2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Interior Lights Don't Go Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
SDowns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lights Don't Go Off

My interior lights don't turn off on my 2003 Quad Cab Dakota. I tried changing the CTM and that didn't fix it (luckily got my money back) then I tried replacing a burnt out bulb in my overhead lights thinking that could cause the problems, no such luck.

So now I've decided that the light switch on the dash could be the problem, does that make sense? What else could be causing my problem?

Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

I had the same issue with mine when I first got my Dakota.

You didn't provide the year/series but
hopefully my situation will be helpful.

There are plunger-switches in your driver & passenger door jams - they control the dome light aside from headlight pivot
In mine, the driver's side plunger-switch was working properly but the passenger-side was/is a bit worn-out (electrical connection cleaner didn't help).
I wound up applying epoxy and two 1"x1" pieces of sheet metal to where the plunger-switch meets the door (to build it up enough to compress the switch to off).

When you get into truck tomorrow, get a friend and both of you, press the switches in as hard as you both can to test out witch one is bad.
I bet you that is your problem.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
SDowns

If that was my problem would I have the "Door Ajar" light on on my dash? A mechanic friend of mine suggested that, saying he had seen it happen a lot in Fords, but he said he would think the "Door Ajar" light and chime would go off if a switch was broken.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Post OK

What he was saying is depress the switch and see if that fixes the problem, if it does either replace the switch or a temp fix is build up the surface by taping something thick enough to the flat surface as to turn it off.

If that doesn’t fix it the switch is damaged in some way so a replacement switch is needed.

If that doesn’t fix it you have a wiring problem and you will need to trace it out

You can get new switches at rockauto.com like here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=43103

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default Ok now

I just re read your question I now think it’s in your ignition switch or the dash light controller the dimmer switch/ headlight switch depending what year your Dakota is I think some have separate switches for each.

You are talking about your dash lights staying on correct?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 AM
SDowns

No, it's my interior lights, the two overhead lights in the front, and the dome light in the back.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default You do know?

You do know that on the dash/headlight switch you can set it to stay on right? Maybe thats whats going on twist it either way like you are dimming them you will feel a click then you are out of the on always mode.

I hope you know pulling the switch out turns on your headlights but also it twists this is your dash dimmer and the cab light when turned all the way to the one side and it clicks in a groove.

Have you tried that?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Lightbulb so try this

So try this twist the headlight **** to one side it should dim your dash now if you turn it the other way your dash lights will get brighter then you will hit a spot of resistance but if you give it more force it moves and clicks into the dome always on mode you will feel it click in.

Do this at night so you can see the dash get dim or brighter. And it does take some force to click it in or out of the always on dom/cab light mode

If thats not it you have a wiring problem or its the door switches.

Dose you light switch look like this???

Or the pull out kind the one I’m talking about is the pull out kind.

That one in the pic I don’t know how you use it but it looks plain enough look at it carefully.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 04-16-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, if you had a bad door pin switch, it would give you a door ajar light. if you roll the rocker switch(dimmer switch) all the way to the top, the dome lights would stay on as well as the cargo light in the rear next to the 3rd brake light. the 2nd click down on the dimmer switch will keep the dome light on but not the cargo light. down from there would just dim the dash lights. if you tried the dimmer allready, then the dimmer switch could be bad or the ctm may be bad. just throwing this out there.

Quick Reply: Interior Lights Don't Go Off