2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota & Durango rear swaybar differences

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 08:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Dakota & Durango rear swaybar differences

What problem needs to be solved to run a Durango sway on the Dak? There are more R/T Durangos running around these days compared to RT Daks... Whats the blocker (have not looked at either yet in person)

Dakota bar

Durango bar

Old 11-19-2021, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Looks like the mounts on the Durango bar are further apart.... Although, as the bar is pretty straight there, so, might be able to just move 'em in a bit.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:33 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah they do look similar in the mounting spots, the Durango bar looks like the axle mount should be do-able. the endlink on the bar joint pivots on the Durango one.

The research I did indicated that they are not a direct swap, which is fine but no one ever explained what the differences are and what problem needs to be solved. If it can be mounted to the axle and the end link is the problem, that should be solvable. We are supposed to have "dry" weather here this weekend, if so I may shoot over to the pick & pull and see whats out there.

When I get to the rear suspension, if I'm able to get the swap done I will document what I did for the next guy. I hate the boat feeling the dak has now. Granted it is on original suspension and a lot could be gained from bushings and shocks but... I love the flatness the Ram has in the corners. (The Ram has Sumo springs back there with very little gap to contact with the axle... really flattened out the back end and complemented the front end sumo spring mod, Truck is flat around corners)

Old 11-19-2021, 06:59 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

What is the size difference in the thickness of the bars? I assume they are both solid.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

idk, did not look at them first hand. when i i to the yards i will start measuring them. need calipers tho.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:22 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
I hate the boat feeling the dak has now. Granted it is on original suspension and a lot could be gained from bushings and shocks but... I love the flatness the Ram has in the corners. (The Ram has Sumo springs back there with very little gap to contact with the axle... really flattened out the back end and complemented the front end sumo spring mod, Truck is flat around corners)
Strange, my QC has great handling and stays pretty flat in the corners, even with all the miles on original suspension. Never had a complaint there. And I’ve always upgraded sway bars in my previous cars.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:23 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

My poorly educated guess is that the bars are the same diameter, but the dakota's is softer due to the smooth bends, while the durango's squareness makes it stiffer. Also have to keep in mind if spring over/under axle.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:26 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Strange, my QC has great handling and stays pretty flat in the corners, even with all the miles on original suspension. Never had a complaint there. And I’ve always upgraded sway bars in my previous cars.
isnt your truck lowered?

it might be that something is broke back there, have it parked in the garage now and will have a look tomorrow. to give an example of what i see, on the way to work there are expansion joints on a couple of overpasses that are almost a thrill ride every time i roll over them. in the #2 lane for both spots, one is on a curve. when i hit the curve in that lane the back end of the truck flops in an ugly way to the left. the other one does the same thing but i just happened to be changing lanes into #1 when i hit the joint. kinda like a fish out of water, it was an OS moment for sure. i would not he surprised if the axle pin is broke. i i suspect it is still all original back there.

Originally Posted by magnethead
My poorly educated guess is that the bars are the same diameter, but the dakota's is softer due to the smooth bends, while the durango's squareness makes it stiffer. Also have to keep in mind if spring over/under axle.
why would the large radius bends make it softer?

Old 11-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
isnt your truck lowered?

it might be that something is broke back there, have it parked in the garage now and will have a look tomorrow. to give an example of what i see, on the way to work there are expansion joints on a couple of overpasses that are almost a thrill ride every time i roll over them.in the #2 lane for both spots, one is on a curve. when i hit the curve in that lane the back end of the truck flops in an ugly way to the left. the other one does the same thing but i jus t happened to be changing lanes into #1 when i hit the joint. kinda like a fish out of water, it was an OS moment for sure. i would not he surprised if the axle pin is broke. i i suspect it is still all original back there.\
No, I'm at stock height. It does sound like you have an issue back there. These Daks have pretty decent handling as far as trucks go. I've got 2WD if it makes a difference...

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/1...ge-dakota-slt/

"The ride and handling improvement over the previous Dakota is immediately obvious, even during a short drive. Indeed, from an engineering standpoint, this is what seems most improved. In front, two-wheel-drive Dakotas use longer, redesigned unequal-length upper and lower control arms with coil springs. Four-wheel-drive models feature a fully independent torsion-bar setup. In back, the arrangement is the standard leaf springs with a solid axle that's been stretched two inches for a wider track.Our two-wheel-drive SLT with the handling and tire package carved through the slalom at 59.6 mph with exceptional crispness and poise, particularly for an unloaded pickup. Adding to this truck's surer feel is a quicker steering ratio, which lends sharper handling response. The resulting high-speed behavior is confidence-inspiring and closer to that of a taut rear-drive coupe than you'll believe until you try it."

Old 11-22-2021, 01:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

The difference is in where the shock drops down off the body down to the axle. They look very similar but when looking at them in person it does appear they wont interchange. When it dries up and I have time go go lay under there and have a good look I'll confirm it.

If they are using the same axle, not sure why the shock location would be an issue but thats what I concluded poking my head into the wheel well for a look.

Quick Reply: Dakota & Durango rear swaybar differences