2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

inexpensive upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
AirWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: inexpensive upgrades

Yeah a srt exhaust is a nice exhaust setup and cheap also and a glasspack is not expensive either.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
antitrustspider
Veteran

Removing the spare tire and jack would be good, unless you get a flat. Some good platinum spark plugs is a cheap upgrade. MSD wires and coil would cost around $100. A cheap cold air intake from ebay is an easy mod. Rear part of the SRT-4 exhaust shouldn't be too expensive and then you can get rid of that restrictive muffler.

Racing stripes and stickers always add about 50 horse power and will drop for less than $50.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Roughly, for every 100lb of weight reduction you get a tenth of a second on the quarter mile...so unless your doing other weight reduction, removing the spare tire and jack will be so insignificant you might as well not even bother. The MSD coil pack has the same output as the stock coilpack, so you not going to get anything from it (except it looks nicer), the wires have less resistance, but your only going to get a smoother idle. An Ebay cold air intake is a cheap option, but they have poor quality and come with an even worse quality filtyer, so you would want to upgrade to a K&N cone filter. The SRT-4 rear section wont give you any performance gains, and if you installed it you would have to add a glasspack to the midpipe, so your still not gaining any performance.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
antitrustspider
Veteran

Gaining even a fraction of a section for a mod that costs $0 is pretty damn good if you ask me.

MSD coils, as well as the wires, have less resistance than the stock ones, which is more efficient.

Purpose of buying an ebay CAI would be for the tubing, not the filter.

SRT-4 rear section would give you an increase since it would cut out the muffler. And why would you need to add a glasspack?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: antitrustspider

Gaining even a fraction of a section for a mod that costs $0 is pretty damn good if you ask me.
Unless your doing additional weight reduction, removing the spare would be pointless. The gain in your quarter mile time would be sooo insignificant you wouldnt be able to distinguish it from any normal variation in your times.

MSD coils, as well as the wires, have less resistance than the stock ones, which is more efficient.
Sure they have less resistance, but your not gaining anything from them except a smoother idle from the wires.

The tubing is also poor quality, they have additional welds and possible fitment issues (take Adionik for example in the other thread). Thee only plus you have is the price...

SRT-4 rear section would give you an increase since it would cut out the muffler. And why would you need to add a glasspack?
A rear section alone will not give you an increase in power, because you still have the taper on the midpipe and the stock STH. You need a glasspack because there is no muffler, and no resonator in the midpipe (the SRT-4 midpipe has two resonators). Without the glasspack your Neon will sound like a lawnmower...

Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Adionik
Champion

Yah i have an ebay cai and its ****. Clearance is horrible and i had to make my own mounting bracket. I don't know where else it can sit though without rubbing the tire. This thing sucks.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 PM
antitrustspider
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Unless your doing additional weight reduction, removing the spare would be pointless. The gain in your quarter mile time would be sooo insignificant you wouldnt be able to distinguish it from any normal variation in your times.

Sure they have less resistance, but your not gaining anything from them except a smoother idle from the wires.

The tubing is also poor quality, they have additional welds and possible fitment issues (take Adionik for example in the other thread). Thee only plus you have is the price...

A rear section alone will not give you an increase in power, because you still have the taper on the midpipe and the stock STH. You need a glasspack because there is no muffler, and no resonator in the midpipe (the SRT-4 midpipe has two resonators). Without the glasspack your Neon will sound like a lawnmower...
If resistance has nothing to do with performance, why wouldhigher voltage cause better performance?

And however horrid it may sound, it still probably has better air flow than the stock neon exhaust. I've seen Honda's at the speedway that sound so horrible, it makes me want to shoot myself, but they can still run 11 and 12 second quarter miles.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

If resistance has nothing to do with performance, why wouldhigher voltage cause better performance?

And however horrid it may sound, it still probably has better air flow than the stock neon exhaust. I've seen Honda's at the speedway that sound so horrible, it makes me want to shoot myself, but they can still run 11 and 12 second quarter miles.
The voltage isnt going to change because the PCM is controlling everything spark related...so your not going to see any gain in performance. Comparing the no doubt open track exhausts of 11 and 12 second Hondas to the exhaust of a 16 second basically stock street driven Neon is pretty dumb dont you think? The fact is your not going to see any performance gains from any rear section exhaust alone because you still have the poor flowing stock intake manifold, poor flowing stock exhaust manifold, poor flowing head, poor flowing midpipe from the taper down to 1 7/8". Now, if you added an aftermarket catback exhaust, or the R/T midpipe, you might see some gains. But your not going to with just the rear section alone because everything before the rear section still sucks.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:44 PM
antitrustspider
Veteran

The voltage isnt going to change because the PCM is controlling everything spark related...so your not going to see any gain in performance. Comparing the no doubt open track exhausts of 11 and 12 second Hondas to the exhaust of a 16 second basically stock street driven Neon is pretty dumb dont you think? The fact is your not going to see any performance gains from any rear section exhaust alone because you still have the poor flowing stock intake manifold, poor flowing stock exhaust manifold, poor flowing head, poor flowing midpipe from the taper down to 1 7/8". Now, if you added an aftermarket catback exhaust, or the R/T midpipe, you might see some gains. But your not going to with just the rear section alone because everything before the rear section still sucks.
I was referring to your comment that the MSD coil has the same voltage as the stock one, therefore not really having an effect. I was wondering why the voltage would make a difference and why resistance wouldn't?

Also the comment about 11 and 12 second Honda's was just referring to the sound of the car, not the actual performance. And are you saying that cutting out a muffler isn't going to give any performance upgrade? Cutting out a poor flowing muffler seems to be a good thing. And since we are talking about inexpensive upgrades, $50 for a rear section of the exhaust is more inexpensive than a $300 exhaust set-up.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
AirWolf

I have a ebay custom intake its custom because of the way I have it setup and what custom filter I have thats awesome lookin and just as good as the K&n one I trade back and forth anyways a intake is an intake only difference is the filter and the name you only pay more money because of the name not the intake . My acr had a injen intake which my ebay intake was just as good as that one . my srt exhaust Im not loosing any power or do I have backpressure becasuse of the glasspack. Have had the intake on since I got her back in 04 and the srt custom exhaust has been on for 2yrs. So you wanta cheap exhaust srt is for you and you want a cheap intake ebay is the way to go.

Quick Reply: inexpensive upgrades