2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Efan questions before I go get one

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Efan questions before I go get one

I called my local pick and pull and can get a taurus efan for 15.00. I know I need one from a 3.8 but all I seem to find is a 3.0 will they still work like the 3.8 fan will? Other thing is how should I wire it up im just going to use a switch but what relays do I need? Im hoping I can find a mark viii fan cause I guess they move almost 5,500 cfm on high. Im going tom sometime so would like to know before I go.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Anyone,Anyone,Anyone? At least help me with the wiring im not so good in that deparment.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 AM
User
Champion

50amp relay should be good enough, if you don't want to do your own wiring, you can get one of the DCcontrolers below, it is what im using for my Viper fan...

very self explanatory when it comes to hooking it up...

The FK-50P is the one you need...
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc

Old 08-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More of a question than a statement, but I thought the mark 8 fan pulled higher current than was necessary and the taurus was more than capable.

Im pretty sure only the 3.8L efans are the 2 speed. The 3.0L efans were the dual left and right set up (not 2 speed). Pretty sure. Correct me guys if Im wrong. Either way keep us updated as I am VERY interested in doing this as well and have been making my game plan.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:11 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I would do the efan mod, but after sitting in traffic one day, i decided i wont. Was in sitting traffic to go to an aerosmith concert in dallas, check gages light came on, water was halfway between the center mark, and pegged. I had to shut it off and roll windows down (It was 96° ambient), and run it for 15 seconds at a time between stoplights (coasting in neutral with engine off). Spent 20 minutes doing that, and it still never got to the noon position. Went to leave at midnight, it was still 90°, and needle was at 12:00 no less than a minute after starting.

Texas heat is brutal. I don't know how you do it, User.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
I would do the efan mod, but after sitting in traffic one day, i decided i wont. Was in sitting traffic to go to an aerosmith concert in dallas, check gages light came on, water was halfway between the center mark, and pegged. I had to shut it off and roll windows down (It was 96° ambient), and run it for 15 seconds at a time between stoplights (coasting in neutral with engine off). Spent 20 minutes doing that, and it still never got to the noon position. Went to leave at midnight, it was still 90°, and needle was at 12:00 no less than a minute after starting.

If you have the clutch fan, and a ele fan, no reason why it should get that hot, somthing in your cooling system is messed up, clogged, or not getting air.

Its very easy to ditch the clutch fan and upgrade to a better fan, i used the stock ele fan in my 2000 for almost 3 years in the Texas heat and not once did it go past the 12:00 mark.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:33 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Rantz
More of a question than a statement, but I thought the mark 8 fan pulled higher current than was necessary and the taurus was more than capable.

Im pretty sure only the 3.8L efans are the 2 speed. The 3.0L efans were the dual left and right set up (not 2 speed). Pretty sure. Correct me guys if Im wrong. Either way keep us updated as I am VERY interested in doing this as well and have been making my game plan.
Yeah im pretty sure it does but I guess my need for it is only if I lived somewhere south I think taurus fan is like 3,500 cfm and mark fan was somewhere around 5,500 cfm. I am going for sure to pick one up tom hope I can find a 3.8 one that works.

Originally Posted by User
50amp relay should be good enough, if you don't want to do your own wiring, you can get one of the DCcontrolers below, it is what im using for my Viper fan...

very self explanatory when it comes to hooking it up...

The FK-50P is the one you need...
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm#chc
Im just not good with wiring so im just not sure how to wire it all up.
Wiring is my best option I cant see spending 150.00 for one when I dont know how much longer ill have my truck for.

I think neutral and truck running with heat on and blasting that way your water pump is still moving it around and heater core is helping it a lil bit also. this is if you are moving at least a lil bit.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I think neutral and truck running with heat on and blasting that way your water pump is still moving it around and heater core is helping it a lil bit also. this is if you are moving at least a lil bit.
Didn't think of that at the time, though i've heard of ppl doing it before.

normally, it never goes past noon. Lately where it's been triple digits for days on straight, it will be 1 or 2 needle widths to the right of noon, in 35mph stop and go city traffic.

But just like that night, when I get out of work and it's 96, 98, 100 degrees ambient, it'll be maybe 30-45 seconds after startup, and it'll already be at noon. But I've never heard the clutch fan engage due to heat, except when the gauges light came on at the concert.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Didn't think of that at the time, though i've heard of ppl doing it before.

normally, it never goes past noon. Lately where it's been triple digits for days on straight, it will be 1 or 2 needle widths to the right of noon, in 35mph stop and go city traffic.

But just like that night, when I get out of work and it's 96, 98, 100 degrees ambient, it'll be maybe 30-45 seconds after startup, and it'll already be at noon. But I've never heard the clutch fan engage due to heat, except when the gauges light came on at the concert.
Only time mine was past noon was when water pump was going and now I think clutch fan is going seems like it takes awhile to dissengauge but hell for 15.00 its worth it. I love this junk yard and normally I end up finding stuff I need I got more word they got a few more jeeps in and hope one has good infinty speakers cause the last set I got are so sweet cant beat 5.00 a piece

Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Im just not good with wiring so im just not sure how to wire it all up.
Wiring is my best option I cant see spending 150.00 for one when I dont know how much longer ill have my truck for.
Its not just a control box, it has a slow start, meaing if the fan does not need to be on high it will run mid power, it also has a feature to boot the fan up slowly so it does not draw so many amps at once and kill the truck or make it bog down when it turns on... very decent unit, you can also get a led unit that tells you when its on, and when its full blast, it also tells you if its not on, so if its not on you can get out and fix it or not drive the truck instead of over heating. Totally worth the money, but like you said if your not keeping the truck just wire in a hot switch with an off and on switch and be done with it, its a very simple to wire a switch like that up.

Get a 50amp relay and just use the ground, switch, and power prongs and mount a switch in the cab. I did this for my foglights and it only cost about 50$ for everything.. if that...

Quick Reply: Efan questions before I go get one