2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELP!! Replaced waterpump..!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Existence
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! Replaced waterpump..!?!?

I have an '02 Dodge Dakota SLT. The Waterpump had been going out for about a month now. I am fairly broke so I decided to replace it myself. Everything went fine until the very end when I rushed through the final pieces. I forgot to put the gasket on the inside of the waterpump, and I filled the Engine Coolant OVERFLOW tank and not where the fluid goes in the hose... So... When I had figured this out, I had driven a little over 5 miles and saw smoke starting to emit from my engine. I just pulled over and left it there overnight and after all the smoke went away when i turned it back on, there was a slight clicking noise.

Yesterday when I went back to it, installed the gasket, drained the overflow, filled the right part... It was leaking?? It would start to overheat quickly... lots of smoke.. but I was in a rush so I drove it anyways.. The clicking is my main concern at this point... it almost makes my engine sound like a Diesel Engine. It overheated fiercely and I had to leave it there.

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a new engine is in your future.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
It sounds like a new engine is in your future.
this.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm going to agree. What engine was it? If the 4.7, you've pretty much killed it.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Existence
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 3.9l v6...

Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The good thing about the 3.9 is that it's all cast iron. Still, driving it for 5 miles with no coolant didn't do it any favors.

Can you pinpoint where the clicking is coming from?

I'd start with a compression test. You could have blown the head gasket.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM
magnethead
Legend

head gasket or valve seat is the only things overheating can overly kill. If it was smoking though, you may have cooked the piston rings. You'' need to do a compression test and leakdown test to know for sure without a teardown.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Existence
Yesterday when I went back to it, installed the gasket, drained the overflow, filled the right part... It was leaking?? It would start to overheat quickly... lots of smoke.. but I was in a rush so I drove it anyways. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?
You can never be in such a rush that you'd drive an overheated engine... unless it was life and death. I'm afraid the damage might already be done so this might be fyi....

When adding the coolant, you need to run the truck with the coolant cap off (not overflow), until it's fully hot and the fans are kicking in. You will probably see air bubbles coming up and you'll keep adding coolant as the level drops, until the air is gone.

Air pockets and the mother of all air pockets - no coolant - will kill your engine.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:09 PM
magnethead
Legend

What I did when i replaced radiator, I took the belt off and spun the water pump by hand to burp a chunk of the air out without having the engine heat take part. Once I didn't get any more air bubbles that way, then I put the belt on and ran it until the thermostat opened, then put the cap on.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
What I did when i replaced radiator, I took the belt off and spun the water pump by hand to burp a chunk of the air out without having the engine heat take part. Once I didn't get any more air bubbles that way, then I put the belt on and ran it until the thermostat opened, then put the cap on.
Once you start the engine, the water pump is spinning before it heats up anway.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Replaced waterpump..!?!?