2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022 | 10:02 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Every vehicle I've ever seen that exhibits a single click from the starter, turned out needing a new starter. I know you've said you changed the starter though, so that is puzzling. Next time it single-clicks, have someone hold the key in crank position, then climb under the truck and tap the starter with something heavy.... like a wrench or hammer. If it jumps to life, it's the starter.

That said, these starters are long lived. I'm over 330K mi on the original starter.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-01-2022 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2022 | 12:38 AM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Every vehicle I've ever seen that exhibits a single click from the starter, turned out needing a new starter. I know you've said you changed the starter though, so that is puzzling. Next time it single-clicks, have someone hold the key in crank position, then climb under the truck and tap the starter with something heavy.... like a wrench or hammer. If it jumps to life, it's the starter.

That said, these starters are long lived. I'm over 330K mi on the original starter.
Thank you I will give this a shot. There is one other puzzling bit of info I guess I keep blank and he is curious about.
However he brought up to me again this afternoon, after everything was said and done we got everything running great and shifting smooth the only issue I really knew about because I no longer ride in the truck as much. But apprently he can be driving just fine no issue then out of nowhere he said it will randomly on it's own spike in rpms slowly climb 2k higher on it's own he said it will even continue to do when he takes his foot off the accelerator when it happens it happens he hasn't found a way to get it to stop, from what I understand as the truck randomly does do it's slow 2k spike the truck it's self doesn't feel like it's build power it's just the engine getting louder but doesn't send any extra speed to the tires it's almost as if someone engages cruise control for a moment then randomly disengages it after building 2k rpms. And like I said taking his foot off the gas won't stop it however he can still brake and slow down but rpms still climb so he trys to let it just do it's thing so he doesn't damage anything else by high reving the engine in gear with the transmission stopped

Old 06-02-2022 | 07:53 PM
supadoom
Veteran

How slowly are we talking? Over a few seconds? Have you replaced or checked the TPS? If the TPS fails you can have some wonky throttle behavior. If you have a scan tool, watch the Absolute throttle percent while your buddy drives. When it does this see if the percentage rises with the RPM's correspondingly.

Old 06-02-2022 | 08:14 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by supadoom
How slowly are we talking? Over a few seconds? Have you replaced or checked the TPS? If the TPS fails you can have some wonky throttle behavior. If you have a scan tool, watch the Absolute throttle percent while your buddy drives. When it does this see if the percentage rises with the RPM's correspondingly.
I have a snap-on live scan tool that works with the car/truck off or running just got it a few days ago for a project supra. It has a diagnostic and od2 reader for Toyota, dodge, and Chevy.... However I'm still trying to figure it out fully. As for the tps sensor that was one of my first places I went when he said he was having the issue. However it looks brand new like they replaced it when replacing the engine. However it's a doorman brand tps sensor so its not oem... But when I take it off and inspect it there are no signs of damage aging or anything that would say it may have a problem

Old 06-02-2022 | 09:00 PM
scornedlodas
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by scornedlodas
I have a snap-on live scan tool that works with the car/truck off or running just got it a few days ago for a project supra. It has a diagnostic and od2 reader for Toyota, dodge, and Chevy.... However I'm still trying to figure it out fully. As for the tps sensor that was one of my first places I went when he said he was having the issue. However it looks brand new like they replaced it when replacing the engine. However it's a doorman brand tps sensor so its not oem... But when I take it off and inspect it there are no signs of damage aging or anything that would say it may have a problem
Ps to answer your question yes it's over a few seconds that this takes place he said normally 5secs ish from rpm spike starting to rpms going back down to where they were

Old 06-02-2022 | 11:51 PM
supadoom
Veteran

I personally have had issues on a dorman TPS before. The second one worked though. Just because its new doesn't mean its good.

The following users liked this post:
scornedlodas (06-03-2022)

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge Dakota shift problems no codes.