2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Torsion crank question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion crank question

I have a 3" body lift on the way and will be running 33x10.50-15 BFG mud terrains. I ran these same tires on my last DAK with just a 1.5" T bar crank and a 1.5" block lift in the rear. I felt like that was just about right. But it took it's toll on the CV axles and ball joints. I blew through 2 passenger side CV's in a year (had to repair it on the side of the road) and ball joints on both sides were about toast when I sold it. That's why I want to go with the body lift on this truck.

But, with that being said... the front of my truck currently sits higher than the rear and I'm not a fan of that look. If I put the 3" BL on and then drop the front down 1" to 1 1/2" will the lowering also effect the angles enough to wear out CV axles and ball joints or it that just a problem with cranking it higher?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

bump...

Old 10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

Hmm... I figured SOMEONE might know.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:59 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made a post on a Friday night. People are out doing stuff. Give it some time, and you will get your answers.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have an answer.

It's not an easy question, not everyone is into body lifts or torsion cranks. You're changing the geometry on the joints and that can lead to wear/failure.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In general, the less angle you have on the CV joints, the longer they'll last. Chances are, your axle shafts are angled slightly down now, so lowering the front end an inch should make them more level (a good thing).

Old 10-27-2014, 12:32 PM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front is sitting higher than the rear now I would guess someone already cranked the bars in the front or maybe it's time to replace shocks in the rear or there could be something else causing the rear to sag.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM
TheNewbie
Professional

Originally Posted by Tom A
In general, the less angle you have on the CV joints, the longer they'll last. Chances are, your axle shafts are angled slightly down now, so lowering the front end an inch should make them more level (a good thing).
Thank you. That's exactly what I was wanting to confirm...

Originally Posted by hanleysh
If the front is sitting higher than the rear now I would guess someone already cranked the bars in the front or maybe it's time to replace shocks in the rear or there could be something else causing the rear to sag.
It is highly possible that someone cranked it somewhere along the way. But just for the record, shocks have absolutely nothing to do with how high a vehicle rides. Ride height is determined by the spring rate. You could remove the shocks completely and it wouldn't lower your vehicle at all. It would just get a lot more bouncy.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its not necessarily the tb crank that wore out everything. The 33's will have a effect on it. I ran my 98 with the tb cranked with 32's for about a year with moderate off roading and my ball joints and hub bearings were still tight when I sold it.

Quick Reply: Torsion crank question