2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

eyelids

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 08:52 PM
Kalevra
|
Record Breaker
Default eyelids

Ok, I ordered precut eyelids for my car. I just had a friend who does vinyls and he could not do it without having it wrinkle and bubble because of the contour in the headlights and all.. he tried to do it wet and no luck... how can I do this?!? I need suggestions or a correct way to do it

We didnt use a heat gun, should we have?

Old 05-17-2007 | 08:59 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: eyelids

Should have bought fiberglass or CF eyelids...thats why I havent bought eyelids yet, because I dont want to deal with the hassle of installing vinyl and the affect it has on your headlight if you try and take them off.

Old 05-17-2007 | 11:12 PM
SlowSXT03
Rookie

def. shoulda went with CF or fiberglass lids. my buddy got the vinyl ones, and he had trouble with em bubbling too. they dont look good @ all to be quite honest. but to each his own i guess...

but, i agree with 03neonRT - fiberglass and CF for sure

Old 05-18-2007 | 12:44 AM
AirWolf

Im going with a set of s style in fiberglass already painted for 80 bucks shipped from a guy thats on ebay and on srt forums . They look awesome . Just didnt want use the shorty vinyl Im sellin for 5bucks shipped to someone on here. Way cooler to install on my black housings .

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:33 AM
xenoneon
Rookie

yeah vinyl suxs...i tried puttin them on and they looked retarded....so i got angry and riped them off.....what is the name of the dealer on ebay that sells the fiberglass one.

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:35 AM
blocks885
Veteran

I did the vinyl, actually did it twice--one set of black underneath and the silver set on the top to match my car, came out quite good I might add. I cleaned it real good with alcohol, and then used a lil bit of soap in warm water, peeled the backing away, remembered which side was the sticky side..wet a little and then placed sticky side down on headlights. Used a hair dryer and I have a squeege made to apply tint or vinyl, if you don't have one go to wal-mart and go to the tint section in automotive, you'll see a squeegee (a mini rubber one, not a window size one with some application) do NOT use the application spray that's for tint. And use that with the hair dryer to contour it to your car. It took me a good five to ten minutes to work it and dry it but I had maybe two small air bubbles on the first side and the second side I wound up with none. The two, I popped with a pin later that day after it dried.

It's not that bad, it was my first time applying a vinyl decal (the eyelids) to the car. Just do it slow and take your time, it does take a while to work it dry but a hair dryer and the squeege will get it...

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:36 AM
blocks885
Veteran

Here's a picture...

[IMG]local://upfiles/46402/F04ED8DA9AFF42CEB10DD38755231317.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:37 AM
xenoneon
Rookie

nice
i ordered the same kind....i was kinda in a rush lol

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:33 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Pretty much what he said. I installed the rockblocker on my headlights twice and once on my foglights. Basically clean headlights first, wet area down, put rockblocker/eyelids or whatever it is. Move around until it is positioned correctly. I have a small plastic squeegee. Then get the squeegee out and start pushing the bubbles out. You can use a hair dryer but just be careful with it. My headlights have no bubbles on them at all. Take your time is probably most important.

Old 05-18-2007 | 03:28 PM
AirWolf

Its pretty much the same thing with installing custom graphics and windsheild banner which I just did 2 days ago. I think fiberglass ones or cf ones are alot easier to install. I found some cf cbd eyelids pretty cheap went with those instead.

Quick Reply: eyelids