2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Highbeams mystery PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:08 AM
Pamahana97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highbeams mystery PLEASE HELP

So first I shall explain the issue. Bought the truck thought it was great, went to pick it up was dead. So we jumped it brought it to the parts store put a new battery in everything was mint. Then that night figured out why, lights where glowing and wouldn't shut out UNTIL I removed fuses CTM A and CTM B lights worked when I turned the truck on but either way no highbeams when I hit the switch. (buddies dad said it was the lights still drawing power but not getting enough to turn on so they'd stay on)
So here's what I know for background, guy put a new gauge cluster in the truck, new PCM, and did some brilliant re-wiring after I did some tracing. looked down at the CTM (and I can take pictures of this later on to clarify if needed) and 5 wires (just from memory) cut. 2 purple and white connected to a blue wire believed to be left and right low beam drivers connected to ignition wire (makes sense lights turn on when the truck does but not when the cargo switch is flipped). Red and Orange, connected to Green and I think it was Orange. Believed to be High Beam and cargo switch. Then another random purple and white wire that I have no effing clue where it goes where it is what it does just cut not connected to anything. NOW when I connect all the wires where they're supposed to go, no low beams, no high beams, no interior lights with fuses back in or still out.
Girlfriends dad is trying to help me but he's suggesting to start from the begging with buying new multifunction switch and cargo switch all crap I've already tried that didn't work. My thoughts are something wrong with CTM or PCM and if I have to bring it to the dealer for that then I want to skip the $200 poking process to diag that I've already delt with cause I'm broke af, in a state where they do sticker inspection, stickers 6 months out, this is my only option for a vehicle and I need to get to work and school (college) without getting in trouble, and I can see some other work that needs to be done to this truck soon.

Getting close to just saying f*** it put a compfy bed in the bed of the truck to lay in as I drop a match down the gas tank. So please anyone knows what their doing more than me that'd be appreciated.

The truck itself:
2001 Dodge Dakota
6Cyl 3.9L
Single Cab
5 Speed Manual

Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The high/low beams are driven directly off of the CTM. Someone hacked your wiring. Having a driver circuit for the lights fail does happen.

Fix the wiring and replace the CTM. You may be able to find a rebuilt one online. You will need to see your dealer to have it reprogrammed for the keyless entry, etc.

It's not the multifunction switch and likely not the headlight switch either. All they do is tell the CTM which circuit to power - a sense circuit, not switching power to the lights themselves.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Pamahana97

So my truck is a the basic stuff, so I just get a CTM and don't get need to get it reprogrammed?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

What do you mean by "basic stuff?"

Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Pamahana97

like no power windows, now power locks, no alarm etc

Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Pamahana97
Default How to find a new/rebuilt CTM on online

I also have been looking online for a new one and I have no clue what numbers I am supposed to match up or if it even matters if any of the number match up. I attached a pic of my CTM so if anyone can help me figure out how to buy the right one and quickly that would be appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160202_130132.jpg (895.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The P number is what you need Pama. It may have been superseded though.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:18 PM
theJester517
Amateur

Check on the column where the wiring runs from the clockspring down, this is a mystery I dealt with before finding it on one of the multiple forums, if you have tilt wheel, what happens is the wire is stretched too thin right at the junction box on the column, when it happened to me, I think I lost my low beams but still had high beams or maybe vice versa, not sure if this helps, mines a 97 but good luck man

Quick Reply: Highbeams mystery PLEASE HELP