2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota rear disc brake conversion using 03’ – 04’ Dakota parts…

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:58 PM
earthhavoc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota rear disc brake conversion using 03’ – 04’ Dakota parts…

I'm looking to do a rear disc brake conversion. I know the rules and did my search here, dodge talk.com, Google, and even Pirate4x4.com…
I only came up with the standard answers of using the SSBC, Viper kits. Surprisingly no one mentioned or knew of the TSM MFG kit. So do a search and you’ll see I posted a thread for that kit.

A few people have asked about using the 2003-2004 Dakota parts on an earlier 2nd generation Dakota. Of course, someone piped in and gave their opinion that they could go to the junkyard and pull it off and it should work, blah blah blah.

However, there was failure to mention what size axle the 03’ – 04’ rear discs were on, if the bolt pattern is the same, what parking brake cable to use, if the stock 15” wheel from the earlier 2nd generation will fit, etc…

Also, to date there have been no pictures or proof that someone has done it, at least, no one is willing to post their pictures on here or dodge talk.com or Google or Pirate4x4.com.

So, I decided, I am going to take on the task of doing the rear disc conversion using the 2003 – 2004 Dakota parts and report on the various sizes, brackets, measurements, etc... that I find. I’ll look into getting parts from the local pick-a-part and junkyards, but that may prove too daunting of a task…. We’ll see how that goes though.

Since I just bought a plasma cutter, I may just fabricate my own brackets.
I’ll keep this thread up to date as best I can and post pictures. Please feel free to post any pictures you may have on the subject.

I’m a neurosurgery resident physician so my time is very limited on the amount of “fun time” I get.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

sweet dude, this thread i'll watch

Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 PM
tim mallett

Originally Posted by earthhavoc
I'm looking to do a rear disc brake conversion. I know the rules and did my search here, dodge talk.com, Google, and even Pirate4x4.com…
I only came up with the standard answers of using the SSBC, Viper kits. Surprisingly no one mentioned or knew of the TSM MFG kit. So do a search and you’ll see I posted a thread for that kit.

A few people have asked about using the 2003-2004 Dakota parts on an earlier 2nd generation Dakota. Of course, someone piped in and gave their opinion that they could go to the junkyard and pull it off and it should work, blah blah blah.

However, there was failure to mention what size axle the 03’ – 04’ rear discs were on, if the bolt pattern is the same, what parking brake cable to use, if the stock 15” wheel from the earlier 2nd generation will fit, etc…

Also, to date there have been no pictures or proof that someone has done it, at least, no one is willing to post their pictures on here or dodge talk.com or Google or Pirate4x4.com.

So, I decided, I am going to take on the task of doing the rear disc conversion using the 2003 – 2004 Dakota parts and report on the various sizes, brackets, measurements, etc... that I find. I’ll look into getting parts from the local pick-a-part and junkyards, but that may prove too daunting of a task…. We’ll see how that goes though.

Since I just bought a plasma cutter, I may just fabricate my own brackets.
I’ll keep this thread up to date as best I can and post pictures. Please feel free to post any pictures you may have on the subject.

I’m a neurosurgery resident physician so my time is very limited on the amount of “fun time” I get.
Did you make any progress?
I want to do the same.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

8 year old thread, and the original poster hasn't been here in 7...... Don't expect a response.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:58 PM
Toast9758
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I'm still kinda holding out on this one, or at least trying to find a similar/same thread, as I'm looking to do something similar, in terms of brakes and it having 0 proper documentation

Old 07-19-2021, 09:35 PM
B757Captain

I did it to my '99 by grabbing a complete 9.25 rear end from an '04 Dak. Super simple, width same, spring perches same, the new rear bolts right in. Shocks, sway bar (if you have one) all bolt in. Plug for the speed sensor same (I found an LSD 3.55 to replace my 8.25, same gearing). Brake line interchanges though I did replace the flex line with an '04 line just in case. Parking brake cables must come from the donor though, the ends are different drum vs. disc. You can keep the park brake cable from the pedal to the first junction but it was easier to just replace a the entire cable to the pedal. The pinion yoke is the only major difference - mine had the old style yoke, '04 has the flat style flange. I grabbed the driveshaft from the donor and added the flange to my driveshaft/u-joints.

I did this at the same time as upgrading the front brakes. I got the front brakes, calipers and spindles from the same '04 donor. I did not change any other part of the brake system, kept the same master cylinder, rear ABS, etc. No issues and it's a huge improvement from the original brake setup. The 15" wheels will not fit the fronts and I don't remember trying to see if the old wheels would fit the rear discs - I had a set of new 17" wheels waiting for the new brakes.

Tip - if you do the brakes and get new wheels, grab the spare wheel from the donor or your spare might not fit!

Last edited by B757Captain; 07-19-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:35 PM
RobDak

Originally Posted by B757Captain
I did it to my '99 by grabbing a complete 9.25 rear end from an '04 Dak. Super simple, width same, spring perches same, the new rear bolts right in. Shocks, sway bar (if you have one) all bolt in. Plug for the speed sensor same (I found an LSD 3.55 to replace my 8.25, same gearing). Brake line interchanges though I did replace the flex line with an '04 line just in case. Parking brake cables must come from the donor though, the ends are different drum vs. disc. You can keep the park brake cable from the pedal to the first junction but it was easier to just replace a the entire cable to the pedal. The pinion yoke is the only major difference - mine had the old style yoke, '04 has the flat style flange. I grabbed the driveshaft from the donor and added the flange to my driveshaft/u-joints.

I did this at the same time as upgrading the front brakes. I got the front brakes, calipers and spindles from the same '04 donor. I did not change any other part of the brake system, kept the same master cylinder, rear ABS, etc. No issues and it's a huge improvement from the original brake setup. The 15" wheels will not fit the fronts and I don't remember trying to see if the old wheels would fit the rear discs - I had a set of new 17" wheels waiting for the new brakes.

Tip - if you do the brakes and get new wheels, grab the spare wheel from the donor or your spare might not fit!
what about your proportioning valve ? Did you do anything with that? Just did the 03 swap on my 01. And for an emergency stop I have really force the brake pedal and they will not lock up at all. Hard pedal but its like there not enough pressure or something.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:22 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by RobDak
what about your proportioning valve ? Did you do anything with that? Just did the 03 swap on my 01. And for an emergency stop I have really force the brake pedal and they will not lock up at all. Hard pedal but its like there not enough pressure or something.
4 wheel ABS or 2 wheel ABS?

I deleted ABS on mine, so I can't elaborate on function. But twice i've been tagged at the track for locking up the front tires at ~110 MPH.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota rear disc brake conversion using 03’ – 04’ Dakota parts…