2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

P/S whine will not go away!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:05 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

post a vid of this mystery noise lets hear it lets hear this amazing noise that has you so hot.

you have had experts look at it us on the forum try to help but claim your Dakota sounds like hell... lets hear it

If you hate it get rid of it

Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't the truck is gone, was swallowed up by 8' of saltwater from the surge of Sandy.....along with my house, garage and every tool I owned.

I did have a video of it that I never posted, but it was on the computer that got swallowed also, I might have a copy somewhere but I don't know where anything is anymore, at this point.

If I ever find it again maybe I'll post it, although it's not at the top of my priority list at the moment and unless I end up with another Dak that has a whine then it probably won't be.

Just wanted anyone that was doing a Search to know that in my case the problem WAS the pump....and nothing else. Sometimes you just can't stop the whine when the pumps are designed poorly.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM
eisej
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong pump / Wrong fluid

I went back to carquest to get a new pump. They were ready to give me an identical pump when one of the other guys came up and said that the pump they gave me was the wrong pump. I'm not sure how their system brought up the wrong pump but it did. The right pump was identical on the exterior but the internals and the volume it could push was different.

This was also very interesting. The Cordone website that they showed me at carquest had a TSB for the pump. It said that the pump should not be filled with power steering fluid but instead with ATF+4 completely. How F'd up is that?

None the less I put the new pump on, filled it with ATF+4, and all is right with the world. No squeal, no locking, no foaming, and not to mention the overall sound with the hood open is quieter. I now can really notice the road noise from my tires which are in need of replacement.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by eisej
I went back to carquest to get a new pump. They were ready to give me an identical pump when one of the other guys came up and said that the pump they gave me was the wrong pump. I'm not sure how their system brought up the wrong pump but it did. The right pump was identical on the exterior but the internals and the volume it could push was different.

This was also very interesting. The Cordone website that they showed me at carquest had a TSB for the pump. It said that the pump should not be filled with power steering fluid but instead with ATF+4 completely. How F'd up is that?

None the less I put the new pump on, filled it with ATF+4, and all is right with the world. No squeal, no locking, no foaming, and not to mention the overall sound with the hood open is quieter. I now can really notice the road noise from my tires which are in need of replacement.

Hope this helps someone.
It would be great if you were to post up the part # for the correct PS pump. May help someone out in the future.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant believe no one has tried to swap out the steering box for another model truck and get rid of the stock junk. If you could find a pump similar to one the Dak uses and swap it in. Seems more simple in theory i know but still.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear that Dakmm

Good luck getting things back together thats a shame did you save the tools, House and other stuff salt water is a nasty flood to deal with.

Im guessing the Dakota was totaled?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Sorry to hear that Dakmm

Good luck getting things back together thats a shame did you save the tools, House and other stuff salt water is a nasty flood to deal with.

Im guessing the Dakota was totaled?
Nothing survives soaking in salt water. Eventually the rust and corrosion is going to destroy it.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Can't the truck is gone, was swallowed up by 8' of saltwater from the surge of Sandy.....along with my house, garage and every tool I owned.
Very sorry to hear. Good luck on the clean up and hope a rebuild is an option.

Robb

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
eisej
Rookie

Dakkmm - Hope everything gets better for you. Sincerely.

I don't want anyone getting confused since the issue I had, even though it was similar, the problem was that the pump was wrong for my 2005 Ram 1500. So I'll post the part numbers in the 3rd Gen forum.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
twelsh

I had the same problem with that constant whinging noise. The screen in the reservoir was clogged.

Quick Reply: P/S whine will not go away!!!!!