2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Rear main seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020 | 12:20 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion
Default Rear main seal leak?

See those two oil droplets forming? It's been that way ever since I've owned the truck.

After replacing the valve cover gaskets and washing down the engine, I'm pretty sure that there are no leaks coming from up top. The valve covers are dry at the base + the oil pan doesn't leak and the oil pressure sender is pretty new.

I don't get any discernible oil loss, nor any drips on the ground, so I'm not doing a dang thing until it forces me to.. that is unless one of you have an easy way of doing this? (yeah, I'm dreamer but you guys have amazed me sometimes)

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-20-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2020 | 03:09 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator

How is your PVC system functioning? To much pressure can cause a leak.
What oil are you using? While not a big fan of HM oils it may stop a minor leak.

Personally, I'd just deal with it. It could be oil that dripped down from a prior oil change or the maintenance you did on the valves.

If you do decide to change the seal, once you get the transmission out it probably isn't that bad. But, you'd need some special tools - according to Dodge.

CRANKSHAFT OIL SEAL—REAR REMOVAL
NOTE: This procedure can be preformed in vehicle.
(1) If being preformed in vehicle, remove the transmission.
(2) Remove the flexplate.
NOTE: The crankshaft oil seal CAN NOT be reused after removal.
NOTE: The crankshaft rear oil seal remover Special Tool 8506 must be installed deeply into the seal.
Continue to tighten the removal tool into the seal until the tool can not be turned farther. Failure to
install tool correctly the first time will cause tool to pull free of seal without removing seal from engine.
(3) Using Special Tool 8506 remove the crankshaft rear oil seal.

INSTALLATION
(1) Position the magnetic seal guide Special Tool 8349–2 onto the crankshaft rear face. Then
position the crankshaft rear oil seal onto the guide.
(2) Using Special Tools 8349 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer and C-4171 Driver Handle
with a hammer, tap the seal into place. Continue to tap on the driver handle until the seal installer seats
against the cylinder block crankshaft bore.
(3) Install the flexplate.
(4) If removed, install the transmission.

Old 05-20-2020 | 03:59 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
How is your PVC system functioning? To much pressure can cause a leak.
What oil are you using? While not a big fan of HM oils it may stop a minor leak.

Personally, I'd just deal with it. It could be oil that dripped down from a prior oil change or the maintenance you did on the valves.

If you do decide to change the seal, once you get the transmission out it probably isn't that bad. But, you'd need some special tools - according to Dodge.
Thanks, Dan. The PCV valve was replaced with Mopar unit about a year ago. I'm running 0W-20 full syn. I washed the engine top & bottom before checking again. It's leaking for sure, but it's so slight that I never see any drips on the ground. I don't see any oil loss on the stick and oil loss was pretty low even when the valve covers were leaking.

Old 05-20-2020 | 04:28 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion

I washed the bottom end again yesterday after taking the pics in my first post. The truck hasn't been driven since and I just took this pic. As you can see another drop has formed. I was wrong that there are no drips. There were one or two drops on the floor. Guess it's so slight that I really had to pay attention.

Old 05-20-2020 | 07:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is it actually oil? Or maybe trans fluid? Is the drain hole in the center there plugged up?

Old 05-20-2020 | 08:39 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is it actually oil? Or maybe trans fluid? Is the drain hole in the center there plugged up?
its engine oil. Which drain hole are u talking?

Old 05-20-2020 | 08:40 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion

Old 05-20-2020 | 10:51 PM
magnethead
Legend

engines sweat horsepower - just have to deal with it

Old 05-21-2020 | 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The little notch dead center between the bottom two bolts.

Old 05-23-2020 | 02:44 PM
Dodgevity
|
Champion

The little notch dead center between the bottom two bolts.
Yeah, it's not blocked.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal leak?