2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Evap Code P0441, but no visible leaks and new gas cap. What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
stampede 04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Code P0441, but no visible leaks and new gas cap. What could it be?

Hey guys, my '04 is throwing an evap system code yet again. It happened a few months ago and I replaced the gas cap and it turned off. Now it is on again showing the same P0441 code. I looked everywhere up and down and don't see any leaks or cracked hoses etc. The gas cap is pretty new so I'm thinking it's not that. Any suggestions? I don't want to just start replacing expensive emissions crap if it isn't the problem. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
huseman808
Captain

Check the charcoal canister under the drivers side door. Any loose or cracked rubber hoses could cause this.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 PM
stampede 04
Rookie

Thanks, I didn't see anything there when I checked last. I will check it again and also check at the fuel tank

Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile look at engine connections

Look at the engine connections all of them you have some on your fire wall also.

stampede 04 login to your control panel and post your truck info that helps all of us to help you it will show up in all your posts that’s how we see what Dakota you own and are asking help about.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM
markk96
Rookie

I have the same problem with my 2003 Dakota. I just got a NVLD pump, that I am going to replace, see what happens.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Ok I see this all the time and even dealt with it myself. Aftermarket gas caps SUCK! I bought 5 orielly gas caps, each lasted me a month and a half... Finally broke down and went to dealership... Not only was the gas cap cheaper...But it has lasted me 2 years... BUY GENUINE MOPAR GAS CAPS!!! not the cheep autozone, oriellys, advance, xl, napa crap...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
stampede 04
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna chance it and buy another gas cap, but this time a stealership gas cap. I can't for the life of me find any possible leak spots anywhere else. BTW, is it possible to buy a gas cap that doesnt have that stupid click feature? I am no genius, but I think I could tell when my gas cap is tight enough. I feel like it's possible that click feature has something to do with this gas cap bull$hit

Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

did you just do a visual on the hoses? they could have the tiniest hole or crack that could be causing the code - best to pull them off and check them - Just my opinion...

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are about 7 or 8 probable causes for P0441. If there are no cracked emissions hoses then it could be either the charcoal canister under the truck next to the gas tank is bad, the purge solenoid is bad or you could have a bad Emissions Leak Detection Pump. With P0441 it probably is not the gas cap causing the code. If you had a bad gas cap it would probably set code P0442.

I had P0441 on my own truck back in 2010. I posted about it here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...591-p0441.html

I replaced all of my emissions hoses under the hood. I also put on a used Evap Leak Detection Pump and have not seen the code since. You could also have a bad pump, or it could be the charcoal canister is bad. The main thing that causes the canister to fail is if you top off the tank after the hose nozzle cuts off when you fill up. When people do that it causes more gas vapors to go into the canister than it is designed to handle and sooner or later the canister fails and throws P0441 or maybe one of the other small evap leak codes.

If all else fails, the Dodge dealer or a good garage can hook up a smoke machine to your evap system and check it for leaks. The machine injects smoke into the system and when the smoke leaks out of the cracked or damaged part, it shows where the problem is. It's kind of like when you put a flat tire in water to watch the bubbles and find the leak.

Jimmy

Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
stampede 04
Rookie

Thanks for all the good advice. Yes, I only did a visual inspection on the hoses except where you can't see them under the fuse box and battery. They all look to be in brand new condition. I bought an OEM gas cap today for $20. I am gonna run it for a few days and see what happens. I don't know what I'm gonna do next if the light stays on. I don't want to go blindly buying new cannisters and pumps if I'm not sure that will fix the problem. Besides, I never "top off" my tank after the pump shuts off. I also don't want to pay somebody $100/hour to blow smoke in my evap system. What a PITA. BTW, the last time I had this problem it threw the P0441 code and I got a new gas cap and it turned off. That was about 6 months ago

Quick Reply: Evap Code P0441, but no visible leaks and new gas cap. What could it be?