2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Update on sputter/misfire issue, looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on sputter/misfire issue, looking for input

So as some of you may know I've been dealing with my truck cutting out on me. It pretty much only happens under WOT or passed 3k rpms. On the highway if I go up a steep hill and I have to give it more gas in 5th gear (basically lugging up the hill) it does it the worst. If I have it wide open on flat ground it starts cutting out pass 3 grand and gets worse as I get up in the rpm range.

So... this tells me it's not getting enough fuel OR it can efficiently burn that much fuel. I took it to a mechanic I know to throw the scan tool on it and it came up with a misfire on cylinder 5 that was stored in there from prevously (I never remember this coming on) and a EVAP system control small leak detected.

He said like most of you have said, in that, this means a bad gas cap and shouldn't make it run like crap. That is currently the only code in the computer. I ran half a can of Seafoam through the vacuum line today, put a can in the gas tank, and put half a can in the oil. Hoping this will help, but I'm guessing it won't fix my problem.

I have to take my sister to the airport at 4am tomorrow and then go straight to work and then home after which will be about 150 miles so if it's going to do anything it will do it by then.

So I know it's a lot to take in right now but I'm really just looking for suggestions right now and wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. Hoping it's not a fuel filter/pump issue because they're wicked expensive and a pain to replace. Could a bad coil or plug make it do this?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by bpark8824; 12-28-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could be a bad cat. i know at upper rpm;s they choke out the engine. just a thought.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on the cat. Hit it with a rubber hammer or closed fist, if it rattles or sounds like it has gravel in it then you know for sure it is bad. Could also be a bad muffler too. Seems to me if you had a bad coil it would throw another misfire code. Sorry I don't know anything about a 4.7. Did you or the mechanic check the fuel pressure?

Jimmy

Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
ksJoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you think it might be a bad coil, swap #5 coil with another one, and see if the code moves.

I doubt that's your problem, but its free, and easy...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM
gazza101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number 5 seems to be a common problem.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...6-stumped.html

Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 AM
bpark8824
Champion

All great information guys. I didn't even think to check fuel pressure, I should have done that.

I think the Seafoam may have done it though... I really don't want to speak too soon but it was running like junk at first this morning and after a little while the sputter was gone. I just ran the Seafoam through yesterday and didn't really drive it at all so maybe it worked.

I hope I didn't jinx myself...

If the Seafoam has solved it what do you guys think it was? I put some in the gas, vacuum line, and oil. Injector? Figured I would have gotten a code for an injector. Maybe it was that cylinder 5 injector?

I'll check the cat later anyway. Shouldn't be the muffler since the muffler is only a couple years old.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Could have been #5 injector was partially clogged and the Sea Foam cleared it out. Sea Foam is a strong fuel system cleaner. I personally don't care for it, I think it is too harsh. What you could do now is have an induction service done on the truck, most garages and tire shops usually offer it. It's a 2 or 3 step process that uses shop air to force a strong fuel system cleaner through the intake. It cleans the intake, TB and injectors. They also put a cleaner additive in the gas tank and in the 3 step process they spray the TB with TB cleaner. The BG fuel service is real good, but expensive, around here it costs about $100.00 to $130.00. There is another cheaper 2-step service called Ever Wear that is good too, some tire shops here have that one. I had it done on my truck a few years ago when I was trying to get rid of the ping in my 3.9. The Ever Wear service cost me $70.00 with a coupon from the tire shop's web site. It did seem to help. You can also buy a 3M DIY fuel induction service kit at Auto Zone, around here it costs about $30.00. I have read a few good reviews on it, but I don't know if it is as good as a forced induction cleaning.

It could also help to use a good in-the-tank fuel system cleaner on a regular basis, especially if the gas you have to buy is heavy on ethanol content or has lower-quality additives and detergents. I know up north they have the winter blend gas, God only knows what is in that gas. Gumout Regane High Mileage is a real good fuel system cleaner to use. It has the highest content of Polyetheramine (PEA) in it that you can buy over the counter at a parts store. Walmart sells it cheap too. PEA is a good strong fuel cleaner, similar to Chevron/Texaco Techron. Chevron used to sell Techron in a bottle as a fuel additive, but they quit adding PEA to it, so it probably is not as good now. Redline SI-1 is a good strong PEA based fuel cleaner too. Around here the only place that sells Redline is Pep Boys. Amsoil has one called Fuel Power that is said to be good but I do not care for Amsoil. No matter which one you use, it is a good idea to use a cleaner a few times a year, more often if you drive a lot or have to buy crappy gas. It is best to get the fuel system clean with a good strong induction service first, then keep the system clean with a regular maintenance cleaner dose.

Jimmy

Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Thanks for the advice Jimmy. I haven't put a fuel system cleaner through since last winter so it was probably much needed. I don't really have the money right now for a forced fuel system clean but I'll keep using an additive in gas maybe once a month and as long as it is running good I'll wait till summer to have it done. If it starts to get worse again then I'll definitely look into it.

I drove about 150 miles this morning and probably used just about all the Seafoam I put in there. Up here every gas station has ethanol and they do add "stuff" to it in the winter. It started happening right after Thanksgiving so it might have something to do with it. That's about the time that start switching to the winter gas.

This morning was one of the first real cold mornings we had this year. When I left the house it was about 18 degrees. I wonder if the real cold weather would affect it any? I don't think it would really affect it at all once the engine warmed up...

Just curious as to what the problem really was.

You said you're not a big fan of Seafoam because it's harsh. Can it damage the fuel system or anything else because of that? It may be harsh but that might be why my truck is running better now. My brother-in-law had a similar problem with his Tundra once it got to 275k miles and he ran the Seafoam through it and it cured that as well. I'm just wondering if it can over do it if you know what I mean. I put some in the oil as well and even though they say you don't have to change it after I think I'll change it before I go back to school. The oil only has about 1200 miles on it right now so I don't want to waste it but I was thinking if it cleans out the engine too well it may clog my oil filter or oil pump.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Sea Foam says on the can to change the oil after you use it. The main reason is Sea Foam is strong enough that it can loosen carbon and particles of sludge and gunk that can either clog the oil pickup screen, clog the oil filter or the oil can have a hard time keeping the dirt and particles in suspension. Some say that Sea Foam can be bad for the cat too, especially on higher mileage engines. I have read of some guys getting CEL's and codes for O2's, cats and emissions codes after using Sea Foam. I have read that some people had to change their spark plugs out after a Sea Foam treatment, I guess because the business end of the plugs got fouled with carbon.

I think it is a good idea for you to change your oil after this Sea Foam treatment. Maybe try some Regane or Redline on your next tank of gas for good measure and see how the truck runs after that. Regane always has given me a noticeable improvement on the butt-dyno after I use it. The Marvel Mystery Oil I use in my truck helps keep my fuel system clean and working like it should but MMO is a very mild cleaner that I add to every tank of gas I buy. MMO lubricates my fuel pump and also provides some lubrication for my fuel injectors, and it keeps the pintles on the injectors from getting any carbon or dirt build-up on them. MMO also helps to offset the bad effects of Ethanol. Gas with Ethanol in it is very dry, because Ethanol is an alcohol. MMO helps to restore the lubricity to Ethanol gas so I get a better burn of the gas for each spark kernel from my plugs. I have been using MMO for 2 years now and I think it is a good enough cleaner that when used over time I have no more carbon build-up on my pistons, so that is why I still have no ping in my engine even though I am now using a stock heat range NGK plug again. I had been using 3923's for a long time.

You could try a good cleaner like Regane in your next tank of gas and use it again in maybe 3 or 4,000 miles and see how things go with your truck. You don't really need to use a full bottle of Regane with every fill-up. I know of some guys who do, they use Regane, Techron or SI-1 as a maintenance dose with an ounce or two in each tank of gas they buy. Some guys even use a bit of 2- cycle oil in their gas to keep the fuel system lubed. I have no idea how good or bad that might be, I have never done it. Unless you get another code, you are probably on the right track with the fuel treatments but I don't know too much about a 4.7.

Jimmy

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM
bpark8824
Champion

I went and checked the codes again a little while ago and there is now a misfire cylinder 7 in there. I'm not sure how long ago that came up since the light has been on for the EVAP leak. It may have come on before I did the Seafoam.

I think I'm going to clear the codes and see if it comes back. If it comes back I know that's where my problem is for sure.

The seafoam container actually says it can be left in the oil as a long term cleanser. I believe Thunder also post a link to a Seafoam FAQ where they say you do not have to change your oil after using it. None the less, I will change it before I go back to Vermont for my next semester at school.

Do you know where they sell Regane?

Quick Reply: Update on sputter/misfire issue, looking for input