2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Manual Trans Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 12:32 PM
stormbride1
Amateur
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Manual Trans Conversion

Good evening ladies and Gentleman! I am currently a proud owner of a Solar Yellow 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T with the 5.9L engine. I have been acquiring all the parts necessary to convert the auto trans to the NV3500 Manual. I am only missing a few more parts but I mostly have a couple questions pertaining to the TYPE part or direction is best suited for my specific situation.

First question: I pulled the clutch/brake pedal assembly out of a 2003 Dakota, this should work correct since its the same body/generation, taking a cursory look at my 99 it appears all the bolts will line up correctly. One thing I did notice was that on the donor vehicle where the slave cylinder came through the firewall and the bracket there is a different cable on my auto truck running through same location. What is this came and can it be re-routed or is it not needed once conversion is completed.

Secondly, The ECM, I have read multiple sites and there is conflicting reports as to how to handle the ECM and CELs. Some say I can simply re-flash my existing ECM to remove the auto trans but have also read that since the R/T never came with a manual trans that this is not possible and the correct method would be to obtain an ECM from a 99 5.2 Manual trans truck and have my VIN/mileage flashed into it. Hopefully, someone here has done the same sway and knows EXACTLY the correct procedure.

Third, driveshaft, am i correct in assuming that a driveshaft from a 5.2 Club cab Manual trans truck will work just fine in my truck since its the same body? I have read that the length would be different due to the different engine sizes but from what I know the 5.2 and 5.9 blocks are identical with different piston bore so length shouldnt be an issue.

Fourth, i know that the wiring to the auto trans can be capped and tucked away but my question is how/where do I wire up the connector for the reverse lights?

Fifth, Does anyone know where I can get a template for cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter placement? Would it be easier to just have a tunnel cut out of a manual truck and have it welded in?

6th and finally, for anyone who has done this swap any tips or tricks that have help you up or caught you off guard? I believe ive obtained everything for the swap except the few items mentioned above. I purchased a flywheel from a 5.9 Ram, clutch set for a 5.2 V8 Dakota, new crank sensor, clutch fork, master and slave cylinders and hoses. reverse light pigtail, steering column, trans mount, several other items.

Thanks for any and all information!

Old 01-01-2022, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

No idea on #1.

You should be able to just have the PCM flashed for the 5.9, and manual. Worst case, you would need a custom tune. You can use the original PCM.

Engine is indeed the exact same size, physically. Just need the manual trans driveshaft for your cab/bed configuration.

Should be a switch on the manual trans for Reverse lights. Just wire the existing auto harness to it. (probably just need the correct connector.)

On a lot of of cars/trucks I have worked on, the hole for the manual shifter, (on vehicles that a manual available...) was already kinda etched into the stamping. If it isn't, getting measurements from a manual trans truck, and cutting the hole is a LOT easier than changing out the panel.

One thing to keep in mind though, the NV3500 NEVER came stock behind a 5.9..... It's not rated for that kind of power. That said, being it's a truck, you are going to be traction-limited on how much power you can put down, so, if you don't beat on it too much, it should survive a good long time.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:25 AM
stormbride1
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No idea on #1.

You should be able to just have the PCM flashed for the 5.9, and manual. Worst case, you would need a custom tune. You can use the original PCM.
Any input on where I can get my current ECM flashed with the correct data? Is this only a dealer thing or is there a company out there that can perform this service?

Engine is indeed the exact same size, physically. Just need the manual trans driveshaft for your cab/bed configuration.
So finding a driveshaft for a 5.2L Manual Club cab truck is all I need to do then?

Should be a switch on the manual trans for Reverse lights. Just wire the existing auto harness to it. (probably just need the correct connector.)
I purchased the manual reverse light pigtail already so sounds like its just splicing it in to existing harness.

On a lot of of cars/trucks I have worked on, the hole for the manual shifter, (on vehicles that a manual available...) was already kinda etched into the stamping. If it isn't, getting measurements from a manual trans truck, and cutting the hole is a LOT easier than changing out the panel.
Ill have to pull back the carpet and check to see if there is an outline for the panel to cut. That would be awesome!

One thing to keep in mind though, the NV3500 NEVER came stock behind a 5.9..... It's not rated for that kind of power. That said, being it's a truck, you are going to be traction-limited on how much power you can put down, so, if you don't beat on it too much, it should survive a good long time.
I thought it came in the Ram 1500's with the 5.9L, at least thats what I bought the flywheel from.

getting excited, getting real close to getting everything I need for the conversion. I will have to take a lot of pictures as I go through the process.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:36 AM
stormbride1
Amateur

Another thing that just popped into my noggin....I will have to remove the trans cooler lines from the radiator. Anyone know a part number or thread pitch for the fittings ill have to use to cap off those passageways?

Old 01-01-2022, 01:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

1500 trucks got the 5.2 and NV3500, there were no manual trans 1500's with the 5.9. Heavier duty trucks got the 5.9 with the NV4500 trans, So far as I know, there weren't any manual trans 5.2 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

If you got the flywheel from a 1500, I would go back and verify what size engine it was, by looking on the side of the block. (it will have the size cast into it somewhere.) You don't wanna use a 5.2 flywheel on a 5.9, it will destroy the engine pretty quick. I think just to be SURE you have the correct one, I would buy a NEW one. Saving a few bucks now, only to destroy your engine, really doesn't save you any money at all.

Trans cooler lines can just be removed, and then flush the cooler with some brake cleaner, or something. (so it doesn't drip. ) After that, plugging them isn't really necessary. The cooler is sealed from the radiator anyway. (you won't have coolant running out those holes, assuming the cooler is still good. )

Old 01-01-2022, 02:02 PM
stormbride1
Amateur

I purchased a brand new flywheel for a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd manual trans which was part number FW2754. I purchased a brand new clutch set for a 1999 Dodge Dakota 2wd with the 5.2 manual part number NU1971.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by stormbride1
I purchased a brand new flywheel for a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd manual trans which was part number FW2754. I purchased a brand new clutch set for a 1999 Dodge Dakota 2wd with the 5.2 manual part number NU1971.
I don't think that's gonna be the correct flywheel.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:06 PM
stormbride1
Amateur

ok another weird question....looking at driveshafts on car-part.com right now and it appears that ALL 4x2 club cab MT driveshafts are 2 piece. I checked my truck and it has a aluminum single piece shaft. If i am forced to purchased a 2 piece shaft where/how would I mount the carrier bearing? There are 4x2, MT, 1 piece shafts for 8 cylinders but it doesnt specify club cab so im assuming that a standard/regular cab.

Old 01-01-2022, 04:06 PM
stormbride1
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think that's gonna be the correct flywheel.
so what flywheel should I look up and purchase? Ive been buying everything new that I can buy new.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:12 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I used the flywheel from a 2000 5.9 in my Dakota with a nv3500.
The only difference between the 5.2 and 5.9 flywheel is balance.
2 other things
1. I think the crank sensor is different from auto to stick. (Length)
2. Dakota and Ram NV3500 are different. The shifter location is further back on the dakota.

Good luck on the conversion. Look forward to updates.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Manual Trans Conversion