2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CTM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 09:00 PM
CRA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTM Replacement

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT, 2X4, Quad Cab. Since I'd gotten it used two years ago, I'd had issues with the internal locks, lighting, and windows not working correctly. I had finally gotten around to having it diagnosed only to find out that the interior utility wiring was left unplugged from the CTM. Now I know why: the power locks keep locking and unlocking of their own accord with the engine being on or off. This is obviously a security risk that I want fixed, but I don't want to unplug the thing again.

The mechanic said I need to find a replacement, which is apparently a nightmare since it's discontinued. So I went through ebay to find something and came up with a couple possibilities, but I have some questions about what I'm seeing.

The p/n I have is 56045452AK. The ones I've found matching this are between two and three hundred dollars. By comparison, I've found a couple with different alphnumerics that are way less expensive.

General question: how similar do the p/n s have to be for them to be interchangeable in this vehicle?

Specific question: Will the p/n 56045452AL work in lieu of the AK? If so, do I need to have it reprogrammed to make the locks, lights, and windows work correctly? (Please note: I do not plan on using a key fob).

Last edited by CRA; 10-23-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

The last two letters are just the revision number. The "AL" will be a later revision than the "AK".

There were also two different CTM's..... Highline, and base, so, I am think the numeric part of the part number NEEDS to match. Not sure about the revision...... It *shouldn't* be an issue....... but, I have been wrong before.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:07 PM
CRA

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The last two letters are just the revision number. The "AL" will be a later revision than the "AK".

There were also two different CTM's..... Highline, and base, so, I am think the numeric part of the part number NEEDS to match. Not sure about the revision...... It *shouldn't* be an issue....... but, I have been wrong before.
Okay, so I have some hope that the AL will work since the numbers match. Will I definitely need to get it reprogrammed though?

Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by CRA
Okay, so I have some hope that the AL will work since the numbers match. Will I definitely need to get it reprogrammed though?
Technically yes, as the CTM is VIN matched, however it won't throw a MIL for VIN mismatch to my knowledge.

If you ever have the PCM replaced without updating the CTM though, you will be screwed.

On 01+, a CTM swap can be VIN flashed using the DRB - it will read the VIN stored in the PCM and copy that to the CTM. Likewise, in a PCM swap, you use the DRB to tell the PCM to copy the VIN from the CTM.

Well, if you change the CTM, don't flash it, then change the PCM (which WILL throw MIL for VIN mismatch), then neither module has the correct VIN and you can be S.O.L.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Technically yes, as the CTM is VIN matched, however it won't throw a MIL for VIN mismatch to my knowledge.

If you ever have the PCM replaced without updating the CTM though, you will be screwed.

On 01+, a CTM swap can be VIN flashed using the DRB - it will read the VIN stored in the PCM and copy that to the CTM. Likewise, in a PCM swap, you use the DRB to tell the PCM to copy the VIN from the CTM.

Well, if you change the CTM, don't flash it, then change the PCM (which WILL throw MIL for VIN mismatch), then neither module has the correct VIN and you can be S.O.L.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the CTM isn't updated with your truck's information, won't that mean options won't work if your truck has them but the donor truck didn't? That's how it works on GM BCMs, but I don't know on the Dodge CTMs.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:34 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Vimes
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the CTM isn't updated with your truck's information, won't that mean options won't work if your truck has them but the donor truck didn't? That's how it works on GM BCMs, but I don't know on the Dodge CTMs.
No, Dodge didn't play that game. Each PN (sans revision) is for a specific featureset. I want to say there is 6PN's per year:

Sing Cab Base
Sing Cab Premium
Ext Cab Base
Ext Cab Premium
Quad Cab Base
Quad Cab Premium

Single and Ext I'm not sure the differences, if any.

The following users liked this post:
Vimes (10-31-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:40 PM
CRA

Do you know how much that typically cost or, perhaps, how much it SHOULD cost?

Also, something just occurred to me, if I got the thing flashed, would that possibly fix the problem or is that out of the ball park?

Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by CRA
Do you know how much that typically cost or, perhaps, how much it SHOULD cost?

Also, something just occurred to me, if I got the thing flashed, would that possibly fix the problem or is that out of the ball park?
On paper, should only be whatever a dealer's minimum charge is. either 1 or 1.5 hours. The actual task takes 5 minutes.

The trick is finding a dealership with an actual DRB3. Many have disposed of them in varying methods (I got mine from a retiring tech). I'm not sure if the WiiTech's DRB Emulator can do flashing or not; I would think so? It's a rather mundane task compared to some DRB functions.

And no, re-flashing your current one won't solve the electrical gremlins, methinks.

With that said, you can always keep the faulty one with correct VIN. If you ever need a PCM programmed, you can swap it in on a temporary basis.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:42 PM
CRA

On paper, should only be whatever a dealer's minimum charge is. either 1 or 1.5 hours. The actual task takes 5 minutes.

The trick is finding a dealership with an actual DRB3. Many have disposed of them in varying methods (I got mine from a retiring tech). I'm not sure if the WiiTech's DRB Emulator can do flashing or not; I would think so? It's a rather mundane task compared to some DRB functions.

And no, re-flashing your current one won't solve the electrical gremlins, methinks.

With that said, you can always keep the faulty one with correct VIN. If you ever need a PCM programmed, you can swap it in on a temporary basis.
Thanks for the help. I just got a the new CTM with the AL Suffix and I'm going to gauge the cost of reprogramming it.

One clarification though: when you say S.O.L., what do you mean exactly? Materially speaking, what's the worst thing that would happen to the vehicle if the PCM goes bad with a CTM not programmed to the VIN?

Old 10-31-2020, 08:52 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by CRA
Thanks for the help. I just got a the new CTM with the AL Suffix and I'm going to gauge the cost of reprogramming it.

One clarification though: when you say S.O.L., what do you mean exactly? Materially speaking, what's the worst thing that would happen to the vehicle if the PCM goes bad with a CTM not programmed to the VIN?
In theory, it would be possible to VIN match the PCM to the CTM, which would clear one error code, but then the VIN stored in the cluster and in the airbag module would be another.

I don't know exactly which mismatches throw errors. I'm not sure which one that the state inspection computers check against (Usually they scan the driver door, while the computer reads the VIN off the comms buss, and those should match) and what the procedure is when the door VIN doesn't match the digital VIN.

PCM
CTM
Cluster
Airbag Module

should all ideally always be VIN matched.

Quick Reply: CTM Replacement