2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dakota stalling/dying NO BUS error

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 12:54 AM
Joedodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Dakota stalling/dying NO BUS error

So I’ve had this 2002 Dakota for about a month. This past week it’s had somewhat of a rougher idle than normal and it started stalling/dying while I’m parked and while I drive after I restart it. I changed the spark plugs and the cables. They needed to be replaced but that didn’t fix it. I’ve been doing a ton of research and it all seems to stem from a faulty ECM. I just ordered a new ECM but I’m having second thoughts about if I made the right decision. I will say I’m not a car guy at all. I know it has to do with the ECM and the cluster but I really don’t know where to start or what I’m looking for. I can easily say the ECM is scalding hot when the car shuts off which is why I ordered a new one before I did anything else. But now I’m thinking something is causing the ECM to run hot and my mind is playing tricks on me and idk wtf to do fro here. If anyone has any advice or input I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-02-2022, 01:01 AM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

You probably made the right call. Make sure the connectors are clean and free of crusty bits. No-Bus means the ECM lost connection to the rest of the systems or the gauge cluster. Right now a large chunk of ECM's will start failing due to them using electrolytic capacitors inside. They have a liquid electrolyte that slowly dries up and causes them to get hot and fail. 20 Years is the expected lifespan. Looks like you got it right on the nail. Make sure the ECM you ordered was programed with your VIN and equipment. A local dodge dealer can do that for you if the place you ordered didn't.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:09 PM
Joedodge

Thank you. Just an update. I changed the crankshaft sensor, AIC sensor, and the fuel pump relay. None of them made any difference. I cleaned the grounding and positive terminals on the battery. It won’t even crank up or turn over now. I have a feeling it’s the ECM. The one I ordered was from Flagship 1 and it is supposed to be being programmed for my exact car as well as my vin. Should be here sometime next week I’ll keep you updated. I honestly don’t know what else it could be

Old 11-04-2022, 07:48 PM
supadoom
Veteran

Keep us posted. Just a tip: If you haven't thrown them away already, keep the old sensors. Especially the crank. Sometimes you'll run into issues with aftermarket sensors that will end up making it run worse than the old one.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:24 PM
Joedodge

Took apart the ECM today because I was curious what it looked like. Not entirely sure what I should be looking for but if I’m being honest about something I know very little about it really doesn’t look all that bad? But then again I don’t know what I’m looking for.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Probably can't get to the other side of the circuit board huh?

Yeah, it's potted in there. Serves a couple purposes, shed heat, and protects the electronics. Trouble is, makes it a real pain to do anything else with. There is likely some easy way to removed the pink stuff, if you have the right equipment.... which no one I know does.....

Old 11-05-2022, 10:15 PM
supadoom
Veteran

Nothing stands out to me. It can be as simple as a microscopic crack in a solder joint though. Without getting rid of the red stuff you won't be able to tell unless there was REALLY bad damage. Thankfully it looks like there wasn't any magic smoke.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:21 AM
Joedodge

Just an update. I ordered my new ECM from Flagship 1 about 6 days ago and they said they are still programming it. Hasn’t even shipped yet. I’m not sure if that’s some generic answer they are supposed to give me or if they are just stalling but I feel like it shouldn’t take over 2/3 days to program and ship out a part. Just my opinion.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I agree. Once they have it on their bench, takes about 15 minutes to upload the correct programming, and update the vin.....

Old 11-10-2022, 10:32 PM
supadoom
Veteran

They might have had to order a used one from somewhere. I never believe any that say they actually have a 20 year old computer for 1 specific truck in stock...

Quick Reply: 02 Dakota stalling/dying NO BUS error