2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P/S whine will not go away!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:17 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do NOT flush the P.S. pump with any thing that is thin like kerosene ect . use only oil. and add some. ZDDP plus

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Use this to flush

Seafoam Trans Tune can be used to flush out power steering system

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-trans-tune.html

Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Nah I'm done using anything in a can to fix this problem. Gonna fully flush with ATF+4 and let it go.

I still have my old factory pump in case this Cardone takes a crap on me.

Does ANYBODY else have this issue with their p/s??? There HAS to be a reason it whines like this, no way it came from the factory making this noise, has to be a way to get rid of it. I refuse to accept the "that's just how Dodge's are" excuse.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have had no luck using anything lucas made

I have had no luck using anything lucas made. What I use to seal up leaks is ATP-at205
You can buy it at amazon.com
this stuff has not petroleum in it, It is something that will swell the seals and make it leakproof. conditions everything. you can put it in your transmission, power steering pump,Engine oil.

I put it in a friends truck and it sealed his transmission leak at the tailshaft.

Give it a try and let me know.
thanks
Troy

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Flushed all the Lucas out today, stuff was like gear oil sitting in the reservoir. When I pumped the reservoir dry I noticed the screen in the bottom was ripped on one side. Would that cause any issue with making the pump whine? Seems like a blockage of the screen would, but not necessarily a rip.

I've read a lot of things about Dodge Caravan's having p/s whining issues caused by the screen in the reservoir being clogged up. The screen in mine looked pretty clean, nothing built up on it, just ripped away from the edge on one corner.

Anyway the steering is much better without the Lucas in there, still whines like hell though.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Ok here's an update....it's still Effed up!!!

I got tired of playing with it and bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. They found a leak in the high pressure line...I never saw one but ok whatever go ahead and replace it. They get that done and I go to pick it up only to find out now the truck has no power steering at all, so now they tell me the pump is bad....ok so I said well if the high pressure line was causing the whine then why don't you put my original pump back on, so I give that to them and they put it on.

They call me and say it's good to go, quiet and good steering, come pick it up. I get there start it and it whines as bad as when I brought it in...they claim it wasn't doing that when they parked it, guess I have the magic touch.

OK so they say they are gonna order me a re-manned Mopar pump for $100 and will put it in for free.....ok give it a shot but I have no faith at all in it. They call me today after they are done and say it's all set, quiet and smooth and ready to go. I go to get it, start it up....whines like hell....not even one bit quieter or different. WTF are these guys listening to when they have their heads in my engine. Seriously I fell like I'm going nuts!!! I'm $500 into this F'ing problem and not one person can fix it or tell WTF is going on.

I'm about ready to take a can of gas and a match to this truck. I've had enough. Anyway that's my update. If anyone ever has a similar problem and is doing a search, I hope this helps you to save some money and not bother fixing your whine, unless you use the throw a match at it technique like I'm about to do.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Identical problem here. My pump was leaking a bit. I already had a new belt that I put on about 6 months ago. There was no whine at all. I got the new pump (reman since it's hard to find "new") and bought a new pulley. I used the remover/installer tool to take off and install the pulley. The old pulley was flush with the pump and that is how I installed the new one. I put two quarts of power steering fluid through the pump and cooler and the fluid is clear except for the redish from the lucas stuff that I tried as well. No love. Pump still whines. I called the place I bought it and my friend/neighbor that works there is getting me another one under warranty. Now he had two pumps offered in his catalog. One said something about a snap ring retainer and the other was I THINK "bolted".

From the reading I've done this has nothing to do with different types of mounting of the pump to the block. It has to do with the internals of the pump itself. The "bolted" pump was $100 and the snap ring was $60 which I bought the cheaper one previously. I'm going to pay the extra $40 and get the other one. I'm not sure on the manufacturer. I'll have to ask him.

I'll post with my results since I will be doing the work this weekend. Shouldn't take long since I just did it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have never seen anyone with this same problem the problem I’m sure was something completely not related like a bad rack not the pump.

It only figures if replacing the pump gives the same results it’s not the pump.

I also say the pumps in the Dakota are not quiet but not super noisy either but not like a car yes they make noise it’s a truck.

I just say something different must have been going on that’s all.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i put the lucas p/s fix in and i could hardly steer in the cold. put the amsoil atf back in and it is a little noisy at times but a lot better

Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I have never seen anyone with this same problem the problem I’m sure was something completely not related like a bad rack not the pump.

It only figures if replacing the pump gives the same results it’s not the pump.

I also say the pumps in the Dakota are not quiet but not super noisy either but not like a car yes they make noise it’s a truck.

I just say something different must have been going on that’s all.

I have said this time and time again........IT IS THE PUMP!! I have replaced the ENTIRE steering system. New rack, new high and low pressure lines, 5 pumps and new tie rod ends......the pump whines.

It IS NOT the idler, NOT the tensioner.

Being a truck has nothing to do with p/s noise. I can go outside to the parking lot and point to 5 trucks and all will make little to no noise, even other Dodge's. It;s just a hydraulic pump, doesn't matter if it's turning a car rack or a truck rack....as long as it's designed for what it's in. My personal opinion is that these are just poorly designed and the pump struggles.

The pump on the 4.7....not the 6 or 4 cylinder.....is a noisy pump. I have been told that by at least 4 shops I have taken this thing to. The pump works perfectly, it's just noisy and it's just due to poor engineering.

I've tried 2 Cardone's, 2 re-manned Mopar pumps and 2 brand new Mopar pumps....all the same noise, same whine. It is worse in the morning and winter when the fluid is thicker. The pump whines when sitting idling, when going straight down the road and ESPECIALLY when turning.

I've spent $1,500 on this issue. There is NOTHING else to replace.

Please don't tell me it's something else when it's not and please stop comparing it to a 4 cylinder....it's a totally different pump. There is no way to say "pumps in the Dakota" The 4 and 6 cylinder use and completely different pump and the 4.7 in a Ram uses a completely different pump.

Quick Reply: P/S whine will not go away!!!!!