2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

air intake, pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:11 PM
blackDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake, pic

I ordered a MAC kit but got sent the wrong one, so I made this for $28. Let me know what you think.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30537/3BE1CFC4B4ED4366A572496C04E83E46.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2006, 11:37 PM
HEMI5PNTSVN
Rookie
Default RE: air intake, pic

Very Nice! I would put a smaller clamp on or trim that one, but very nice. Let's here what you used to build this and what kind of gains have you noticed. You did disconnect the battery to reset computer and recal gas pedal? I like where you put the oil breather, what did you use?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:10 AM
blackDurango

Following your post I did disconnect the battery. The fitting was a heater hose connector, it's threaded and screwed itself right into the 3/4 hole. I also coated the threads with clear seal all to make sure it wouldn't leak there and locked it in place. I replaced the clamp with a new shorter one to clean up the looks a little bit. I used a muffler hanger to mount it to the radiator support toward the front, this lets it give a little bit but not much. I might plug the hole for the oil breather and go with a filter like you did.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 AM
dafaic

don't hate me blackdurango but there is a problem. Noone else noticed or said anything. By placing the hose in the location you did you are no longer filtering the air from the oil fill tube to the TB. This is not good as you can end up sucking oil striaght out of the motor. If you notice on the top of the original airbox it chambers the air from that hose all the way down to the filter keeping the engine from sucking oil. I have a homemade intake as well and will post tomorrow. I have a small oil/airfilter thing as well similar to HEMI5. I suggest getting a small filter sooner rathger than later or putting a large clear fuel filter in line which will also work. Go clear that way you know when to clean it out as it will eventually fill up.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:43 AM
HEMI5PNTSVN
Rookie

Good catch on that dafaic, it also looks cleaner with the oil air breather filter attached. Let's see some photo's dafaic, you can see mine on changing the look of my engine. Black Durango, still no word if you can tell the difference, also doesn't it sound pretty cool when your cruising down the street and you rev it a little.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
dafaic

i will have pics later today. Mine is not fancy i have replaced the whole thing with 3" flex tube no more air silencers doesn't say hemi on the motor anymore. I put a chrome oil breather on the end of the other hose. I used a plumbing rubber hose connector and cut a hole in it and and put the sensor in that. I did this part in the home depot parking lot took me 15 minutes. Started the project at home and took about 30 minutes. Flex hose is from auto zone and was $20.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
blackDurango

Uh oh, that's not good! I wonder why no oil backs up into the stock air box then? In stock form it still has suction through that hose right? I love the sound by the way and it passes effortlessly now. Real cool

Old 03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
dafaic

well give it time the oil has to make it's way there first but it will happen once the hose is coated inside the problem will really show it's ugly face as it will just run specially during WOT.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
blackDurango

I have a Summitt catch can new in the box somewhere around here, that would look cool under the hood and should do just the trick! We are going out of town today so I'll be checking for oil in the hose along the way. Got the stock box in the trunk just incase.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 PM
dafaic

CATCHCAN WILL WORK NICE!!!

Here are pics of my intake and dirty engine bay. I live on a gravel road.

Quick Reply: air intake, pic