2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaking Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 05:33 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

Well they pulled the heads today and I got them to the machine shop. The mechanic said it looked like cylinder 5 had taken a steam bath...

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:56 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Probably too late now, as they've started the work. I believe that a simple letter from a lawyer would have succeeded in getting you a refund. These places are pretty adept at gauging your level of seriousness when threatening legal action. They do it all the time.

Old 06-25-2014 | 10:02 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Unhappy

Yep they are very good at it you need to be 500% more determined than they are.

They have a lot of practice at it you don't

Plus you need a working auto NOW they can just sit it out no sweat

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 06-25-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-25-2014 | 08:55 PM
KillerKilgore
Professional

In 87 bought 80 firebird from car lot. got a 5000 mile warranty on engine and transmission.
'Bout 1000 miles and a month later AND 400 miles away engine blew.
Call the lot and they said sure they fix it all I had to do was tow the car to them.
Used is used and I got burnt. Happens to all of us at one time or another.
Buddy got a car from the same lot. Drove around for 6 months with dealer paper tags.
Until they finally told him couldn't get a title and the car was stolen and he'd have to return it.

Old 06-26-2014 | 06:43 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

I picked the heads up from the machine shop this afternoon. I had a warp of .008 However, they had to take off a total of .015 due to a spot that was worn from a water jacket to the cylinder on cylinder #5. I dropped the heads off at the dealership and it should be ready for me to pick up by Monday, as the mechanic will be off for much of the day tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2014 | 08:24 AM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Might as well put new rings on the pistons. Since it's down that far already.
Don't know who but somebody on here should be able to do the math and should be able to tell you what the new compression should be.

Good Luck.

Old 06-27-2014 | 10:31 AM
KillerKilgore
Professional

Was thinking after your truck is repaired take the PAID bill back to the car lot.
Ask, don't demand, ask for all or at least half of your money back.
Don't be a smarta$$ or anything, just politely ask. More with sugar than vinegar ya know.
Remind the salesman that an unhappy customer tells everybody they can about an unhappy experience. And you have a lot of friends.
Then if he doesn't make it right, take out a small add in the paper or something and explain what happened.
Look and see if they have a facebook page or something. Become a friend. Then post about your experience. Don't lie or exaggerate, just tell the truth.

A repeat customer is hard to find.

Old 07-02-2014 | 09:37 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

Well, I picked my truck up today, I was kind of in a hurry to get out of there because I had an appointment to get a break controller installed because I plan on going camping this weekend. They ordered new heat shields for the exhaust because they said each one only was able to be bolted on by two bolts instead of four due to being rusted. I notice a ticking sound that does not get faster when the RPM's go up, could it just be the head shields? I'm so worried right now that it's making me sick! I also noticed a little coolant on the oil cap and wiped it off and it has not come back. There was also some oil in the coolant at the radiator cap/ I'm not sure if they flushed the coolant or not, but I doubt they did. Could both of those have been left over from the previous condition (blown head gasket)? I've already called the salesman and he stated they will take care of anything that was not done correctly. Could it still possibly be a cracked engine block or something? Any thoughts? Please put my mind at ease.

Old 07-02-2014 | 10:35 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

How do you know it was coolant on the oil cap? Some condensation is normal.

Oil in the coolant? They should have flushed the system. They had to drain it after all to replace the heads.

Where is the tick coming from? If it doesn't vary with RPM it could be the heat shields expanding/contracting.

Old 07-02-2014 | 10:55 PM
tomes1978
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
How do you know it was coolant on the oil cap? Some condensation is normal.

Oil in the coolant? They should have flushed the system. They had to drain it after all to replace the heads.

Where is the tick coming from? If it doesn't vary with RPM it could be the heat shields expanding/contracting.
It was obviously coolant on the oil cap, but I did wipe it down and drove some more and it did not come back. So I'm hoping it was just from before they did the job.

I'm not sure if they flushed the coolant or not. But there was a small amount of oil at the radiator cap. Skimmed it away and checked it again and none came back after driving some more. I know they should have flushed the cooling system but I really doubt he did. I'll ask him tomorrow.

I can't tell where the ticking sound is coming from, but it does not speed up with the rpm's. Could it be timing chain? I really hope the new heat shields take care of it tomorrow, but I doubt it as I was putting pressure on them as the car was running and sound did not change. There are no codes or check engine light....

Quick Reply: Leaking Coolant!!!