2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Getting hot in here!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 AM
drjgarage
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Getting hot in here!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2003 Dakota that just lost it's fan. I think I checked all the fuses. On the way home from work it worked fine. Got in to go out for the night and no fan. It is hot here in the Northeast. The a/c light comes on and you can feel the cooling trying to come out the vents, but no fan. Is there something that I am missing? Relay hidden? Fuse hidden? The fan was working fine, then nothing. There was no warning like a noise or smell. Can someone help me cool down????

Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First you can unplug the fan and apply 12 volts and ground to it to be sure it runs OK. Chances are the blower motor resistor probably is bad. It is a very common problem on Dakota's and fortunately is easy and inexpensive to fix.

Get a new blower motor resistor from the Dodge dealer, it should cost less than 20 bucks. Then just remove the 2 screws holding the old one in and plug in the new one and bolt it back in place. The resistor is on the bottom side of the HVAC housing, down below the glove box in the passenger's footwell. It also helps to remove the passenger's floor vent to have better access to the resistor. It's easy to do, I did mine in the parking lot at the dealer where I bought the new resistor. And be sure to buy it at the dealer, the ones you can get at Napa and parts stores are NOS, because Dodge did a redesign on the new resistor packs a few years ago and they sold all their old ones to Napa. The new resistor pack is made with much better quality parts than the old one. You will see when you compare the old part to the new one.

Jimmy

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
drjgarage
Professional

Thanks! It worked fine! Just like you said!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

YW. Glad to know it's fixed now.

Jimmy

Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM
P4nthers
Default Resistor FYI.

Just a heads up for any one else having this problem. If you let it go to long, the resistor can melt into the socket and that Mopar wireing harness runs around $80. So...if the blower stops....turn the switch to off untill you troubleshoot the cause.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Tituspullo85

I'm having issues with my A/C as well I lost all the back lighting on A/C heat controls and A/C n Heat only works on High. is that a tell tail sign on the resistor going up? or is it just the control unit?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Fan only working on high speed is prpbably a bad blower motor resistor. The lights in the control head may be burned out, and they can be replaced. You can buy new bulbs for it at the Dodge dealer. But for all the lights to all go out at one time is not likely. There might be a problem with the control head. Check the light sockets with a voltmeter and be sure there is voltage present on the connectors with the lights on. Then you will know if it is a problem with the control head or just the bulbs are burned out.

Jimmy

Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Tituspullo85

cool thx for the info ill repost soon as i find out whats wrong with it

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
MarieDeWanna

i have experienced the same but being new to dodges' i somewhat struggled to locate the blower motor resistor.
i now have found some nice pics that will help others
http://www.bobstractorpartscorner.co...anresistor.htm

and as for the part costing $20 us,up here in canuckland
they are $43 can.
any kind USA gent willing to post parts,as its daylight robbery
what we have to pay.

thanks again to all who helped me.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM
nvr2low

Originally Posted by P4nthers
Just a heads up for any one else having this problem. If you let it go to long, the resistor can melt into the socket and that Mopar wireing harness runs around $80. So...if the blower stops....turn the switch to off untill you troubleshoot the cause.
I can verify this as mine would not separate. Instead of buying a new harnes I made my own by soldering leads with quick connects to the new resistor then cutting off the old one and installing quick connects on the factory wiring. works fine now.