2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PLEASE HELP !!! Replaced everything....still intermitent miss real bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM
jaysway007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seams to only do it after it warms up for a minute.....It is not throwing any codes at all now....I have not checked the plugs, but I suspect that the plugs are ok because it runs great and sounds great ,and has a perfect smooth idle and rev until I drive it a little bit.......also I just took it for another ride and this time it ran great for about ten blocks...then ran rough..but it seems like I can get the problem to come and go if I get on and off the gas a little bit...also I have a innovative motorsports open tune obd 2 ot-2 unit...it shows codes and lets me clear them but not much else I will look online and get instructions on testing temp sensor and then report results

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM
jaysway007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW !!! I just took a look at where that coolant sensor is located...looks like a real pain in the rear to replace, and hard to check also...I can remove ac comp and get to it easy...but before I do that I wanted to ask... Does that sensor control the dash readout? because if so my dash is reading fine...cold on start up...then gradually rising to operating temp. Is that enough to verify that it is working or do you think that I need to perform actual test on unit itself?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

That sensor does both.

The PCM sends a signal over the CCD bus to the gauge cluster, it's not like older style vehicles.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the other guys on here know a lot more about these particular vehicles than I do. but if you could trace the wires and maybe probe them in a more accessible place. You would check it cold, then at operating temp and compare the two readings, If you have a repair manual for it they usually give an actual resistance value.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant_sensors.htm

O2 sensor is certainly something to check too.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

Personally I would do a plug read and see what color etc. they are. If they are black or smell of fuel it could lead you to a rich condition whereas if they are white or burned it could be lean. At this point you don't know if your engine is rich or lean and it could help with diagnosis

Last edited by DK Pony; 05-09-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP !!! Replaced everything....still intermitent miss real bad