2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P/S whine will not go away!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not exactly sure what it's gonna "seal and condition" on a brand new pump, but maybe it'll do some good in the rack and lines, who knows, anything's worth a shot at this point.

I wish I never changed out the factory Dodge pump that was in there.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Dakmm
Professional

All I can find by me is the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It says it renews worn rack & pinions and controls squeals and hard spots. Seems like it's thick as molasses.

I did also find Lucas Power Steering Fluid that has conditioner in it, but it's a lot thinner, like any P/S fluid or ATF is, and it actually says for existing whine or squeals use the Power Steering Stop Leak.

Is putting this Stop Leak in a system that doesn't leak gonna hurt anything? How long can it stay in there?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I run the Lucas stop leak in my truck and it works great, in fact that is all that I run in it. The only time that I can notice that it being thicker has made a difference was when it is dam cold outside and I didn't let my truck run for a minute or two before taking off.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Cool thanks man. Gonna throw it in tomorrow and see if it does the trick with the whine, I'll post an update either way.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Well I dumped a full 12oz bottle of the Luca Stop Leak in it yesterday. Ran the engine for a bit beforehand and turned the wheels back and forth a bunch of times to get the fluid heated a bit, and had the Lucas in the furnace room so it was good and warm so it would flow out of the bottle good, since it's as thick as tar and it was 15 degrees out yesterday.

Took as much fluid as I could out of the reservoir and dumped all of Lucas in, ran it at idle for a bit and then turned the wheels back and forth a bunch of times to get it circulated, went and drove around the block a few times and came back........and no difference. Whine is still exactly the same both on acceleration and turning, turning is obviously way worse.

I'm gonna let it sit in there and drive it a bit more, just to see if it needs some time to condition any seals, wasn't really expecting instant results as the bottle says, so I'll wait a couple of days and post back, but I'm not too optimistic.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Alright well this stuff did nothing but make it worse. When I start it up in the morning after it's been sitting all night, the pump squeals for a second as loud as can be since the stuff is so thick, and then even if I let it run for 10 minutes before going anywhere the steering is so stiff it's almost like not having any power steering.

I could be crazy but I think the pump is actually louder all the time with this stuff in it. If it sits for like 3-4 hrs after I get to work and I come back out it doesn't squeal at startup but the steering is stiff as can be again. It sings pretty damn bad when maneuvering into and out of a parking spot too.

I want this stuff out, gonna flush it tonight, I can't deal with another squealing morning startup. Hopefully I haven't ruined my new pump with this stuff.

Is there any advantage to keeping this stuff in a bit longer, or is it not worth having my pump squeal for a second at startup and possibly ruining the pump?

Last edited by Dakmm; 01-18-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default stop leak is some bad crap

Never use stop leak unless you have no choice it coats the inside of your system with a rubbery substance that can gum up everything that’s how it stops leaks.

I know I used it one time my power steering fluid presser sensor was leaking so I used it then got it fixed a few months later.

Well this year I decided to change out my fluid and do a flush of the system I have the 2.5L engine that engine has an external tank for the fluid upon inspection of the tank I noticed the tank had a thick film of rubber like crap inside it I will tell you it took a ton of solvent to clean it all out if it’s on the tank it’s on everything in the system.

I flushed the system out two times getting that crap out.

So beware of stop leak crap.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Alright well this stuff did nothing but make it worse. When I start it up in the morning after it's been sitting all night, the pump squeals for a second as loud as can be since the stuff is so thick, and then even if I let it run for 10 minutes before going anywhere the steering is so stiff it's almost like not having any power steering.

I could be crazy but I think the pump is actually louder all the time with this stuff in it. If it sits for like 3-4 hrs after I get to work and I come back out it doesn't squeal at startup but the steering is stiff as can be again. It sings pretty damn bad when maneuvering into and out of a parking spot too.

I want this stuff out, gonna flush it tonight, I can't deal with another squealing morning startup. Hopefully I haven't ruined my new pump with this stuff.

Is there any advantage to keeping this stuff in a bit longer, or is it not worth having my pump squeal for a second at startup and possibly ruining the pump?
IMHO I think you have more wrong with that new pump than the Lucas. Squealing before and after tells me you got a defective pump to begin with. Is it a reman or a new pump?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb I wonder?

I wonder? if maybe your pulley is spinning on the shaft they are only held on by presser they are not keyed in any way.

Could explain a lot.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Yeah it's a re-manned pump, a Cardone. It sounded exactly the same as the factory one that I took off, before I put the Lucas in it. It is only a very quick squeal/chirp when it's dead cold in the morning, then goes right away, but the steering is stiff as can be until you start to move and bring the RPM up.

I am gonna flush the Lucas out tomorrow, too damn cold tonight. Is this a known thing with Dodge p/s systems, do they tend to make noise like this?? Starting to think I am chasing a problem that can't be solved.

Quick Reply: P/S whine will not go away!!!!!