2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3 Inch PA Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 Inch PA Lift

Ive got the chance to get the 3inch body lift for $80 - full kit unopened off a buddy who just never had time. Both of us have 02' 4x4 except his is an extended cab. From what i've seen that doesn't matter.

Anyway, ive been doing my research and it should work out fairly well but just a couple caution spots. I read the instructions that PA supplies and they seem so damn complicated - is it really that many steps?

Also with the steering extension - does it have to be tack welded or does it bolt up fine. Lifting the bed seems really simple and I'm not worried about that, just concerned about the cab and steering extension. Im aware the fan shroud needs to be trimmed.

For those who have done it can you clarify this for me, also any other areas to look out for? I will have a buddy help just for the strength.

Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM
mmguy18
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a lot of steps and it is. But it is not bad and $80 is a deal. The steering extension just bolts in place disconnected the steering shaft slide extension on and it has a pinch bolt. The bottom shroud will need to trimmed a little to allow clearance for the fan. On my 4.7 had extend the lower radiator hose for clearance. Lifting the truck is just a matter getting the stock bolts out and being careful when you lift it that you do not have any obstructions. All n all it not that bad. Did mine myself in 2 days.

Something to think about you may want to go ahead and replace the stock bushings with new ones. You will have it apart anyway and why not replace those 11 year bushings.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

$80 is a great deal, I paid $269 for mine and that was buying it from the states. Just like mmguy18 says steering extension is a simple bolt together application. The fan shroud will need to be notched, mine is a 3.9 and no changes to the rad hoses. Good idea to replace the bushings and use a grade 8 bolt for the new mounts. Should take about 2 days with a buddies help and muscle.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

May want to be prepared for some unexpected issues. When you are doing a body lift you find things that you couldn't see before. When I did mine the gas filler neck was rotted out and found a bushing on tranny needed replaced

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks guys, picking it up tonight.

Im gonna save this for a weekend incase for whatever reason. THis is my only current driver so if something screws up I'll have 2 days. I'll buy new bushings as well, I checked the filler neck and it's fine.

Now, when you say it takes 2 days - is this 2 full days or can it be done in 1 day lets say 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM?

CHeers

Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
mmguy18
Veteran

If you have a partner you could do it in a day.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

That sounds about rite, we took quite a few beer breaks...

Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Got the kit, checked the peices and they are all there. Will be installing on Saturday morning bright and early!

For those with the 3.9 - or anyone really, did you:

1) Drain the rad?
2) Disconnect fuel filler hose?
3) Remove fan - or is there enough room to get the shroud off without taking the fan off?
4) Actually need to take the automatic shifter cable off?

My buddy who has supposed to help bailed and will be doing it myself - just trying to take a couple shortcuts really.

Thanks again - I'll post pictures once its done!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Brian_
Captain

yes please post pics, since ill be doing a 2 inch body soon aswell! also good luck to you and let us know about any problems encountered.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 PM
BCdakotaboy
Professional

On my 3.9 I didnt have to disconnect anything except the steering shaft. Just use two bottle jacks and blocks of wood and lift slowly and evenly. I notched the fan shroud after the lift, just spun the fan and marked where it hit, added an extra inch for flex, and used a die grinder with a blade attachment to do the cutting. Most lift kits tell you to disconnect the rad hoses, filler neck etc, to cover their ***. Just do the lifting slow and evenly, watch for anything binding and you should be alright. Helps to have a buddy tho, saves lots of trips back and forth to either side of the truck. Not sure about the auto tranny, mine is a standard, kit said to remove stick and weld in a spacer, I moved the boot up instead and filled in the gap with another change holder... Remember the brackets for the bumpers are pretty thin so not a good idea to tow using the rear bumper. Any questions, pm me, I've done my truck and my buddies truck both with no issues, cheers!

Quick Reply: 3 Inch PA Lift