2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Is my power steering pressure switch is causing my idling issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Well I suggest

Well I suggest it’s the non-fouler trick when you start screwing with these systems you are bound to have some problems.

The system was designed to work with all sensors and all components like a CAT or O2 present sounds like the computer is not happy with the info its getting from the non-fouler trick on the O2 sensor.

I think screwing with these systems just to get a few more HP is just going to cause havoc with the system eventually.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What other "mods" did you do to the truck? I'm another one that agrees that the system was designed to work a certain way, with cats and a 195 thermostat for example.

Anyways, way back when Dodge came out with the "death flash." A PCM update to cure idle problems. It hurt performance.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
MustangMabry
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I checked my idle air control device today and I believe that is causing my idling issue.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It sure can. Did you remove it when you cleaned the throttle body?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
MustangMabry
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
It sure can. Did you remove it when you cleaned the throttle body?
Yes I removed it. And cleaned the IAC itself. But I believe after i cleaned the IAC i think ****er it up cause my idle didn't get worse until after I cleaned the IAC.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile lets be clear

let’s be clear to clean the TB you must remove it from the engine then you must remove all sensors IAC, TPS, MAP then spray the crap out of it with carb spray and use Q-Tips to get way back inside the TB IAC chamber.

Best is if you have a can/tank/vat to soak the TB in for half a day in carb/parts cleaner not sure you can get this anymore.

Next carefully clean the IAC by hand with some carb cleaner and a rag/towel you don’t want to spray directly into the IAC or you will trash it don’t try to clean the MAP or TPS sensors you will trash them if you do.

Inspect TB for bad wear sloppy linkages damage or loose parts fix if needed. Inspect the IAC, TPS and MAP for damage replace if needed.

Let dry then apply a small amount of lube to the linkage parts that move around when in use I used some Mobile 1 oil.

Replace all sensors re-install the TB done.

Just to be clear on how to remove and clean the TB.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
MustangMabry
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
let’s be clear to clean the TB you must remove it from the engine then you must remove all sensors IAC, TPS, MAP then spray the crap out of it with carb spray and use Q-Tips to get way back inside the TB IAC chamber.

Best is if you have a can/tank/vat to soak the TB in for half a day in carb/parts cleaner not sure you can get this anymore.

Next carefully clean the IAC by hand with some carb cleaner and a rag/towel you don’t want to spray directly into the IAC or you will trash it don’t try to clean the MAP or TPS sensors you will trash them if you do.

Inspect TB for bad wear sloppy linkages damage or loose parts fix if needed. Inspect the IAC, TPS and MAP for damage replace if needed.

Let dry then apply a small amount of lube to the linkage parts that move around when in use I used some Mobile 1 oil.

Replace all sensors re-install the TB done.

Just to be clear on how to remove and clean the TB.
My linkage and cables were tight. No damage to them. I cleaned the tb thoroughly and let it set in the parts for an hour or so.

But I did however clean the IAC and sprayed carb cleaner directly on it and I was kind rough on it trying to get the build up off of it. So I may have damaged it.

Quick Reply: Is my power steering pressure switch is causing my idling issue?