2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009
Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L 4LO problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
rbsslc
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems strange that the dealers are replacing different part on yours and fixing the problem.

Last edited by rbsslc; 09-02-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wrong Original poster
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM
rbsslc

Originally Posted by sonhanguyen
I finally broke down and put my Dodge into the shop ... the final straw was when I was driving, the Dodge shifted into 4WD by itself. It was difficult to shift back to AWD (had to stop and switched to 4HI, 4LO, AWD for a bit for it to catch back on 4WD) .. and service 4WD light came on too. I took it back to Dodge dealership who told me the first time it was my brakes ... but this time, there was ample indications to point them in the right direction. They stated it was 4X4 Actuator failure. They replaced 4X4 actuator and installed 5143477AA (gear motor: transfer case) .. cost of part was $284.00 & labor was $276.99. Then they have to do MOC transfer motor case & add automatic transmission fluid (fluid cost was $23.40 & labor was addtl $66.55) ... and they charged me shop supplies in the amount of $78.11 .. total cost $780.08. They also found seal leak in rear axle & I need new EGR part (which have cost me another $900 to fix which included differential) ... If you have this same problem .. buy the part yourself and put an ad on craiglist for Dodge mechanic to fix your problem. Good luck out there.
On my first reply I mentioned that my dealer finally replicated my problem after they started using my remote key lock.

They ordered two parts for replacement. A Fuse block(4692013AD - $237.00), this was backordered and will take 5 to 8 weeks to get here, and a FCM (Front Control Modue - $779.00), this was backordered and will probably take 8 to 10 MONTHS to get here.

They also unpluged my 4WD motor so it wouldn't go into 4WD until the parts are replaced.

Seems strange that the dealers are replacing different part on yours and fixing the problem.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
rbsslc

Originally Posted by dsdavis1963
I am having the same problem with my 2005 Durango. It kicks in 4Lo when you try to make a slow sharp turn. I also have the noises when I use the remote to unlock the car. Trying to figure out what to fix.
Read my new message #20.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Aworgess
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4lo trouble

Originally Posted by sonhanguyen
My 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L is having the same issue it seems. It started happening 3 weeks ago. First sign of problem was when I was pulling up into my driveway and doing my usual right hand turn into the driveway going about 5mph. My car is a 4-wheel drive and it has never been off AWD mode ... never been switched to any other drives (4Hi or 4LO). When I tried to turn into driveway, my SUV would not turn and actually stopped like brakes were engaged. I had to apply more gas than usual to get it to pull into the driveway which does not have an incline of any sorts. Then, I notice my 4LO light coming on intermittently (flashing on and off for a minute or so) when I drive on the interstate. Then, sometimes, when key is out of the ignition or when I am stopped at red light, I hear a clicking underneath of the car like it is trying to start itself. I wwnt to local Brandon Dodge dealership to diagnosis the problem and they the could not find any problems but I was due for my 65K tuneups and they said my front brakes may be the culprit because it was at 5%. I had my transmission flushed, battery corrosion tuneup done, oil change, air filter and front wheel rotated to the cost of $350+. I decided to get my brakes done at the dealership I bought my SUV at because I get my oil changed their all the time except this one time - they are GMC dealership in Brandon. They called me when they were about to put my front brakes on and they said my brakes were at 50% and that I did not need to change them out yet ... they said the problem may lie with my steering gear and with the cost of parts, labor, and steering flush, it would cost me about $800+ ... too much for me at the moment. Again, my SUV drives fine and everything is working well except when I have to make a tight slow turn left or right, and it feels like it is engaing 4LO gear but again, the switch has never been moved off the AWD ... and this happens sometimes, and not all the time. My mileage is at 74K and beyond the warranty so I will have to eat the cost of the repair but again, I have had 2 different dealerships look at my problem and 2 different answers. Would it be safe for me to assume it is transfer motor case ? and get a new one because GMC dealership would charge me only labor to replace any items I need to ... any help to what my problem is ?

Otherwise, my Durango Hemi is great and this is the first major problem I have with it.
Sounds llike your tcase is locked it has clutches inside because of it being all wheel drive . If you havent changed the fluid in the case in may need too be done I know this because I have over powered mine mashing the pedal and spinning the front wheels . I ask the dealer whats up and that is what they told me

Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
hower5
Default Transfer Case Problem

We all seem to be having the same issues. I have been going through this for over a year now. I have had 3 transfer caser motors replaced, and a complete transfer case rebuild. I am still having the same issue. The dealership has now said that I have a short in the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). The estimate to fix it is $2300. I don't think that this is the problem. IF I did have a short in the TIPM it would do it all of the time, of which it does not. I read earlier in the thread that someone elses delaership thought it was the fuse box. I think that actually might be the correct fix. If the person with the fuse box does get it fixed and it works, please let the rest of us know. If this many people are having problems, wouldn't this be considered a safety issue? Would that not constitute a recall? This could have serious effects when driving on the freeway!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
rbsslc
Default Fuse Block

I am the one that the dealer thought it was the fuse block under the dash or hood or whatever. I will let everyone know if this fixes my problem.

WARNING...to those of you that keep driving your Durango without fixing the problem, becareful as the vehicle could pop into 4lo while your driving at a higher speed and it will certainly blow something out and you could possibly lose control of your vehicle on the freeway.

I was going about 25 miles an hour when mine flipped into 4lo and it felt like someone had rear-ended my vehicle and then the rear wheels locked. I thought it was over for my running gear but after I pulled over and played around with turning the car on and off and switching the manual switch back and forth, I was able to limp back to my house.

Long story Short....have your dealer unplug the 4wheel drive linkage until you can get help.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 AM
dsdavis1963
Default 4LO Problem

I had mine kick in 4LO. It did not want to disengage. I found that if you disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, and then reconnect it, the 4LO would drop out.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
bham

My 2005 Durango 5.7 Hemi has also had the same 4Lo problems as mentioned. It went into the shop on September 23, 2010 waiting on a power distribution center and front control module. The parts came in to my dealer on November 8, 2010. I picked it up on November 9, 2010. Thursday November 11, 2010 it acted up again and 4Lo locked in. Had to have it towed. Today, November 12, 2010 my dealership could not find anything wrong. No codes came up!!!!! Wow ! What to do??? Drive it and risk tearing something up or even risk the safety of driver and passengers! I just spend 1200.00 bucks to fix nothing! If anyone had their problem resolved, please let me know. I have three Dodge vehicles sitting in my drive and this Durango is by far been nothing but trouble!!! Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

THe 2005 seems to be plagued with problems such as the dash recall (fire hazzard), gas overflow problem and now the transfer case. I hate to say it, but I would get rid of any vehicle that compromised my safety or the safety of my daughters. I have Durangos for eight years (first and second generation) without a major problem and I have two classic Dodges, but sometimes you have to draw a line,
FF

Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
bham
Default 2005 Durango 4Lo issues

Thanks for your response, fascistfaction! Does anyone think that either a battery with low voltage or a faulty dial selector on the dash could be causing the problems? My Dodge tech doesn't seem to think so and he doesn't seem to think it is a transfer case issue either! I'm just trying to figure different options since my Durango isn't showing any codes for the tech to go from. Apparently on Monday, November 15 they are going to call the Star tech hotline. Can anyone tell me about this? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi 5.7L 4LO problem ?