2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

More horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 12:36 AM
NeonGal27
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More horsepower

Ok. I am not all that knowledgable when it comes to working on vehicles. I have a 2001 neon and would like to see if there is a way to increase horsepower. Some people have told me about a "computer chip" or something but I have no idea. I am not rich and I am not wanting to create a huge project but I just thought there may be some part or some component out there that I could put to use. Any replies would be helpful. I would like to start working on my car more. I have modified it to the limit expect for the engine compartment. Thanks. Any mods you can think of let me know too. I uploaded new pictures today in my gallery if you would like to see what I am working with.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:39 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: More horsepower

for intros, you can get a cold air intake, with a good filter. also, putting better exhaust such as a header and high flow cat will help.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:07 AM
casper
Legend

The only thing you can do as far as chip for the car is to get a performace PCM. The stock PCm is not programable. Those "chips" that they sell on ebay are garbage and do nothing. A performance PCM is gonna run you about $300. There are many other things that you can do that do not require much knowledge like a cold air intake, motor mounts, an exhuast header, high flow cat, performance exhuast. those are a good place to start. There are many performance parts out there for the neon. Take a look at modernperformance.com and howellautomotive.com, that will give you a good idea what is out there. After you figure out what you want try the dodge forum sponsers, they should give you a better deal.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
NeonGal27
Veteran

Whats a cold air intake ???? Where can I get it and what do I say to the parts guy? "I need a cold air intake for a 2001 neon?" Honestly. Thanks
ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

for intros, you can get a cold air intake, with a good filter. also, putting better exhaust such as a header and high flow cat will help.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:25 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

no..if you search ebay for a cold air intake, or CAI for a 2001 neon....or look for "AEM intakes" for your car.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:33 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Most the ebay intakes aren't that great. They are basically a hot air intake, which is hardly better than stock. Take a look at the AEM or Iceman. They cost more, but they will get the filter out of the engine bay, which many of those ebay ones do not do.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:42 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

hey now..i bought an ebay intake for my RT...and its great...granted..it isnt pretty blue..or pretty red...but it was 300 less...

Old 12-17-2004, 01:54 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Notice I said *most*? Even brand new the AEM or Iceman run around 200, might be able to find one used for less, or maybe one on ebay, but its unlikely.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:00 AM
casper
Legend

Yeah just ask for a cold air intake. Iceman and AEM are the only good ones that I have heard of. Stay away form anything that says short ram. And you may find something used cheaper, but any of the ebay $20 cai are garbage. I paid $200 for my iceman and for what it is its a rip-off, but for the performance it gives you its worth it.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:58 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 2001, you can use the stock box and filter, but need to remove the resonator box in the inner fenderwell and modify the elbow from the box into the engine compartment. This will give you a true CAI for nothing. When purchasing a catback, be aware that there were some variations in pipe connections in the first two years of the Gen2 Neon. MAke sure the kit has a provision for this. Gains from a catback are minimal. Headers are very loud on Neons, be prepared for an increase in the interior noise.

If you make changes to the exhaust, you may want to consider a new throttlebody as well. They work together and will allow max. gains with other mods.

Quick Reply: More horsepower