2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
et_agus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating

So when I'm driving my car sounds fine, then when I hit a bump, something like a small dip while accelerating the front vibrates like crazy. like a "VOOM" (I know you can't hear that, lol). It kinda sounds like my CAI when it's around 3500 rpm. Could it maybe be the engine mount letting the vibrating engine rub or hit something? Any suggestions or similar stories?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Exubus
Champion
Default RE: Vibrating

Hate to bust your nugs but I can think of a bunch of things it may be for a bunch of different reasons... do you have more specifics that you could share with us to narrow it down a bit?

Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 PM
et_agus
Professional

the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side. I was parked in the driveway and had my friend shake the front while i accelerated just to see if it was something we could recreate, but no, just while i'm driving

Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: et_agus

the noise seems to be coming from the passenger side. I was parked in the driveway and had my friend shake the front while i accelerated just to see if it was something we could recreate, but no, just while i'm driving
He must run REALLLLLLLY FAST! [sm=escape.gif][sm=escape.gif] LOL j/k

Hmm at 3500 rpm I don't know, could be the heat shield above your manifold... could be your CAI if it's loose or rubbing on something. Is it just a vibrating noise, or a vibration you can actually feel through the car? If you can feel it in the car, I would suggest a then it could be a motor mount(s) as u described, but if you can't feel it then I would suspect not... usually when the mounts go bad you get a 'jerk-jerk-jerk" when you go over a bump when on the gas... bad struts usually will be a series of thuds, unless you have a loose spring retainer then it might rattle, but that's a really small possibility too... hmm if it's only under 2000 rpm or so then it's just valvetrain noise coming out of your CAI... other than that, I guess I (or someone else) would have to hear it to figure it out...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 PM
et_agus
Professional

haha! no no no, it was in park.
It's mainly a vibration sound, but i can slightly feel it through the steering wheel. I guess it's not the mount. Or the struts. There's no rattling.
Maybe you're right about the valvetrain noise. I just started noticing the noise though. I'll ask at school. thanks man!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be that the top hats on the struts are shot... or that his steering rack is loose or damaged... hmmm the brake rotors could be warp(ed/ping) or something along those lines.... oh oh oh it might be that the CAI is vibrating on the splash guard b/c it turned itself just ever so slightly... if it is a loud hum then that is prolly the problem... try to recreate it with the car running and the hood open and immediatly when it happens grab the CAI tube (dont move it just hold it) and see if the noise goes away if it does then it is just rubbing on the splash guard down in the fender well there

Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

maybe even the brakes.man theres a bunch of stuff..iowa your retarted lol jk

Old 06-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Exubus
Champion

Damn guys, good call... let's not forget the aliens that planted the chip in the car to track him wherever he goes too... [sm=badidea.gif]

Jeez you would think my name was AirWolf by the response.

LOL! LOL!!!!!!!! j/k...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Undesolved
Veteran

so you revved your engine to 3500 rpm, in park?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:13 PM
et_agus
Professional

No not in park, while i'm driving...
Anyway, after all, it is the CAI rubbing on the side marker light in the fender well.

Quick Reply: Vibrating