2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009
Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L 4LO problem ?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:08 PM
satdude84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowmanDurango
I ordered a new Transfer Case Motor from my local Dodge dealer and installed it on Friday evening. Problem appears to be solved!
I know this is an old thread but Snowman how easy was that TCM swap out and is the problem still solved? I've had the issue for awhile and when I brought it to the dealership they wanted to put a new one in for $1500 parts and labor, I usually do my own work, found the part for $2?? at autozone my part number is the same as stated earlier except the ending is AB which happens to be the more expensive one...
I disconnected the TCM for now and it looks like I'll have to pull the skid plate and I'm not sure but it doesn't look like there's a lot of room to pull the TCM without pulling the Transfer Case, I hope I'm wrong...
Just the part at the dealership was over $1000.00.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 AM
SnowmanDurango

It's not that hard of a job. The transfer case does NOT have to come out, but you will need to support it when you remove the cross member.

I don't have a repair manual, but went to the library and reviewed the steps there. There is one bolt on the motor that is in a tight place, but its not impossible.

I bought my part from the dealer. Non of the local stores had it and most of the on-line sites showed it out of stock.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
satdude84

Originally Posted by SnowmanDurango
It's not that hard of a job. The transfer case does NOT have to come out, but you will need to support it when you remove the cross member.

I don't have a repair manual, but went to the library and reviewed the steps there. There is one bolt on the motor that is in a tight place, but its not impossible.

I bought my part from the dealer. Non of the local stores had it and most of the on-line sites showed it out of stock.

Good luck!

Thanks
How's yours been doing, any issues since swap out?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 AM
SnowmanDurango

Originally Posted by satdude84
Thanks
How's yours been doing, any issues since swap out?
Zero issues.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM
DannyDF
Amateur

So I was thinking, since my problem is is probably in the TiPM,
(since the door unlock button engages the 4WD)

Unplugging the TC keeps it from auto engaging,

Couldn't we look at a schematic, then some where in the circuit run
an interrupt circuit, and have an on off kill switch for the line? When I want to
switch to 4x4 Just turn on the circuit, engage at the selector, then turn it
back off after it's into the desired drive mode? Or use a momentary button
and hold it in while changing the mode, if you're really paranoid that you'd leave it on. (could always put a label near the on/off switch, for anyone else who may drive the car)

or better yet use a relay so when the Neutral Light is on, then
the TC circuit becomes complete and live again?

of course the svc 4wd light would stay on though.. I wonder if the connector can be jumpered so it thinks a circuit is complete and turn off the svc 4wd light? if so the problem could be fixed with a couple of relays.

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 10-20-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM
azcromntic
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyDF
So I was thinking, since my problem is is probably in the TiPM,
(since the door unlock button engages the 4WD)

Unplugging the TC keeps it from auto engaging,

Couldn't we look at a schematic, then some where in the circuit run
an interrupt circuit, and have an on off kill switch for the line? When I want to
switch to 4x4 Just turn on the circuit, engage at the selector, then turn it
back off after it's into the desired drive mode? Or use a momentary button
and hold it in while changing the mode, if you're really paranoid that you'd leave it on. (could always put a label near the on/off switch, for anyone else who may drive the car)

or better yet use a relay so when the Neutral Light is on, then
the TC circuit becomes complete and live again?

of course the svc 4wd light would stay on though.. I wonder if the connector can be jumpered so it thinks a circuit is complete and turn off the svc 4wd light? if so the problem could be fixed with a couple of relays.
DannyDF,

I had a problem with a Land Cruiser a while back where when I locked the door on the driver's side the doors on the passenger side would unlock. I looked into it and found a broken wire that needed to be fixed to complete a circuit that would make the passenger side work correctly. Now, given that has nothing to do with transfer cases and key fobs directly it does make a point.

If you unlock/lock using the key clicker and the transfer case enganges/disengages I'd say your vehicle has a short between those two electric systems or an open wire in one or the other. Without seeing an internal diagram of the TPIM (er whatever it was called) to prove both of those system go into it and doing 'X' to one affects outputs of 'Y' I'd be hesitant to call it the TPIM and spend that much money.

The problem with the Toyota was that the windshield washer fluid for some reason would blow back into the kick panel and coat the wire connector. The fluid eventually rotted the wires right at the connector. Basically I had to trace wires and continuity (using little test light tool) until I found a spot where one side had voltage on a specific wire (from diagram) and other side of connector didn't.

