2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

This could keep you out of jail literally

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This could keep you out of jail literally

I wrote this to be first gen specific, but the general laws and rules listed applies to all cars in cali

thought that title would get some attention, cause this is important for all to read

Well, for everyone in california wanting to moda neon, and for everyone on there that ever gives advice to someone in california on modding a neon, here are the official "rules"

theresno way to turbo the stock 2.0 and be legal here in cali

theres no way to get around the registration by registering it in another state unless thats your permanent address (this is a felony to attempt this and poses serious fines and state prison time)

all aftermarket parts that have ANYTHING to do with emissions, (header, cat, throttle body, computer, intake manifold, air intake setup, and all internal parts and engine electrical parts, must be either direct stock replacements or have a CARB Exemption number)
As for parts I know of that are CARB Exempted, these are about it (pace setter headers, iceman intake, possibly the mopar intake available on jegs for a whopping $474)
The mopar computer is legal, as long as you take it to a dealer to get flashed with your vin and mileage.

none of the aftermarket cams are legal, neither is switching to the 95 or magnum cam, or raising the compression, however, these are things that no one would ever know should you be able to still pass the sniffer test. whatever you do, just make sure it can still pass, and remember some stations are more strict on the visual inspection then others, learn to find the leniant ones

on tothe engine swaps

for rules apply to engine swaps in california

1 - must be from the same year or newer car
2 - if your car came with a california engine (all automatics sold in california had the tlev engine, this applies to them), then it must be replaced with the same (meaning tlev engine can only be swapped with a tlev engine from the same kind of car
3 - it must retain all original smog equipment
4 - it must be approved by the Beaureu of Automotive Repair Referee after installation

more interesting things, its illegal to tamper with the catalytic converter in any state, however enforcement of this is left to the local governments, in california they will call the cops if you come into a smog station without one

tranny swaps, it looks like you have to register your tranny swap with the dmv, as the smog process here in california goes by the type of transmission you have, i dont know if switching the computer automatically takes care of this, im going to look into it

Old 06-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Exubus
Champion
Default RE: This could keep you out of jail literally

You know you could probably get away with a lot of this like you mentioned, just because of the fact that most people are not going to care or maybe even notice different cams, and other internal parts such as pistons, heads, etc etc. Good idea to have the CARB exept cert but as long as the factory emissions or Cali emissions are there, I don't see much of a problem.

Anyone here been fined for something on their car that wasn't obvious, or had the cops called on them before or during a smog test?

EASIEST MOD TIP IN THIS FORUM: Move out of California! Muah-ha ha ha haaa!!![sm=badbadbad.gif] LOL j/k

Old 06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
et_agus
Professional

EASIEST MOD TIP IN THIS FORUM: Move out of California! Muah-ha ha ha haaa!!![sm=badbadbad.gif] LOL j/k
LMAO!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: et_agus

LMAO!
Even the noobs get a chuckle, damn I'm good lol j/k... man I need to lay off the booze ... [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 AM
01neon01
Veteran

ORIGINAL: IowaNeon04

LOL what kind of crazy nonsense is this?!?! move out and deal with snow and all those other absurb weather conditons?!?! no thanks lol

on a more serious note you can get away with having mods on you neon. i had my car smogged a couple monthts ago. i have an AEM CAI (yes it has the carb sticker), 60 mm MPX tb, and a UDP. i think the guys were kinda thrown off by the TB because well if you didnt know any better it looks stock.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

ya, thats very true 01neon01

it all depends on the smog people

i have the 3.0L cai, 60mm throttle body and a differant cam and my smog guy didnt mine, he agress with me that the CARB certifications are rediculous

just find a good smog guy if you live here

Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

ORIGINAL: 01neon01
LOL what kind of crazy nonsense is this?!?! move out and deal with snow and all those other absurb weather conditons?!?! no thanks lol
yea, because there are never absurb weather conditions, no wild fires, no landslides, no smog, no traffic... in California.
.. now they tell us of all the mods you CANT do...AND these inspections that most states dont even have?

Why would anyone even want to move there, let alone not want to move out of the state?!?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:10 AM
blackflame
Captain

Yeah...I have always thought that state was on drugs or something. I will never move there just because of the government. I like the states weather but...the government is insane. Especially after that body builing actor became the governor. I just think thats funny. I'm sure Arnold has to know something to be voted in. But you never know if it was just because he was the terminator or not. I mean, could you resist voting against the terminator? lol

Old 06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Exubus
Champion

Hey, he kept telling us he'd be back... didn't he? lol

Old 06-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Andpto
All Star

this why i love florida..