2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota automatic transmision

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:06 PM
shrpshtr325
|
THE ULTI-MOD
Default Dodge Dakota automatic transmision

i have 98 dakota sport with a 3.9L V6 magnum and automatic transmision, lately i have noticed the truck not wanting to shift out of second gear and into third, this is fixed only by wiggling the shifter so that the selector just shows the transmision in the Drive position. If i put the truck in gear so that the selector just shows up as drive, on the high side of the gear selector, toward nuetral, it works, as soon as i put it into the position that is supposed to be full drive it doesnt want to shift out of second gear, any help on this would be appreciated and of course the sooner the better because this problem is really bothering me.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:09 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dodge Dakota automatic transmision

Sounds like your in-dash gear indicator might be a little off. If you are able to get into third and fourth gear when the gear shifter is put farther toward nuetral, then that would most likely be the problem.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:10 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

By the way, mine is a little off too. When I am in drive, the little red gear indicator is only half-way under the "D". Ours must have been built on a Friday afternoon.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:21 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

you dont think it has to do with this https://dodgeforum.com/m_663288/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: virused

By the way, mine is a little off too. When I am in drive, the little red gear indicator is only half-way under the "D". Ours must have been built on a Friday afternoon.

Old 02-02-2007 | 08:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: imnothot02

you dont think it has to do with this https://dodgeforum.com/m_663288/tm.htm

This is definately a possibility. However, in that thread, he wasn't able to get into second. In this case, the person is able to get into all gears, it is just showing a little off in gear selector's window.

Old 02-02-2007 | 09:23 PM
shrpshtr325
|
THE ULTI-MOD

yea probably friday afternoon and also probably the last trucks off the line for the day, glad to hear that im not the only one with the problem because i dont know if the problem was there when it was new i just bought the truck in november

Old 02-03-2007 | 02:41 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

mine does that too. and my shifter is a lil loose.

Old 02-03-2007 | 03:37 AM
User
Champion

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

mine does that too. and my shifter is a lil loose.
same here.

Old 02-03-2007 | 06:16 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

You can pull a panel off under the driver side and move the gear selector and look for a peice that moves there is a adjusting ring for slight adjustments worth a shot. Tv cable causes for irratic shifts in almost every gear, it seems like it is just off and may look in d but may be in 2nd. Try adjusting it just turn this plastic type nut which adjusts the cable of course if that fails you can buy a new indictator which will run you 50 bucks...

Old 02-03-2007 | 03:05 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

meh.....I'm not worried about it.... I got bigger things to fix[:@]

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota automatic transmision