2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 Dodge Dakota problems *please help*

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 12:59 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by boredaholic
they all look good and are tight, found some hoses that need replaced and when it's running it sounds like there's air either sucking in or hissing out on the driver side near the front of the engine bay. Could a split hose cause almost an entire side to misfire?
almost 100% unlikely

Old 02-24-2018, 01:06 AM
boredaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
almost 100% unlikely
i figured, didn't hurt to ask lol. I'll update you guys when i get the chance to work on the truck again. Might be tomorrow, latest Sunday.

If the injector works on the other side where i'm swapping it to, then the next step would be to do the same with the coil correct? if that works as well when swapped... what's the next step? I'm just confused as to what would cause the 3 on the same side. Can't imagine we just HAPPENED to put 3 bad injectors back in on the same side, in a row. Just trying to ask for as much info as i can that way when i get back to working on it i can continue on with everyone's advice until i run out of things to do again.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:15 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 169 Likes on 154 Posts

do you have access to a solenoid light or a timing light? What about a heat gun to check exhaust manifold temps? We have to assume that you have air in the cylinders, need to figure out if you are missing fuel or spark. At least with a timing light you can check all 8 coils. With a noid light you can test the injector pulses.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 AM
boredaholic

Originally Posted by magnethead
do you have access to a solenoid light or a timing light? What about a heat gun to check exhaust manifold temps? We have to assume that you have air in the cylinders, need to figure out if you are missing fuel or spark. At least with a timing light you can check all 8 coils. With a noid light you can test the injector pulses.
my dad has a timing light, but we couldn't figure out what the hell to hook it to. Usually it's to the plug wire that goes to the cap. What are we missing here?
as for heat gun, negative but I think we can get a Hold of one.
we can do a compression test next week when he gets back into town.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by boredaholic
my dad has a timing light, but we couldn't figure out what the hell to hook it to. Usually it's to the plug wire that goes to the cap. What are we missing here?
as for heat gun, negative but I think we can get a Hold of one.
we can do a compression test next week when he gets back into town.
As I recall, timing lights usually have power leads and signal wire. red/black leads to hook to the positive/negative respectively on the battery, and a signal wire that goes to the spark plug. Old style ones went between the wire and spark plug, newer ones have an inductive clip you simply open and put the sparkplug wire in the hole and let it spring closed. The proper way to read the timing with a timing light is to read the first cylinder in firing order, but you can check if they're getting spark by testing each one.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:24 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Forget what the computer says. Check your cam timing - the valve timing. The computer can't tell if both sides agree or not, it only reads ONE bank, and it is VERY easy to be off by a tooth when dealing with the 3 timing chains.

You really need to follow the procedure to the letter or you'll end up with just what you're seeing.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM
boredaholic

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Forget what the computer says. Check your cam timing - the valve timing. The computer can't tell if both sides agree or not, it only reads ONE bank, and it is VERY easy to be off by a tooth when dealing with the 3 timing chains.

You really need to follow the procedure to the letter or you'll end up with just what you're seeing.
When we did the timing, we followed the procedures to a t.

V8 on top for both cams, the top gear in the middle was top dead center and the bottom gear in the middle was at 6. the colored parts on the chains were on the right teeth of the gears and you could see the 2 dark links through the gear in the right spots. I really don't think it's a timing issue, however, how would i go about checking the cam timing and what not? All we've ever done with timing is use my dad's timing gun on the plug wires. is there more procedures for this type of engine?

Old 02-24-2018, 06:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I've attached a diagram of the CAM timing.

The PCM handles the IGNITION timing via the crank and cam sensors. There is a TDC mark. You may be able to get an old ignition wire and "jury rig" a means to connect a timing light.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cam timing.pdf (97.4 KB, 1 views)

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Dakota problems *please help*