2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Odd behavior in OEM Security System

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013 | 12:30 PM
Dunestrider
|
Default Odd behavior in OEM Security System

I've been having some odd problems in my OEM security system, that has been showing up lately.

Normally, as you would expect, clicking the lock button on the key Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) pad will lock the door locks and cause the horn to beep, to show that it is locked. Clicking the unlock button disarms the alarm and unlocks the doors. Manually opening a door without disarming the alarm causes the alarm to sound.

Several weeks ago, I noticed that sometimes hitting the lock button on the RKE button will not lock the truck, nor make the horn beep. So I replaced the batteries in the RKE. I am not sure if this symptom is related to what I am experiencing now:

Now, for the last couple of weeks, almost every single day, first thing in the morning, when I press the unlock button on the RKE, the truck will beep its horn three times. According to the official service manual:

The Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) tamper alert will sound the horn three times upon disarming, if the alarm was activated and has since timed-out (about fifteen minutes). This feature alerts the vehicle operator that the VTSS was activated while the vehicle was unattended.
As I mentioned, this happens first thing in the morning, and only first thing in the morning. It never happens later in the day. I am not sure if it is the cooler weather; so far, it has only dropped down into the upper 30s to mid-forties.

Also, I know with absolute certainty that the "VTSS was activated while the vehicle was attended."

A couple of times, in the last couple of weeks, instead of this happening (the horn beeping three times), the truck ignores the unlock button altogether. So when I unlock the door manually, the alarm goes off. Then, clicking the unlock button a couple of times, turns off the alarm. So far this has worked.

Does anybody have any idea as to where to start in finding a solution?

This is for a 1997 Dodge Dakota.

Old 11-11-2013 | 12:45 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator

Where do you park your truck? Is it possible the alarm is going off during the night and you're not hearing it?

As for the intermittent remote operation, mine is kind of weird sometimes, too. For example, it almost never works to lock and arm when I get to work in the morning (6AM), but always works fine later in the day. Also, if I park in a different parking space from where I usually park, it works fine. I just figured it was the multiple, high-voltage power lines directly above where I park that were interfering with the radio signal or something.

Old 11-12-2013 | 07:50 AM
Dunestrider
|

Originally Posted by Tom A
Where do you park your truck? Is it possible the alarm is going off during the night and you're not hearing it?
It's right by my bedroom window (and I am a light sleeper), so I am certain it is not going off, practically every morning.

I checked the truck with one of those code-reading gadgets. It didn't show anything (although I never expected it to; I don't think there are any sensors that deal with the alarm setting).

I don't mind the 3 beeps; what alarms me (pun intended) is the occasional behavior where it won't disarm the alarm. So far, I keep pressing the unarm button, and eventually it works, but what if it doesn't work? I could deal with the horn beeping while I'm driving, but the alarm won't let the truck run if the alarm is going off.

I'm actually not that concerned about the alarm itself, I doubt if anybody will steal it. But it is useful, when I'm in a parking lot and I forgot where I parked the truck, that I can beep it from remote to find it.

Old 11-12-2013 | 07:58 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator

I'm almost certain mine also disarms when you open the door with the key, though I never do it that way. Even if the alarm starts going off, it should stop when you turn on the key.

Old 11-12-2013 | 08:15 PM
magnethead
Legend

Mine does the same thing, particularly the morning after a rain or the sprinklers have ran. Mine also sits outside my window.

Old 11-12-2013 | 08:16 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Tom A

As for the intermittent remote operation, mine is kind of weird sometimes, too. For example, it almost never works to lock and arm when I get to work in the morning (6AM), but always works fine later in the day. Also, if I park in a different parking space from where I usually park, it works fine. I just figured it was the multiple, high-voltage power lines directly above where I park that were interfering with the radio signal or something.
that is a valid assumption.

I'm noticed that my RKE works best from the drivers rear direction (long range), and worst from the passenger front direction (very short range).

Old 11-16-2013 | 10:29 AM
Dunestrider
|
Default Everything points to the CTM...

So, looking at the Official Service Manual, everything seems to point to the CTM (Central Timer Module). I cannot verify this, because I need the DRM scan tool. The CTM comes in two varieties; the one with the security system is the "high line" CTM.

The official manual sez that the CTM cannot be repaired, only replaced.

Old 11-21-2013 | 10:02 PM
rob_dobbs

having prior owned an 02 PT Loozer the same issues plagued that car too. Even worse is the car would unlock itself regularly while other times it would freak out chatter style locking and unlocking. It seemed like radio frequency interference. Seeing others had the same problems I had the system replaced with a good aftermarket alarm. After that of course zero problems.
I should also add that thieves target certain vehicles based on known issues with factory security systems. Dodge trucks are a huge target due to this. If you are having issues where the doors unlock themselves, I suggest a new alarm system all together.

Old 11-22-2013 | 09:39 PM
magnethead
Legend

I think mine is humidity based. The only time it will go off 3 times at unkey, is when it has just rained or is foggy. Even when parked in a dry parking garage during a rain storm, it'll go off 3 times. wierd.

Quick Reply: Odd behavior in OEM Security System