2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

hvac question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM
mideerslayer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
If you can get it to come out of all the locations, at some point, the actuators themselves are OK.

It sounds like a control head issue. Basically, all you are doing when you select a function is applying a vacuum or venting. The control head is basically a multi-position valve.

Try a boneyard.
Is the control head the part that is in the dash that you make your selections?

I was out there messing around with it today and I removed the vacuum part and it didnt change, but if I moved the selcetion from say low to high on the blower, it would cause more air to blow but not change and this is while having the vacuum part off. I did pull on the cable for the blend door and I seem to have some what "fixed that"

I have a chance to get a replacement of this part in the dash, and if its the culprit I will grap it

Old 01-26-2015, 05:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, the part with the ***** you turn is the control head.

If you pull the vacuum hoses (the bundle) off, air should come of out the defroster.

Do you have a strong source of vacuum at the black hose?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 PM
mideerslayer
Rookie

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Yes, the part with the ***** you turn is the control head.

If you pull the vacuum hoses (the bundle) off, air should come of out the defroster.

Do you have a strong source of vacuum at the black hose?
With it on or off its coming out of the defrost, when its on it some what comes out of the other vents when moving it around.

Im starting to think the t-stat is bad, as the air is only luke warm when it is blowing at the highest setting before the air stops coming out all together.

I was manually moving the cable that controls the blend door and it I pushed it in all the way I lost all air (warm), I pull it back just a tad and it blows full on but just luke warm.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do you have a strong vacuum on the black hose? If you don't, that will cause problems to the mode doors. The black hose, where it connects to the control head.

On the thermostat, get one from a dealer or ONLY use a name brand like Stant.

There are lots of "bad" thermostats out there. Get one with the OEM temp. It should be 195.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:21 AM
mideerslayer
Rookie

I checked that black vacuum line and no vacuum at all.

Also, the check valves you mentioned, which way so the air go towards to brake booster or away, same with the small one a few feet away

Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

With no vacuum from the black hose at the control head the mode doors won't work. Follow the line back.

The check valve, just the one, as in the picture I posted earlier allows air to flow towards the engine.

You can "bypass" the check valve for testing, the only thing is that the mode doors will change position as you accelerate/decelerate.

Can you post a picture of the tee that you referred to earlier?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
mideerslayer
Rookie

well Im going to bang my head against the wall.

I cut the black vaccum line to test it while I was waiting at the dr's, and that's how I found out there was no vacuum.

While driving home I was playing around with the controls and low and behold air started to come out of the center vent, I hit a bump and it went away.

I traced teh black line back and it was disconnected from a clip looking thing, so I re attached it and I am now getting vacuum to the control head.

Now this is the part that has me lost, I go thru all the different vents and it is still going to the defrost, but if I put it on anything but defrost you can hear lots of air under the foot area on the passenger side.

So I reached up there with my hand I iI' pushing the actuator that's under there and it seems the harder and farther I push it, the air flow slows down from coming from the area. Almost like there is a big leak.

So I'm thinking one of two things, When he installed the heater core he didn't put in the insulation around the new heater core or there is something wrong with the blend door. or the control cluster is bad?

but this still doesnt answer the question as to why the vents are inop even after getting vacuum to the black line

Old 01-27-2015, 03:21 PM
mideerslayer
Rookie

I think I got screwed by the repair guy, I called a dodge dealer and they confirmed you have to remove the a/c lines to replace the heater core and the lines on my truck were never touched.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You did get screwed then.

There is no way to remove the heater core without removing the plenum from the truck and the a/c lines do need to come off.

It's a good 6 hour + job.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

That's a DIY project I've put off 2 years now even with the second HVAC box I have. Its a PITA job and my A/C has been working good so it can wait I hope next winter I can get to it. I think my box has a bunch of leaves in it plus I have a few small problems that need fixing.

Sounds like you got screwed I hate shops cant trust them

Quick Reply: hvac question