2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

drivers side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default drivers side mirror

was adjusting the driver side mirror today while i was out i guess it got hit, but i couldnt see anything but blue in it (the sky) while i was driving, when i went to adjust it toward the cab a little, i cracked the glass, nothing major i can still see ok, but its due for inspection next month and i dont think that it will pass with the mirror like that so does anyone know how to get the glass out of the plastic case, bc i can get the glass for it fairly cheap, but if i cant get the old glass out i dont see a point to getting a new piece. So if anyone knows how to get the old glass out, and put the new one in (i can just reverse the way the old one comes out) i would appreciate the knowledge, Thanks in advance for any help that you guys give me.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: drivers side mirror

it's a PITA to get the glass off of the mirror piece. they have some kind of epoxy from the factory holding it on there.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i need to get the part that has the mirror and glass on it out so that i can put a new one in because the mirror is cracked, but the workings inside the mirror are still good, i just dont want to replace the entire casing, and really cant afford to do it if i can help it

Old 03-24-2007, 10:37 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 30 bucks on the e the bay... ull never get it out but try a junk yard...

Old 03-25-2007, 12:53 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i cannot order from ebay bc i dont have a credit card and the parents dont trust the internet, im going to try and get the part tomorrow, but would love to know how to get the glass off bc i do not have the patience to take the door panel apart to get the mirror off of it, besides, id probably break the door panel taking it off which i would never forgive myself for, but just replacing the glass would be ideal, does anyone know how to get it out????

Old 03-25-2007, 01:27 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

HMMM if ya lived closer id do it for ya!! btw do you have a bank card witha visa ect logo? that works on ebay...

side note you a eagle scout? me too...kinda neat

Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

i dont have any bank card at all, if only 16, this is my first truck, really something that the parents thought was going to be complete POS for my first car, something that i could spend time working on and, yea i am an eagle scout, have been for about a year this july(i get my license in July too), but how did u figure that out from this post???? and if you could let me know how to replace it i dont mind doing it myself, i just dont know how and dont want to break the housing trying

Old 03-25-2007, 01:49 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

the mirror backing is on ball screws it SHOULD pop off... from you pictures i figured that out was seeing if you were here in Iowa most bidders are understanding if you want to send a check too...just takes forever...

Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea well i really just want a quick fix, as the thing is due for inspection next month and wont pass with a busted mirror, and ur observant, u figured that out from the back of my dads truck??? wow!!!!

So ur saying that if i tilt the mirror all the way down there should be screws that i can take out and that is all that holds it on and then i put the new one on and screw it back in place and im done??????? i hope i understood u correctly bc if so then that would be an easy job.

P.S. I made eagle at 15, july 17, 2006 and ill be 17 this july so yea, lifes not bad, but let me know th anks

Old 03-25-2007, 02:09 AM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

the mirror back has pin looking things that sorta grasp the ball screws but yes you should be able to see in there to make sure, mine is a 02 but its dark outside i cant see it rite now... they also sell trim to fit mirror plastic at the autoparts store...but that distorts but then you should be legal for inspection, i think we dont have inspection here you would have to check me on that

Quick Reply: drivers side mirror