Ball joints, what were they thinking. - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 2nd Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Ball joints, what were they thinking.

2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ball joints, what were they thinking.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 PM
00t444e
Professional
Default Ball joints, what were they thinking.

I just replaced the ball joints on my 98 Dakota, the factory ones were riveted in on the top one and the bottom one had a lip on it to keep it from pressing out. An air hammer and grinder made short work of it, but seriously what was Chrysler thinking when they designed this, it would be a pain to do for someone that didn't have air tools.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 AM
primem
Record Breaker

Yep. Its all about fast assembly. they could care less about the guy repairing it. Its not just fca...that how they all did it back then. My 84 fiero had the lower bj tack welded in 3 places.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:57 AM
00t444e
Professional

The Jeeps aren't like that, I have worked on several 90s model Jeep Cherokees and Wranglers. The Rams aren't either nor are the Fords and Chevy's I have worked on, this Dakota is the first I have seen like that.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 AM
primem
Record Breaker

chevy does it...just have to go back far enough...old blazers, vans. Won't see it on anything new.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Yeah, the S-trucks, and everything that used the same platform (L and M vans, for instance....) had riveted top and bottom ball joints. Replacements were bolt-in.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 AM
primem
Record Breaker

torching the rivets out is a quick and easy option...cutting from the side that the ball joint frame is on protects the control arm from any heat.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 AM
00t444e
Professional

Grinder and air hammer was quick and easy also.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Grinder and air hammer was quick and easy also.
I would just drill the heads a bit, then knock them off with the air chisel. Sometimes, I wouldn't bother drilling...... Sharp chisel bit works good too.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:55 PM
restlessswind
Amateur

I just completed this task too (plus a set of shocks) on my 98 Dakota. Getting the "rhythm" going to get those rivets out was daunting! Took me 10 hours on the first side, and 5-6 hours on the other (start to finish). I just used cheap Harbor freight air cutoff tool and air hammer, then drilled the rivets hollow, and drove them out. The uppers were much easier, no drilling required. Lots of grinding, chiseling and drilling...oh and banging. My neighbors must love me! (As I sit here stiff and sore

Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 PM
00t444e
Professional

Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
I just completed this task too (plus a set of shocks) on my 98 Dakota. Getting the "rhythm" going to get those rivets out was daunting! Took me 10 hours on the first side, and 5-6 hours on the other (start to finish). I just used cheap Harbor freight air cutoff tool and air hammer, then drilled the rivets hollow, and drove them out. The uppers were much easier, no drilling required. Lots of grinding, chiseling and drilling...oh and banging. My neighbors must love me! (As I sit here stiff and sore
Good grief that sucks, it took me less than 5 minutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball joints, what were they thinking.

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: