2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

air bag system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM
JimM68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag system?

My nice lil 2003 dakota slt 4x4 has a booboo.
She ran into a dodge ram and the trailer hitch punched out a good part of her front end.
Yesterday I replaced the radiator, condensor, trans cooler, both fans, and the rad shroud, she runs again and nothing leaks.

Time to order some body parts.

About 5 seconds after she stopped, both air bags blew. Cosmetically I'm not real concerned, and I'm not a fan of cars that blow up in your face, but...

The air bag light is on, and if I start the motor, the brake lights come on, and stay on for some time after shutting down.

Anyone have any info on this system?
My primary goal is to restore proper operation of the brake lights.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Jim,

Is it the ABS or brake light that is on? The red light indicates a problem with the braking system. The ABS light indicates a problem with the ABS.

First of all, go through the brakes and rule out a mechanical problem. After that, if you still have the light, get the codes read. You'll need a scanner that reads body codes or your dealer can scan it with the DRB. Then you'll know exactly why the brake light is on.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:22 PM
JimM68

Dan, thanks for the reply. Sounds like I wasn't clear.

The only light on the dash is the air bag light.

The brake lights, exterior, on the back of the truck are on.
they come on when I start the engine, and stay on for perhaps 10 minutes after I turn the engine off.
I ***-ume that "big brother" has instructed the truck that since the air bags are deployed, it should light up real bright to make sure no one else runs into it.

Regardless, my insurance doesn't include colision coverage. repair quote was $5k for the body and paint, plus another $3000 to replace both air bags, sensors, and an "air bag computer"

I'mnot interested in fixing the air bags, just want to make the brake lights work.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd be curious as to the brake light switch. Try changing that out - it's not adjustable after installation.

Maybe it got damaged if you stomped hard on the brakes.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 159 Likes on 146 Posts

No, I think he is right- when air bags deploy, it sets off a switch to light the brake lights. Newer cars light the hazards and brake lights.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:41 AM
JimM68

Yes but, How do I get the system to turn off the brake lights?

From what I've been told (from the body shop) and what I understand...

There are sensors that trip on rapid deceleration.
The sensors are connected to the "air bag computer"
The computer tells the air bags to deploy, and then it dies so it must be replaced at a cost of near $300...
And the "air bag computer" talks to the "Body computer" which lights the brake lights and the "Air bag" light on the dash.

The body shop said near $3k just to fix the airbag system.
This is not going to happen. If I have to, I'll run a new wire from the brake light switch to the lights, and chop out all the government mandated stuff that is in there.

I've needed to deal with the body computer before. It's under the trim panel on the drivers side kick panel, and it controls lots of stuff, including the headlights, cruise control, interior lights, transfer case, and lots of other stuff.

Oddly I don't recall it controlling the brake lights.

Anyone have any experience or real knowledge with this system?

Maybe this thread would be better in the DIY section?

I'd imagine the air bag system would be very similar throughout the Chrysler line, and this 2003 year range....

Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Is this a Dodge (Mopar) body shop or a generic?

Start by getting the airbag and ABS codes read. Many scanners won't read these codes but your dealer can. Just get them read, you don't have to get them fixed there.

The CTM would respond to an air bag deployment. From the FSM:

Enhanced Accident Response - The high-line CTM provides an optional enhanced accident response feature. This is a programmable feature.
Don't count on the airbag system being the same on the different lines. Many things vary, even between Dakota, Durango, and Ram.

I don't see steering column on your list. It's supposed to be replaced after a deployment. With that and all the airbags, new, $3000 would probably be about right.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM
JimM68

Itsa generis body shop, and still works at near $100 per hour.
Our local dodge dealer doubles that, and a charges a 1 hr minimum at service rates to read any codes.

Dan, I appreciate your replies, but...

I am looking to restore my Dakota to service by myself. I am able. I'm a good mechanic, I've worked on everything from chain saws to US Navy missile guidance radar.

I'm looking for the knowledge to cheat this system and restore proper operation to the brake lights.
I am NOT looking for any reasons that someone thinks I should pay dealer shop rates to use new mopar parts to restore my 10 year old truck back to it's full fedeally mandated status.
Heck, I'm still pissed the truck blew up in my face measureable time after coming to a complete halt. And the pass bag blew, no one was in that seat. And the drivers bag knocked the cruise control switches off, more stuff I have to buy.

Heck, I just bought all the body parts I need, with free delivery, for $362.
The dodge dealer quoted that for the front bumper cover.

Can anyone share any knowledge on how this system works, and what signals what to turn the brake lights on if the air bags deploy?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by JimM68
Can anyone share any knowledge on how this system works, and what signals what to turn the brake lights on if the air bags deploy?
The CTM handles the "accident response." It's triggered by the airbag module and the data comes over the PCI bus. From what I read it only unlocks the doors, prevents them from being locked, and turns on the dome lights. I don't see anything that mentions it triggering the brake lights.

Have you checked the brake light switch?

If you have a wiring diagram it should be an easy matter to wire around it.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 159 Likes on 146 Posts

also, will it pass state inspection with certain things unhooked? I want to say yes since inspection reads PCM, but I wouldn't be so sure.

Quick Reply: air bag system?