2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Would like some input on rear bumper design

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
jfl1960
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like some input on rear bumper design

Just want some opinions, which looks better. Pics were done in MS paint, back end is as shown in pic #1 right now.

1010_1080small.jpg

1020_1080 (edit)small.jpg

1030_1080 (edit)small.jpg

Last edited by jfl1960; 09-25-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

I am not a fan of roll pans, so my vote doesn't count (none of the above)

Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
jfl1960

HAHAH thanks for you non-opinion, lol. This isn't a roll pan, I should have been more clear in first post. It is a custom fabricated flush bumper made from 2x3x1/8 hss and 1/8 steel plate. here is a pic of the bumper being built.

Last edited by jfl1960; 09-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 PM
magnethead
Legend

still has a roll pan type design to me.

Personally, I would have integrated the exhaust tips into the bumper as a through-hull type design. But like I said, I like a traditional step bumper. Even the 4th gen ram bumper I barely like. But i'm picky with looks.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Wide exhaust, Plate mounted nearly flush to bed

Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by magnethead
But like I said, I like a traditional step bumper.

Not what you asked, tho. I guess the one where the exhaust is integrated into the bumper and is the narrowest choice. You do nice work, btw.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 09-26-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
Wide exhaust, Plate mounted nearly flush to bed
if it was me, I'd do this. Make it a split bumper with the plate in the middle, then chrome exhaust tips sticking through outboard of the frame rails in the (height-wise) middle, with bumper material above and below.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM
jfl1960

First off I built this bumper with strength in mind, I like the look of a roll pan but wanted something that was strong and would function for a receiver hitch down the road, got a utility trailer and boat that need towing. I figured I could just incorporate the hitch into the bumper with a few extra brackets to the frame under the bed area, the receiver will be hidden under the license plate and use a flip down or up plate holder for access to receiver. A totally custom and hidden hitch. Also our vehicle inspection doesn't accept roll pans anymore they want a bumper on your truck, mechanic had no problems passing my truck with this bumper.

if it was me, I'd do this. Make it a split bumper with the plate in the middle, then chrome exhaust tips sticking through outboard of the frame rails in the (height-wise) middle, with bumper material above and below.
I actually did a mock up of exactly that, didn't look good at all with my SS tips, they are just too big to go through the bumper and not overwhelm the roll pan effect IMO, so I am left with basically the three options I have presented. Thanks for your comments guy, I appreciate the feedback. Think option # 3 with plate somewhere between where it is now level with bumper bottom, will play around with visual symmetry and keep ground clearance in mind, also the less I cut into the 2x3 hss the stronger it remains, will post back once bumper is done with a finished pic, thanks again.

Keep the comments coming, ideas are greatly appreciated and are fuel for my creative side.

Last edited by jfl1960; 09-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 PM
magnethead
Legend

now that you say you're doing a flip-plate hidden hitch, I would let that justify the plate position more than looks, so that you can get a good hitch height. Guessing you're also rolling without the spare tire, since you didn't leave a provision for the pass-through wrench. Definitely go with the wide exhaust- routing might be easiest to have it just outboard or maybe right under the frame rails.

Look at how the factory hitch is done for yours. There's 3 holes on bottom of each frame rail for the factory hitch, I think I used 5/8 grade 8 hardware, or whatever fits the hole (might be 1/2?). The factory hitch drops down, but I bet you could run some thick wall square/rectangle tube across there as a cross member, put the receiver tube on top of that, then add diagonal struts forward to the frame rails. The up-high license plate might fit the hitch height a little better. The factory hitch on my truck is about 4" lower than dad's ram, so if you pick the hitch up two inches, then you're almost at a good height, just flip the hitch upside down for a 3/4" rise.

GTK that they are finally dissing the fiberglass "there for looks only" rollpans, at least in our northern neighbor.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:09 AM
jfl1960

now that you say you're doing a flip-plate hidden hitch, I would let that justify the plate position more than looks, so that you can get a good hitch height. Guessing you're also rolling without the spare tire, since you didn't leave a provision for the pass-through wrench. Definitely go with the wide exhaust- routing might be easiest to have it just outboard or maybe right under the frame rails.

Look at how the factory hitch is done for yours. There's 3 holes on bottom of each frame rail for the factory hitch, I think I used 5/8 grade 8 hardware, or whatever fits the hole (might be 1/2?). The factory hitch drops down, but I bet you could run some thick wall square/rectangle tube across there as a cross member, put the receiver tube on top of that, then add diagonal struts forward to the frame rails. The up-high license plate might fit the hitch height a little better. The factory hitch on my truck is about 4" lower than dad's ram, so if you pick the hitch up two inches, then you're almost at a good height, just flip the hitch upside down for a 3/4" rise.

GTK that they are finally dissing the fiberglass "there for looks only" rollpans, at least in our northern neighbor.
Yup that's just about the way I have it in my minds eye, what is the height from the ground to the top of you receiver ball on your truck? I was thinking of using a hitch with a rise on it to achieve the proper ball height, also I have the rear lowered 3", might use some air shocks back there to help on leveling the truck when towing.

Quick Reply: Would like some input on rear bumper design