In your case I'd be hard pressed to just replace a $2xxx part without testing first for a short or open. Might cost you like $150 for a wiring diagram and a test light but that's a drop in the bucket. You can splice a wire for like .05 cents and insulate it with a three inch piece of electrical tape borrowed from your neighbor.

Anyway, chasing wires isn't fun but once you do it a couple times it becomes easier and much cheaper than buying parts in order to troubleshoot the problem. (Not that you are doing that but that the dealer or mechanic may not want to chase wires and instead recommend you chase the problem by buying new parts in the system until the problem goes away).

Last edited by azcromntic; 11-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM
mikemr2x
Default 05 Durango switches to 4WD and 4LO by itself

Hi, Can someone tell me where to disconnect the transfer case motor or if there is a fuse I can remove so my 05 Durango no longer switches into 4WD or 4LO by itself even when the car is just sitting. Seems to switch as soon as the doors are unlocked as many have reported but no answer to all this and now is 2019.. 120K miles on the Durango. Thank you in advance!

Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 AM
DannyDF
Amateur

Originally Posted by mikemr2x
Hi, Can someone tell me where to disconnect the transfer case motor or if there is a fuse I can remove so my 05 Durango no longer switches into 4WD or 4LO by itself even when the car is just sitting. Seems to switch as soon as the doors are unlocked as many have reported but no answer to all this and now is 2019.. 120K miles on the Durango. Thank you in advance!
If I recall correctly you can lay down on the ground and get to the plug on the transfer case and unplug it. Make sure your truck is in all wheel drive mode first. You may want to check YouTube for a visual

Old 02-24-2019, 11:57 PM
mikemr2x

Originally Posted by sonhanguyen
My 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L is having the same issue it seems. It started happening 3 weeks ago. First sign of problem was when I was pulling up into my driveway and doing my usual right hand turn into the driveway going about 5mph. My car is a 4-wheel drive and it has never been off AWD mode ... never been switched to any other drives (4Hi or 4LO). When I tried to turn into driveway, my SUV would not turn and actually stopped like brakes were engaged. I had to apply more gas than usual to get it to pull into the driveway which does not have an incline of any sorts. Then, I notice my 4LO light coming on intermittently (flashing on and off for a minute or so) when I drive on the interstate. Then, sometimes, when key is out of the ignition or when I am stopped at red light, I hear a clicking underneath of the car like it is trying to start itself. I wwnt to local Brandon Dodge dealership to diagnosis the problem and they the could not find any problems but I was due for my 65K tuneups and they said my front brakes may be the culprit because it was at 5%. I had my transmission flushed, battery corrosion tuneup done, oil change, air filter and front wheel rotated to the cost of $350+. I decided to get my brakes done at the dealership I bought my SUV at because I get my oil changed their all the time except this one time - they are GMC dealership in Brandon. They called me when they were about to put my front brakes on and they said my brakes were at 50% and that I did not need to change them out yet ... they said the problem may lie with my steering gear and with the cost of parts, labor, and steering flush, it would cost me about $800+ ... too much for me at the moment. Again, my SUV drives fine and everything is working well except when I have to make a tight slow turn left or right, and it feels like it is engaing 4LO gear but again, the switch has never been moved off the AWD ... and this happens sometimes, and not all the time. My mileage is at 74K and beyond the warranty so I will have to eat the cost of the repair but again, I have had 2 different dealerships look at my problem and 2 different answers. Would it be safe for me to assume it is transfer motor case ? and get a new one because GMC dealership would charge me only labor to replace any items I need to ... any help to what my problem is ?

Otherwise, my Durango Hemi is great and this is the first major problem I have with it.
Save time and just unplug the transfer case motor connector. I found it but I have to take to my buddies shop to unplug. The problem is that it switches so frequently now that by the time i get it there before it may switch to 4LO... I found that resetting the computer by unplugging the neg terminal may bye me some time to get it there. Once you unplug the motor it remains stuck in that setting.. I don't want to tow it again..If you don't use 4WD or 4LO this is the quickest solution. Replacing the motor make fix it but is really an electrical issue. My problem started happening cause of sooo much rain lately but maybe coincidental.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 AM
mikemr2x

Thanks DannyDF!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L 4LO problem ?