2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Advice on 1998 Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
arodnom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 1998 Dakota V8

I'm looking to get this on Craigslist. This is what the guy said. Any advice on checking it out? How much would fixing the ac set me back?

98 dodge dokota v8 magnum it does have 221k miles but I have kept it in good condition. The AC doesn't work. Everything else does. It is a 4x4. Dual exhaust with extended cab.

Thanks so much

Last edited by arodnom; 06-04-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: pics
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Clean looking truck. Just the typical paint problems.

It depends what's wrong with the A/C. It might just be low on charge OR the compressor could have failed OR even have an evaporator/condenser leak.

What's up with the rear bumper? Why is dropped a couple of inches?

Edit: check out the front condenser in your pic. It looks like something hit it.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There's almost no information in that ad. And it's pretty tough to give you an estimate on fixing the A/C when all we know is that it doesn't work.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00DakDan

What's up with the rear bumper? Why is dropped a couple of inches?
Looks like it has a body lift on it without the bumper brackets. Mine looked like that too before I installed the new brackets.

EDIT: It actually looks crooked too so maybe it was hit.

Make sure it doesn't have a hockey puck body lift or something - in the first pic it looks like there is a gap between the bed and the frame if you look through the rear wheel well.

It's also missing front fender flares

Last edited by sxrsil3nt; 06-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
arodnom

Thanks guys. I knew you pros would see more to check on. What about the mileage? Is 221k miles to many? I've looked through some of these forums and that's about as high as I've seen. I guess I'm asking if that's the limit? I'm also looking at this one as well, but it has a few rust spots and man I hate dealing with rust. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3761649931.html

Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

That second one you posted only seems to have rust on the bumper - easily pick one up from a wrecker.

Also has less mileage but has a new tranny - may mean that the PO beat the hell out of it or just the original tranny failed (common problem).

I definitely think you can go lower than $3500 for the white Dak.

How much was the red one listed for?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
arodnom

The trucks are same price and yea I'm looking at getting either of them for 3k. Do you think the red one is worth more (better deal) even with the higher miles or less?

Last edited by arodnom; 06-05-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

221k miles is quite a lot for a Dak. Especially on the original engine and tranny - problems are bound to occur.

The only thing that interests me in the red one is the extended cab. I have a regular cab which I love - don't get me wrong, but I wish it was atleast an extended cab.

Without actually seeing the trucks I would choose the white one, but you really should go have a look for yourself. If that red one was maintained there's a chance it'll be a good pick for ya.

When/if you go, check the simple things like fluids, play in the steering, lights, bring a scanner with you (if possible).

Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I like the red one. First of all, it's RED! Just get the hood repainted at a body shop. And it's got the extended cab. Regular cabs (even in full sized truck) tend to be claustrophobic for me. You can't stash your stuff and the dog behind the seat on a regular cab.

Some one says that 211,000 miles is a lot for a Dakota. It's a lot for any vehicle. . . But that doesn't mean that the truck is worn out--just has a little more experience than lower mileage trucks. My 96 has 230,000, runs right, doesn't use any oil (tho I had to replace some worn out seals and gaskets,) and drives like a real, honest truck. A truck that hasn't been beat to hell and has had decent maintenance will still have stuff wear out, but it isn't impossible to have a high mileage, good running truck.

The a/c is a problem. If it's the compressor, you'll need to replace it, an orifice tube, and the receiver/dryer. System will need to be cleaned, evacuated, leak tested, and then lubed & recharged. I could do it myself for about $300, but I've got the tools (manifold, gauges, & vacuum pump) to do it in my carport. And I've done the work before.

To tell the honest truth, I hate WHITE trucks (cars, too.) They scream either "old guy" or "work truck." They don't look, can't look mean and sporty. The paint does hold up better, but, I dunno, that's just not enough for me.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd take the club cab too. I also feel claustraphobic with a regular cab. Besides, sometimes I actually do carry people in those seats.

As long as the body is in good shape, and you have the money, mechanically anything can be fixed. Lots of parts are available through boneyards though. I wouldn't worry much about the mileage. Definitely look under the truck though and pay close attention to the front suspension - ball joints were a weak spot.

Quick Reply: Advice on 1998 Dakota V8