2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Radiator Replacement-External Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 09:20 PM
04quad4.7
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radiator Replacement-External Trans Cooler

04 Dakota 4.7, purchased new ... First, signed up to this site years and years ago just in case I should ever have an issue, well, 1st time with any problems (cooling system) considering 100k miles. Although did have to replace a brake lamp years back.

So far, flushed(distilled water/ran a minute or two without thermostat) 2-3 times, installed new water pump and thermostat, 50/50 coolant, burped (I think), drove 2 miles, pegged hot, steam/mist coming out of upper left portion of radiator, 1-2" in length. According to Dodge, OEM radiator is no longer available. So, parts dept. supplied two (aftermarket) PNs for replacement. My issue/concern is that the aftermarket rads have integrated ports for trans cooling where as I have an external trans cooler. Should I just make sure to plug the ports, use existing or cancel the external and route lines to the (integrated) ports, which, will suck. Plus, I haven't ever needed to replace rad. before, but why in the hell would you design one where you could potentially have two problems instead of one should an internal leak occur. Also, with the core identical in size, seems you would be taking away some of the "engine cooling" capabilities to cool transmission.

Being one to not always follow directions and being my first FYI ... removed cross member that radiator attaches to, was able to pull (straight out) without disconnecting supply/return lines for trans cooler and ac condenser.

>>>> Any advice/experience would be appreciated.<<<<

Last edited by 04quad4.7; 03-28-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 12:43 AM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The reason they like to combine them physically is for transmission heating in cold weather. While having them separate but close works, having them physically touching is much better. It really helps with transmission lifespan as cold running is pretty rough on the clutch packs. Similar to brakes they have a sweet spot where they grip the most and don't wear super fast. Also no fluid transfer can occur between the too since they cut a chunk out to keep them separate in most cases.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:10 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Maximum cooling radiator thread. You get the benefit of my extensive research.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html

Here is the CSF on Amazon...

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-30-2022, 02:36 PM
04quad4.7
Default CSF it is. But, curious

First, greatly appreciate your input, appears we have the same vehicle setup (info from your 2013 post you forwarded) except I have an 04.

With the OEM (original) on my truck, have attached external trans cooler, no ports on Rad for TC. With aftermarket, it does have TC ports. Curious, did you just not use/plug ports and use existing cooling or hookup TC to (aftermarket) Rad and cancel out the external TC. Maybe, I reading too much into it ... they are just manufacturing so it works either way. Again, appreciate your help.

Summit has it for $122 free S&H. I'm happy!

Drew

No trans cooler ports

Old 03-30-2022, 03:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 04quad4.7
With the OEM (original) on my truck, have attached external trans cooler, no ports on Rad for TC. With aftermarket, it does have TC ports. Curious, did you just not use/plug ports and use existing cooling or hookup TC to (aftermarket) Rad and cancel out the external TC.
This is what I wrote back in 2013....
Originally Posted by Dodgevity
On my SLT, there are transmission lines going into the radiator as well as there is a separate trans cooler sitting below the AC condenser and in front of the radiator. So it's being cooled on both levels, unless I'm mistaken?

This is the CSF on amazon

Old 03-30-2022, 04:19 PM
04quad4.7

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
This is what I wrote back in 2013....

This is the CSF on amazon
Hmmmm, I purchased/live in FL so I'm starting to think that according to (new build) vehicle destination, (cold/warm climates) that determined whether or not the truck has/had both ways to cool the transmission (cooler & rad). Unless, I got the only 04 Dakota built that did not cool both ways 😕, which, has worked for the past 100k miles. Now I know why family members would say "you're special"...........

Old 03-30-2022, 06:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

I'm in Atlanta. Just double-checked and indeed, there are transmission lines going into the radiator. CSF might have a specific rad that doesn't have the ATF cooler in it. Not sure... give them a call. https://csfimports.com/contact-us/

Old 03-30-2022, 06:55 PM
04quad4.7

Appreciate the advice. Everything that I looked at, I like the brand, but their CS was I'll say, didn't have much initiative. Local dealer gave me the replacement PNs (55056518AA & 55056426AA)
https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mo...tor-55056518aa ... contacted them 3 days ago via online message, still waiting reply. Requested call-back and some pics.

The journey continues. I will post the outcome in detail ... wish buying replacements were as easy as working on.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:56 PM
04quad4.7
Default May Be Halpful

For me ... looks like my "WTH" as it relates to my postings here regarding radiators with internal trans cooler ports vs external is solved. In short, I'll just plug/cap off them two ports and just use the external trans cooler as usual seeing how I can't find a rad without the ports for my setup. And, since, I don't tow any longer, should the external TC fail for some reason, I'll yank it out, unplugg the in-rad ports and re-route lines. Apparently, from literature/videos, etc, there are/were tons of configurations relating to just the tow package for 2004 Dakotas.

Last edited by 04quad4.7; 03-30-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Replacement-External Trans Cooler