2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Quick gas tank question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 PM
djacobson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick gas tank question

I'm going to replace the fuel pump on my 2001 sport club cab. When I drop the tank are the connections long enough so I don't have to disconnect anything before I get the tank down.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Probably not. Having two people doing the job makes life a lot easier..... There is also the option of lifting the bed, instead of dropping the tank.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:54 PM
djacobson
Rookie

With a topper and bed-liner lifting the bed seems like a whole lot more work

Old 07-03-2018, 09:16 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Remove the topper, bedliner only adds 10 or 20 pounds. I'm working at a body shop over summer (work for a school) and we just R&R'd a bed today. Wasn't terrible with 4 people for an 8 foot bed.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:00 AM
djacobson
Rookie

Doing the job by myself. 2 bolts drop the tank or remove topper and bed liner 6 or 8 bolts on the bed take out the tail lights. Ill go with 2 bolts drop the tank slow and go from there. I’ll let you know the job goes.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM
djacobson
Rookie

Job done. Dropped the tank using a floor jack. I had to disconnect the tank connections before I could lower the tank all the way.The tank hookups gave the most trouble since its the 1st time doing the job. The trick red tab that needs slide out before you can unhook the electrical and the blue tabs on the gas line that old eyes have trouble seeing were the most challenging.The nuts on the straps came out hard all the way. Hammered hard with the impact all the way. Straps very rusty and junk. Good thing I had new straps and bolts. I used 2 small floor jacks to lift the tank up.That seemed to work better than the one jack in the middle. Now the results. Before long cranks. I had to cycle the key several times to build up pressure. Then at shut off pressure fell to 10 in less than a min. 0 in 5min. New pump pressure right up. I had the gauge on the line for over 30min after shut off and still had more than 25lbs pressure. Delphi pump. I hope I don’t have to do this again.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Good job!

With almost 300K on my truck, I'm wondering how much longer before I need a fuel pump too. With the OEM lasting this long and the fact that the quad cab leaves no choice but to drop the tank, I'll probably go with a Mopar unit. Luckily, the pump shows no sign of failing. I tend to fill up before I hit quarter tank though and rarely ever see the light. My thought is that the fuel keeps the pump cool and provides an extra bit of pressure. Let it go tool low and the pump works harder and hotter.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 07-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Since you installed a delphi pump, it will likely outlast the rest of the truck.

Quick Reply: Quick gas tank question