2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Update On New PCM

Old 09-01-2018, 12:01 PM
Owen T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep that's what i thought too not in the PCM, im waiting in the dealership right now so i keep you posted.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Owen T
Professional

Well the run around starts. The sevice manager said the tech that flashed my PCM wasn't working today. He had no idea why my mileage changed and he said just because the new PCM was flashed it has to "get used" to the system it's trying to run so it will no doubt be throwing off the wall codes until it reads the system properly.
He said to disconnect the Positive battery cable only. Then ground it to a good source. Then turn the key over to start and hold it for 2 minutes.
reconnect battery and turn key just till you hear the fuel pump prime. Then start it and let it run at an idle for 15-20 minutes. So does any of this sound legitimate?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Sounds more to me like he is trying to baffle you with BS. The system either works, or it doesn't. Tossing various codes implies there is a problem. If they are codes you have never seen before, I would take that to imply the "new part" is the issue. In this case, the PCM. His method of resetting the PCM is also suspect. You NEVER disconnect the positive cable first. Too many opportunities to ground out your tool, get a nice light show, and potentially smoke some of those sensitive electronics. Disconnecting the negative cable, and hitting the key, or turning on the headlights, accomplishes the same thing, without the danger of blowing stuff up.

Also, when the PCM is first installed, it knows only what its programming tells it. As you drive, the PCM learns the vehicles behavior, AND your driving style. Its the learned behavior that is volatile. Disconnect power to the pcm, and that information is gone. If the SM's explanation was correct, then EVERYONE would be seeing odd and strange codes every time they reset their PCM, or, with some tools, clearing codes ALSO clears the learned behavior.

The tech should only have had to flash the VIN to the PCM. Your mileage changing makes me wonder if they didn't swap your cluster as well......

Old 09-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Owen T
Professional

Wow I never thought about them changing the whole cluster out. Kind of makes sense I guess because my trip meter was zeroed out as well. I'll Snoop around and see if there is any more evidence of them doing that. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did they install the PCM? Or did you?

Old 09-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Owen T
Professional

They did because he said that they would not Flash or install a PCM if it was refurbished or not ordered through them or another Dodge dealership. They had my truck from 8 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. and that's when the tech came out to greet me and said he would tell the service manager not to charge me for the flashing of my PCM if I started it myself in the holding lot, so they help me push it back there. It started up and idles fine but as soon as I went to hit the gas to see if the RPMs would come up that's when the engine light came on and it acted like it had a rev limiter on it because it wouldn't go past 2500 RPMs then about two minutes later it died and was really hard to start again and started throwing the IAC code and the code for the crankshaft positioning sensor again which is brand new! I'm back home now so I'm going to put it up on jack stands and unplug the O2 sensors and see what happens.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might try actually removing the front O2 sensors....... see if the cat is plugged. (drive with it out, if it runs better...... cat is likely on its way out.)

Old 09-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Owen T
Professional

Would a bad cat show all the symptoms ive listed? The first 2 days i had the truck it ran flawlessly, I'd step down on it and it would and ran like a scalded dog! Then after the second day it's like somebody swapped Motors out while I was in Walmart Lol. It never ran sluggish or smelled like rotten sulfur no codes were being thrown absolutely nothing I'm just completely baffled.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Owen T
Professional

The other weird thing that I forgot to mention was the plugins for the PCM, when it dies and won't restart I can go wiggle the middle plug in to the PCM and I can hear all of us Illinois AIDS in the exterior fuse box kick on and then it will start again but it will only stay running for about 2 minutes and I'm sure that wouldn't have anything to do with it acting like it has a rev limiter and throwing those codes, just thought I'd mention that in case it means anything.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Owen T
Professional

I have no idea why that text came out like that? Must be the government monitoring me! What it was supposed to say was I will wiggle the middle plug-in to the PCM and I can hear all the relays kick on in the exterior fuse box and then it will start up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update On New PCM