2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking to add a lift cheaply! I know not the best idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to add a lift cheaply! I know not the best idea

Well I've had other vehicles lifted before and the rite way. But this is my cheap beat up dakota that I'm trying to make nice but with 230k on it I dont want to drop alot of money and then have the engine go out or the tranny or something. I'm trying to do things on a cheap budget. What I was wonder is
1. can I use 4x4 ram spring on my dakota and achieve some added lift? if so how much?
2. I know the auto parts stores sell those lowering and lifting kits for the rear lifts that are up to 3 inches. I figure I could do that. Any reason not to?
3. What would u guys recommend as the cheapest way to get a 3 to 5 inch lift besides a body lift?
4. What vehicles could I pull springs from to get x lift?
5. Whats a good cheap way to lift the leafs or the rear?

Sorry for all the questions guys I've read through a few different things but wanted to ask here and get some more info. thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The max "suspension" lift that you can do to a stock 2WD is 2-3 inches. Mine is lifted 2 inches all the way around with 2" lift coils up front, and 2" LOWERING shackles in the rear. That's right, lowering shackles are longer, which actually raise the rear of 2WD Dakota's, due to the spring being under the axle. I'd say it was close to 100 bucks for everything (Dakota 2" lift coils from ebay, Shackles just from Autozone).

For more than that (suspension wise), you're looking at some serious modification, at which point you may as well just solid axle swap it and put the rear leafs over the axle.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker

assumine you have a 2wd? then what he said. other then that you will have to do a body.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

what about swapping springs and shocks from another vehicle? or springs from like a 4wd or from a ram? what would fit?

Old 01-07-2012, 02:18 AM
drunkenpuppy

I feel like it would be better off to buy a 4x4 at that point. If I am correct you can't easily just swap shocks/springs with a bigger truck.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by mgaither0
what about swapping springs and shocks from another vehicle? or springs from like a 4wd or from a ram? what would fit?
4wd Daks have torsion bars. I doubt you'll be able to fit any ram coils in there. The coils from the ram are going to be much stiffer because of the higher weight of the V8 (5.2 or 5.9) engine in the ram. Maybe if you found a ram with a 3.9, the coils would fit, but I would by no means guarantee it. The guy I ordered my coils from accidentally sent me V8 Dakota coils, and I couldn't get them to fit. There isn't enough down force from the weight of the V6 engine. I'm sure I could've gotten them in somehow, but I knew if I did it would ride awful, and I knew they were the wrong coils.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

ok because I know with jeeps guys have used like grand cherokee coils on wranglers and stuff like that.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Has anyone else heard anything about switching coils with another vehicle? if they would fit or anything?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Trent479
Veteran

yes you can put v8 coils and it will lift it an inch or so. nothin too big! maybe 2wd durango's coils...?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:32 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

so v8 dakota coils or coil I use ram coils? what is this about 2wd durango coils? thanks . looking for cheap junk yard swaps

Quick Reply: Looking to add a lift cheaply! I know not the best idea