2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2004 Dodge Dakota CTM quit on me

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:34 PM
shamaley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Dakota CTM quit on me

Hello all, I am new on this forum, but need help or advise from anyone on the issue I have with my truck.
Sames as almost everybody, keyless entry works, but doesn't open the driver's side, plus head light on driver side stop working completely. Everything else works fine, but those two things. I called the dealers, and the CTM cost $503 USD, only the part. I asked if I get it somewhere else, what would be the cost just to reflash it, and it is $95. I found one on eBay, exactly same part number, got it, but did not work on the items I still have problems with. Does this mean this used part I got suffers of the exactly same problem? Same as the original CTM, everything works, truck starts, signal lights, all work. Actually, keyless entry stopped working when I put the new/used part, when I installed the original part it had, it just came back to the original problem.
Where do I go from here? Could it be a diffirent thing failing besides the CTM? or do I finally have to go to the dealers for a complete diagnose?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:23 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I moved your post into a new thread.

If your problem was/is the CTM, then a replacement should fix it. What have you checked as far as the headlights? Is it just the drivers door that doesn't work? Will it lock or unlock or do nothing.

Rule out everything before replacing the CTM. Do you have a good meter?

Lots of rebuilt CTM's are on the web. You would need the keyless flashed but that is it.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:29 PM
shamaley
Default CTM 2004 Dodge Dakota

I have not checked it with a meter. What should I look for? volts? where, at the bulb socket?
Right now, besides the driver side head light not working, when you unlock with the remote control, the passenger side does open, but not the driver's side. If you try to lock it or unlock it with the buttons on the door, driver's side does not work, but the other does.
I only ordered and got a CTM replacement, exactly same part number, but still the head light on the driver's side did not work, plus now all keyless does not work at all. Put the original module, and came back to same scenario.
I am about to order a new module, but what do I do as diagnose before expending the dollars. How do I check it?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Your keyless will not work at all with any CTM other than the one that came with the truck...unless you go to the dealer and hand them around $150 or so to reprogram the SKIM (if gray key) and Keyless systems.

So the driver side does not lock or unlock by switch or keyless? Sounds like a failed actuator.

Does the flash-to-pass, low beam, or high beam work on the driver side headlight? If you have fogs, low beam should be heads + fogs, flash-to-pass should be low beam + high beam + fogs (I think?), high beam should turn fogs off.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have my Dodge Service Manual on this computer but I believe I remember reading there are drivers or relays for the headlights in the CTM. You can go to the stickies at the top of the second Gen page here and download a free Dodge FSM that will have the wiring diagrams and explanation of the functions of the CTM in detail. Then you can use a good volt meter to test the headlight output at the CTM and/or headlight once you know which wires to test.

A few questions first though, is the headlight plugged in? Is the bulb working or is it possibly burned out? How about the wire connector at the bulb? Is it corroded or dirty and not making a good connection to the bulb itself? Do you have 12 volts and a good ground at the bulb connector? It may be best to start with the simple solutions first.

With the door lock not working, it could be a bad lock or unlock relay in the CTM but that is not very likely because the other door lock would not work either if the relay was the problem. The door lock and unlock relays and keyless entry are all internal components in the CTM. I would guess either the driver's side door lock switch is bad or possibly it is much more likely you have a bad door lock actuator in the driver's door. Actuator failure is kind of a common problem.

The reason the keyless entry is not working at all with the replacement CTM is the keyless entry itself is an internal part of the CTM. You have to get your original keyless remote fobs programmed to the replacement CTM and the only way to do that is at the Dodge dealership. The service technician uses the Dodge DRB-3 scanner to communicate with the new CTM to program your remote fobs to the replacement CTM.

It might be a good idea to take the truck to the dealer anyway. They can use the DRB to tell you whether the CTM has failed or not. They should also be able to tell you what is going on with the headlight too. Then you can pay for the diagnostic time and fix what you can at home, or have the service guys fix it. It may not be cheap to diagnose/repair though, because it can often take a lot of time and testing to find electrical problems.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jimmy

Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM
shamaley
Default Still troubleshooting my 2004 Dodge Dakota CTM

01SilverCC
Answer to some of the questions.-
Yes, the headlight is plugged in.
Changed to a brand new bulb, since my first thought was that the bulb was burnt.
Checked the wire, and it didn't look corroded.
I still need to check the 12V though.

magnethead
Flash to pass, fogs, all work. Low beam and high beam work only on the passanger side, but on the driver's side. Even changing to another CTM I bought on eBay, which looks in good condition, but will do the same as the original, besidea the keyless entry thing.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:34 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by shamaley
Flash to pass, fogs, all work. Low beam and high beam work only on the passanger side, but on the driver's side.
Wait. Flash to pass works on both headlights? Yes or No.

Wiring for the headlights is simple. There are two wires from the CTM, one each for the high/low beam. The ground is in the engine compartment to the outboard side of the PDC, the closest ground to the firewall.

Check for a good ground.

Last edited by 00DakDan; 06-08-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Katmandu
Professional
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Check for a good ground.
I just wrote about this in another post about CTMs.

Always check your grounds AND connections BEFORE spending any money and wasting a lot of time.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 AM
shamaley
Default Already chacked voltage

00DakDan

Yes, flash to pass work on both headlights. The problem persists to be driver's side headlight (low and high beams), and door lock on driver's side using or not using the keyless entry, but lock actuator works when auto lock is activated.

Now, I checked voltage on driver's headlight, and I did not get any. I, indeed, was able to get the 12 V on all other flash to pass (both sides) and passanger's side headlight. Harness does not look damaged, nor rusty. How do I check for good ground??

Thanks,

Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

On the locks, is this a 2 or 4 door? I'm guessing a 4 door since it has a separate switch input for the drivers side.

If the lights are working in pass to flash then the CTM is at least providing the power to the headlights. Pass to flash is part of the multi-function switch, the turn/wiper/wash/high and low beam, assembly.

This IS a weird one.

The ground (G208) for the headlight switch, it's not switching power to the headlights but provides a "sense" for the CTM, is in the drivers side footwell. Follow the harness going into the CTM connector 1 and it branches off of it. Make sure it is clean and tight.

That same ground also is for the CTM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Dakota CTM quit on me