2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

70MM Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 11:46 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default 70MM Throttle body

Any 70mm throttle body owners still here?

Considering a larger throttle body to go with the air box mods. By itself I'd expect a drop in mpg but with a modded air box it might be different. I would be looking to get the best of both worlds between the 2 mods (TB & air box)

Why?... cause I know what the mods did for the Ram and I am greedy

Old 12-11-2021, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Single barrel? For a two barrel, that is HUGE, and you will lose quite a bit of low-end torque. If you ran your engine at WOT all the time, I can see how the bigger throttle bores might help, but, on a daily driver? Way too big.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

the stock one is a 68mm tb, it is not that big if a change. my thinking is for the higher load conditions that would require more air that mated with the modded air box may give the best of both worlds

Old 12-11-2021, 07:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What is this on??

Old 12-11-2021, 07:40 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

2002 4.7, single bore TB...

Old 12-11-2021, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, ok. That explains it. I am just not as familiar with the 4.7 as I would like to be.

In that case, bumping up a couple millimeters shouldn't hurt you. Probably see somewhat better off-idle throttle response.

The following users liked this post:
steve05ram360 (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 10:52 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I have read that the throttle response does change for sure, had a 52mm fastman years back on the 2000 I had and did not notice any drop in bottom end, however I was not sensitive to that change back then.

What I am trying to wrap my head around is the airflow velocity and how it generates bottom end torque. If I understand it correctly, there needs to be a balance of quantity & velocity to fill the cylinders. Since the runner length and head config will not change, that only leaves velocity. With what I've concluded (again) on the airbox flow, the easier the flow thru the box, the higher up the rpm range the torque peak goes.

I may have a different view of the TB after the intake tube is swapped out. Either it will be the Airaid tube or I will make one. ONe thing I'd explore if I make one is setting up the intake tube where the flow into the throttle body is straighter than the current setup with an expansion area far enough in front of TB to accelerate airflow thru the TB. Will need to play with that if I get there.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's where the whole 'tuned length runners' thing comes in. The intake is designed to be 'most efficient' within a given RPM range, such that the pressure pulses from valves opening/closing will aid in cylinder filling. The science is out there, but, WAY beyond what I can explain here. (or pretty much anywhere else for that matter. )

It's like the old GM Tuned Port Injection motors of the 80s-90's. The TPI 350 was a torque MONSTER (for the time), but, ran out of breath around 4500 RPM, and power output dropped off like a stone. Of course, in the rpm range the manifold was designed to operate best at, (around 1500 to 4000 rpm,) it was great. Loved it in my old Firebird Formula.

Tuning on the GM products was also a lot easier. (there are whole communities dedicated to it.....) For gas mileage mods, one of the favorite tricks was to invoke "highway mode". It would run the mixture lean, under VERY specific circumstances, and could dramatically improve highway mileage. Some folks with well-tuned engines were pushing 28MPG on the freeway. But, those cars also had knock sensors..... (your should as well?? I think)

Old 12-12-2021, 01:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's where the whole 'tuned length runners' thing comes in. The intake is designed to be 'most efficient' within a given RPM range, such that the pressure pulses from valves opening/closing will aid in cylinder filling. The science is out there, but, WAY beyond what I can explain here. (or pretty much anywhere else for that matter. )

It's like the old GM Tuned Port Injection motors of the 80s-90's. The TPI 350 was a torque MONSTER (for the time), but, ran out of breath around 4500 RPM, and power output dropped off like a stone. Of course, in the rpm range the manifold was designed to operate best at, (around 1500 to 4000 rpm,) it was great. Loved it in my old Firebird Formula.

Tuning on the GM products was also a lot easier. (there are whole communities dedicated to it.....) For gas mileage mods, one of the favorite tricks was to invoke "highway mode". It would run the mixture lean, under VERY specific circumstances, and could dramatically improve highway mileage. Some folks with well-tuned engines were pushing 28MPG on the freeway. But, those cars also had knock sensors..... (your should as well?? I think)
yeah i think this motor does have knock sensors...

runner length, the manifold on this motor has the longest runner lengths of the ones available. the 1999, 2000 throttle bodies are the smallest at 65, cant imagine i would try one...

Old 12-13-2021, 10:20 PM
Vimes
Veteran
Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

TIt's like the old GM Tuned Port Injection motors of the 80s-90's. The TPI 350 was a torque MONSTER (for the time), but, ran out of breath around 4500 RPM, and power output dropped off like a stone. Of course, in the rpm range the manifold was designed to operate best at, (around 1500 to 4000 rpm,) it was great. Loved it in my old Firebird Formula.
That system was actually designed for the 305, not the 350. GM stuck it on the 350 because they had it, but they didn't alter it any. The only differences in performance between a TPI 305 and 350 was a .100 difference in one parameter, I think 0-60 speed, and the 305 got about 5MPG better. One of the Hot Rod type magazines tested them and published the results. You can get larger aftermarket runners for it that would be better on a 350 than the factory stuff. Personally though, I'd rather have TBI than TPI because you can use any carbed intake with TBI, and choose an intake with an RPM band that matches your engine's usage. That being said though, I only do LS engines now, and will never go back to Gen 1/2 iron.

What you refer to is Lean Cruise, which is illegal in the US. The reason is it has too high an NOx emission for the EPA. It was used in Australia though, so getting hold of an Australian tune can turn it on. EFI Live is needed to do this.

Coming from the world of GM has its uses.

Last edited by Vimes; 12-13-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 70MM Throttle body