

Old 11-28-2008 | 09:57 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

yea, fix it now... i'd hate to read you post about getting stuck on the freeway

Old 11-29-2008 | 03:34 AM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

omg...the fuel pump and regulator?...i replaced mine in shop class last year at this time...and i paid.....cough...the dealer i bought the truck from paid 260 for just the pump and i installed it....DONT TAKE YOUR BED OFF......IT DONT WORK!!!!!!!!!

just remove the cross member that undo 2 bolts for teh straps...and remove the connectors/connections...and drop er down....a truck lift and a tranny jack works numbers.......oh and do this job when your on "E"...so u dont have any hazords or the pain to deal with fuel......700 is out ragoius.....do it your self....or get a buddy thats a car "know it all" and have him help u do it.......

Old 11-29-2008 | 06:10 AM
dskup
|

Ok, I guess I'll bite the bullet. Hopefully the new one lasts longer
than 60K. Thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2008 | 04:11 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

yea it's unfortunate... but I would say isn't that still under warranty?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement- Is it worth it?