2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

awd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default awd conversion

Has anyone heard of someone doing a stealth 3.0 awd twin turbo conversion on a neon? I have seen a conversion of a 3.0 out of a dynasty or minivan in a 1st gen.
here is the 3.0 non turbo non awd conversion
http://v6neon.homestead.com/V6SRT.html

Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just wanna donkey punch you square in the head right now.... that was by far the biggest waste of my time (clickin' on that link)... I thought it was actually going to be an interesting contribution... Disappointing... anyways.. NO ONE in their right mind would even consider doing an AWD conversion to a neon b/c all of our weight advantage would fly out the window, as well as loss of a lot of power through the drivetrain, but the biggest preventative factor is that there just isn't enough room for the AWD center diff well actually there just isn't room for even a RWD conversion (no space for driveshaft)... so ummm we're kinda stuck with wrong wheel drive unless you wanna drop a neon body onto a different chassis and go from there....?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

Do you have no faith in anything? Fabrication is the biggest thing. So you may have to cut a hole in the floor for a driveshaft and get two rear bucket seats. If you had enough determination you could make a full frame for the neon and drop a LA small block in it and make it RWD. Sorry i was just thinking it would be neat to have a AWD V6 neon.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Adionik
Champion

It wouldn't be a neon anymore, and you'd be out of the cash that could've been put towards an Evo that would stomp it STOCK

Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

Yeah, but it's still a mopar not an import. I'm sorry that i even brought this up i just thought it'd be a cool idea. I'll just stick to building my truck because 4 cylinders just aren't enough.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dodge doesn't make a single V6 in my opinion that is worth anyones time or effort... at least not recently... most of their V6s are made to me gas savers that they put into their econ-o boxes... thats what my opinion is anyways... and the amount of fabrication involved out-weighs the cost of buying a newer faster car to begin with, with more power and more potential than our cars could ever hope to have...

Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

well first of all, i have thought about doing a rear wheel drive conversion on a neon...... accually i owned on a while back, after looking into it though (318 was the engine i was looking at getting) the car would of had SO much mods done, and with the price of steel latly i scrapped the idea, it was going to cost me in the ball part of about 15-20k to do the swap, that includes, full roll cage, engine, trans, rearend, custom drive shaft, moving fire wall, tubbing the car, and all the sheet metal, not worth it if u ask me, that would of been a N/A car, where it would of been heavy as ****, and prolly not of gotten out of its own way.... i will be much happier with my car that i have now, than the other one... and if four cylinders are not enough for u stock, then add turbo.... working on 400whp in mine as we speak...

and the awd thing is a good idea if u ask me, but as i just stated, for the most part anything u do to convert it to awd u would have to do with a rwd converstion....

Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM
darrylistheman.srt
Default They are all right.

Trying to do an awd conversion is the most insanely difficult thing to do to a front wheel drive car. No person in they'r right mind would try. and if they did they would start with an awd chassis and convert the body. it just ain't practical. As far as a rear wheel drive. It can be done with a little cross species blend of toyota or nissan with your dodge. RB26dett would be an ideal swap if you had all the time and patience in the world. Oh and all the money too. Cuz once you finally get in the 290hp it comes stock with you have another 10g to spend to make it compete with anything. Yes it would be unique and prolly one of a kind, and something extremely cool to brag about. The final decission is yours we aint gonna tell you no, but a word of advice. Tkae the 30g's you would spend on this and turn your fwd into something nasty. then you will have something to brag about.

04 Electric blue SRT-4; DCR 2.6L stroker, DCR pro-series head, DCR twin turbo E01's, 5 layer HG, MSD ignition, AFC-Neo, 750cc injecter, AGP mounts, Stage 4 clutchmaster, DCR fuel pump with bottleneck delete, 3.5" straight from turbo to the great outdoors. 625hp on race gas. 505hp on 93 octane. 10's all day long baby!!! All throttle no bottle.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

Well people like me can do all this work themselves instead of sending it out to have someone else do it. You don't have to be the best metal worker or fabricator. You will respect and love your vehicle more with all the hard work you did and take pride in making it unique. Some people will like it and of course there will be nay sayers there always are but as long as your happy with your vehicle thats what matters most. Not how much you dropped in it. That means nothing as far as i'm concernded. If a neon pulled up with the 4 cylinder all built and completely modified done by a shop i'd walk away from it, then a neon pulled up with a V8 and looked ****ty and ran ****ty i wouldn't care the person was putting there all into the car doing it all himself it would be a better vehicle than the show neon..

Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Adionik
Champion

These cars aren't worth it

Quick Reply: awd conversion