2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Brake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Questions

- The driver's side front caliper has developed a "sticky" piston which makes the pad rub (and squeak) ever-so-slightly. Is there a remedy or do I have to replace the entire caliper?

- The genius' at the local brake shop snapped off the bleed screw - most likely by over-tightening b/c there's no fluid leaking. Can I remove the caliper and use a bolt extractor to replace the bleed screw, or is this caliper a total loss? (As a result of this, I've learned, and am learning how to maintain the brake's myself.)

- What pads would the group recommend? OEM/semi-metallic? Ceramic? I currently have Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic pads, and I'm not really impressed with them. Every six or seven months, I have to deglaze the rotors and pads because they develop a shudder/binding sound when slowing to a stop. You can actually feel them grab when my speed drops below 10mph.

The pads and rotors (new at the time of installation) are going on two years and I still have a little more than half the pad left. Rotor's are in good condition too despite the deglaze. So the life of the pad is good, but it's a pain to maintain a properly performing brake system with them.

I'm a pretty non-aggressive driver. Occasionally I get a little wild but I don't do any big hauling/towing. My biggest loads are piling mountain bikes, beer, tents and such for a camping trip. I live in Colorado and do some mountain driving but I'm not a hot-foot on the brakes. I generally just turn off the overdrive and coast down I-70.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this my options!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default best is a new caliper

best is a new caliper cheap $35 install yourself easy to do.

Pads semi-metallic dont get the expensive ones a wast of money not needed a set of pads is $35 to $45 just get the for life Autozone and get pads for life for free.

Get new caliper instal pins/bolts also $5 if you got the cash get new flex brake lines at $20 worth the extra $20

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 09-27-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:49 PM
alt-fuel
Amateur

Originally Posted by jlampitt
- The driver's side front caliper has developed a "sticky" piston which makes the pad rub (and squeak) ever-so-slightly. Is there a remedy or do I have to replace the entire caliper?

- The genius' at the local brake shop snapped off the bleed screw - most likely by over-tightening b/c there's no fluid leaking. Can I remove the caliper and use a bolt extractor to replace the bleed screw, or is this caliper a total loss? (As a result of this, I've learned, and am learning how to maintain the brake's myself.)

- What pads would the group recommend? OEM/semi-metallic? Ceramic? I currently have Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic pads, and I'm not really impressed with them. Every six or seven months, I have to deglaze the rotors and pads because they develop a shudder/binding sound when slowing to a stop. You can actually feel them grab when my speed drops below 10mph.

The pads and rotors (new at the time of installation) are going on two years and I still have a little more than half the pad left. Rotor's are in good condition too despite the deglaze. So the life of the pad is good, but it's a pain to maintain a properly performing brake system with them.

I'm a pretty non-aggressive driver. Occasionally I get a little wild but I don't do any big hauling/towing. My biggest loads are piling mountain bikes, beer, tents and such for a camping trip. I live in Colorado and do some mountain driving but I'm not a hot-foot on the brakes. I generally just turn off the overdrive and coast down I-70.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand this my options!
OEM pads are the best. Ceramic pads create dust and glaze rotors also they need heat to perform well. I know I have tried. I get about 60k on a set of oem pads with new rotors.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default yea ceramic pads are a no no bad idea

I agree simple is best and last longer my only upgrade would be quality rotors that’s what I did but they are not the fancy drilled or slotted ones just heavy duty Bindex or Raybestos I can’t remember I have had no problems with them in 8 years.

Some say the stock rotors warp easy

Old 09-28-2011, 10:40 PM
jlampitt
Professional

All righty then! Excellent!

I still don't get the orientation of the photo 98DAKAZ posted, but I think once I get the wheel's off, it'll make sense.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Smile back side of caliper and knuckle

That is the back side of caliper and knuckle hard taking that photo under car when you get the caliper off you will understand

Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

use anit-seize. on any thing that moves.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:22 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default use anit-seize ??

use anit-seize??

Not sure why you want any anit-seize you mean on wheel studs?

I don’t like that stuff I never use it.

Just remember to lube the caliper pins/bolts just use multi-purpose grease or the little lube pack at the auto store just ask them they will tell you what I mean.

If this is the first time doing the front brakes ask the auto store to explain how it’s done and what you may need what to lube how to snap the pads on the caliper all that stuff they will help.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

we make our own Moly lubes. Same assembly lube for race engine as for everything else that moves, in general. If it doesn't get a moly treatment, it gets a buttload of lithium grease. The latter solved my sticking ignition key issue.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM
jlampitt
Professional

I've finally got all my parts and will be tackling this in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the info! Will report back once it's finished.

Quick Reply: Brake Questions