2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great find! hope all is well now.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad you got it!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM
bearfroese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Junk wires are gone

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM
bearfroese

Thanks again every one.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bearfroese
Junk wires are gone
I'm glad you cleaned that up. There is the possibility that they may have contributed to the CTM failure.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
zff

Since this thread isn't that old, I figured I'd just post here instead of starting a new one.

When I bought my 2002 Dakota 2 months ago, the passenger-side high-beam didn't work, but I figured it was just a bulb. I finally got off my lazy *** and replaced the bulb... and that didn't fix it. The driver-side high-beam and both low-beams work, so I was thinking the multifunction and headlight switches were probably fine.

I downloaded the repair and parts manuals off this thread, but I can't find a 2002 Repair Manual. It gets a little confusing because if you look at the Parts Manuals, the '01 and '02 CTMs have a different part #, but the '02 and '03 CTMs are the same. But if you look at the '03 Repair Manual, it doesn't even have a CTM. It uses a completely different system centered around a completely different module (the Front Control Module).

My eyes-on observation of my '02 tells me I should be using the wiring diagrams in the '01 Repair Manual. Doing so, I found my CTM isn't outputting any voltage to the right-side high-beam (connector 3, pin 2).

Does this mean my CTM is bad? I can't find a fuse or relay that could be responsible. If the wiring was bad, I'd still get 12V out of that pin on the CTM, wouldn't I? Anything else I should be checking?

Should I have posted this in a new thread? This is my first post here, so I'm not sure how folks like things done.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There is only one input for the high/low beam select so if it works on one side and not the other, the CTM is likely toast.

The feed from the CTM goes to the bulbs, through the bulbs, to ground.

The 2003 manual you see, it's not a Dakota. It's for a full size Ram 1500. You can tell by the body code at the top of the page, DR.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
zff

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
There is only one input for the high/low beam select so if it works on one side and not the other, the CTM is likely toast.

The feed from the CTM goes to the bulbs, through the bulbs, to ground.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Maybe I'm just used to working on older cars, but it seems like overkill to replace an entire computer just for one busted high-beam. It is what it is, I guess.

I was toying with the idea of jury-rigging a relay off the working high-beam to power the dead one, but then I saw the pictures in this thread and decided against it.

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
The 2003 manual you see, it's not a Dakota. It's for a full size Ram 1500. You can tell by the body code at the top of the page, DR.
Wow, I wish I had noticed that earlier. Would've saved me an awful lot of confusion. LOL.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem