2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

doors automatically unlock...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
hockeyfan989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation doors automatically unlock...

hey, im new and looking for some information on my truck i bought last week dodge dakota 2003. this truck has alarm system with remote starter etc.. what is happening is that, when i get out of the truck i set my alarm on and it locks all doors at the same time.. but 30 seconds later the door automatically unlocks... and every 30 seconds the doors keeps unlocking. (even though they already are). thinking maybe its a problem with my alarm module, went to the guy that takes care of it and he unplugged the system and still does it.. he told my that it was a problem with my BCM thats in the truck beside the pedals. is there anyone who might know a solution instead of me changing it?? thanks.

p.s. when the doors are open... they wont keep unlocking.. only when door is closed..

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's the Central Timer Module that has gone bad. The door lock relays and factory keyless entry system are internal parts of the CTM. The best solution for the problem is to replace it with a new CTM from the Dodge dealer. You might be able to get a CTM from a truck in a junk yard cheaper, but that is kind of taking a gamble on whether it still works. If you use a salvaged CTM be sure it comes from a truck with the same power options as your own truck. If your truck has the factory keyless entry and you still want the factory keyless entry remote fobs to work, the Dodge dealer has to program your fobs to the new CTM by using the DRB scan tool. If your alarm/remote start has its own dedicated remote controls you may be able to just buy a new CTM and plug it in yourself. When you do that, the alarm/remote start should work like it always has.

Jimmy

Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 PM
hockeyfan989

ok because i took out the computer thats in the truck which my alarm system guy told me was the BCM.. i removed one of the plugs.. 3 different size plugs.. i took out the smaller one which seemd to work with my doors. as i unplugged it the doors stopped "dancing" and of course my switch didnt work to lock the doors. also started the truck and seemed fine but realized that it controles the 4x4 switch. going from 2x4 to 4x4. as you say the CTM thats the computer under the hood right??

Old 05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Central Timer Module (CTM) and Body Control Module (BCM) are differnt names for the same part. They both do the same things, but Dodge calls it a CTM, most other manufacturers call it a BCM but they are both the same part. The computer under the hood is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It controls the fuel and engine management and emissions monitoring systems. The PCM is the module that turns on the check engine light (CEL) and stores a code when something goes wrong with the engine, emissions or fuel management systems.

The reason the door locks stopped dancing when you removed that plug is the CTM controls the door lock system. The CTM houses the factory keyless entry/alarm system and the CTM controls just about every electrical accessory function on your truck. Power windows, locks, all the lights and illumination circuits, cruise control, radio power, 4x4 switches, they are all controlled by the CTM.

You need to replace the CTM to restore proper operation of the power door locks. If you want, you might open it up and see if there is any corrosion or cold solder joints/opens on the CTM circuit board, but it is pretty likely you need a new CTM to fix the problem. CTM failure is a fairly common problem on Dakota's.

Jimmy

Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
hockeyfan989

well man, thanks alot. i opend that computer this afternoon and saw on the smaller plug that had some blue dust as i would of guessed corrosion or moisture. so guess that could of screwed it all up. alright so i need to contact a dodge dealer to order one and they have to install it or is it a easy plug in thing i can just order it and plug it in myself? like any programming to do or just plug and go.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

You should be able to plug the new one in and your electronics functions should all work OK. Disconnect the negative battery cable first before plugging it in. The only thing is your original factory keyless entry remote control fobs will have to be programmed to the new CTM. That has to be done at the Dodge dealer with the DRB tool. If your alarm and remote start has its own remote control units, then you really don't need the factory keyless entry remote fobs.

Jimmy

Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
hockeyfan989

what is original factory keyless entry remote control fobs mean?

Old 05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

They are the remote controls that go on your keychain and operate the factory keyless entry system and panic alarm. If your truck doesn't have factory keyless, then it's nothing to worry about.

Jimmy

Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
hockeyfan989

well i have a remote that locks,unlocks, and starts truck from a distance. with the alarm etc

Quick Reply: doors automatically unlock...